A bit blurried vision with VR

• Finally received two days ago my Oculus Rift and Touch controllers. Set everything up today with success and have to admit this is a whole new experience for me, simply awesome!. Congrats to IPACS for such a wonderful sim in VR mode.

Since I have a GTX 1080ti, I'm using a 1.95 RSF (noticed a little bit of stuttering with RSF = 2.00, and decided to go down to 1.95, which is still good in visuals). All is good, except that I get the buttons and LCD displays on the Learjet a bit blurried, and have to "come close" to the panel to read them better. Is there something I'm missing to make the visuals sharper?. Is it something to do with the Nvidia Control Panel?.

Any suggestions please!.

Cheers, Ed

• I wouldn't recommend setting anything other than default settings in the NVidia Control Panel.

With the GTX 1080ti you should be able to run all of your settings at ULTRA with ease. The only thing that you can really do is set Render Scale Factor for sharpness but if you get any stuttering or more aliasing issues set at your 1.95 I would lower it to maybe 1.50 as that's the recommended Oculus setting with the 1080ti. You might be seeing aliasing rather than blurriness here.

You may not be used to the lower resolution yet coming from a 2D monitor but it will grow on you.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Congratulations on acquiring your new hardware!

I bought the Oculus Rift a few months ago and overall, I've been impressed.

I still haven't gotten around to upgrading my graphics card. I'm slumming it with the Nvidia GTX960 that came with my system. Surprisingly it actually does a reasonable job but inevitably it isn't perfect - little doubt I could benefit from a higher frame rate.

In my experience the headset can let you down under certain circumstances. It could certainly benefit from a higher resolution display - the symptoms you describe could just be down to that.

I'm assuming you have made sure you have the latest drivers installed for your hardware, particularly the graphics card and have tried adjusting the lens slider located on the underside of the headset - that alone can make a vast difference.

Your graphics card is certainly up to the job. Perhaps others with a similar hardware spec might be able to offer more insight.

I'm certainly enjoying Aerofly FS 2 in VR, Good luck.

I'm assuming you have made sure you have the latest drivers installed for your hardware, particularly the graphics card and have tried adjusting the lens slider located on the underside of the headset - that alone can make a vast difference.

Just wanted to echo this. There is a 'lens adjustment' screen you can go to with the Rift where it shows you green crosshairs and gives you instructions on how to adjust that slider and also make sure it's optimally aligned to your eyes. Having this set properly makes a huge difference in perceived sharpness.

If it's adjusted correctly, the center of your vision shouldn't necessarily look blurry... it should just look like you don't have quite enough pixels there for it to look sharp like a modern phone or computer monitor, if that makes any sense. In other words, the pixels that are there should look sharp, it will just look like there aren't as many as you'd like :)

I agree with very much with Jeff... after you get used to it you don't really notice lower resolution as much, and for me I could never go back to 2D sim flying. The sense of depth and scale, being immersed in the cockpit, being able to look around in every direction, knowing by eye how far off the runway you are... it's a completely different experience.

• I agree with very much with Jeff... after you get used to it you don't really notice lower resolution as much, and for me I could never go back to 2D sim flying. The sense of depth and scale, being immersed in the cockpit, being able to look around in every direction, knowing by eye how far off the runway you are... it's a completely different experience.

Hope so, but what you say is absolutely right. I don't see myself flying 2D again.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers, Ed

• I'm assuming you have made sure you have the latest drivers installed for your hardware, particularly the graphics card and have tried adjusting the lens slider located on the underside of the headset - that alone can make a vast difference.

Yes, but not the latest drivers. There's a big red message in Oculus Support website recommending not to use the latest ones, but the 388.59 (Nvidia) instead. And yes, I've have adjusted the sliders of the headset, but will try again and recheck.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers, Ed

• Nvidia has a history as long as VR of having all too frequent driver releases that cause all sorts of issues for people in VR. My experience has been to get a good driver and stick with it until there’s a good reason to upgrade or a significant performance or feature release, and then only upgrade after reports are all-clear for issues. Most of their releases are just tweaks for new games anyway and generally are of no consequence except for introducing stutters and such in VR that then get fixed in another release.

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, 2 dof Motion, Valve Index

• @Ed,

One issue for instrument panel clarity is to "scoot" your seat (eyepoint) up as far forward as seems reasonable - each aircraft requires different adjustments. When you look straight down, you should feel like you are just ahead of your seat. I move my seat around using my POV hat on the joystick and connect that to the Move forward/aft/left/right that are available as Controls in the Controls->View TAB at the very bottom (you have to scroll down to see them). You can also set your seat up/down with keyboard keys or more buttons.

Just for a test of your VR setup WRT the instrument panel is that the gauges of the Pitts Special should be extremely clear since they are very close to your eyepoint. I find the F-15/F-18 are very clear but the A320 especially has colors on the EFIS (artificial horizon and sliding scales) that are quite unclear and it is hard to get close to the instruments due to the glareshield's positioning. I am hoping for future better resolution obviously.

Yes, stay on the older Nvidia revs - I am on 388.71 and holding until the Oculus Forum says we can update.

Have fun! Fly down low over the river in the Grand Canyon starting at Grand Canyon West airport - and look for the scenic viewpoint structure just as you hit the canyon edge going north. Fly under (through??) some bridges at San Francisco and New York City at night. Orbx LOWI is amazing as well! Keep trying different locations and different aircraft for lots of new experiences in VR!

Dave W.

• To echo the comment about "scooting forward", if you look at the CAT balls on the windscreens of some of the aircraft you will see that the default seating positions are a little too far back. To make them line up correctly you have to move forward. The result is a much clearer instrument panel!

• I move my seat around using my POV hat on the joystick and connect that to the Move forward/aft/left/right that are available as Controls in the Controls->View TAB at the very bottom (you have to scroll down to see them). You can also set your seat up/down with keyboard keys or more buttons.

To echo the comment about "scooting forward", if you look at the CAT balls on the windscreens of some of the aircraft you will see that the default seating positions are a little too far back. To make them line up correctly you have to move forward. The result is a much clearer instrument panel!

Thanks for that tip. Looks reasonnable. I'll try today.

Cheers, Ed

• One thing that may be a bit counter-intuitive, considering that the HMD is sitting right there on your head, is that if you are a glasses wearer, you will more likely than not need to wear your glasses in the Rift as well.

This can be awkward for some, depending on the glasses, so one thing to possibly consider is prescription lenses for the headset. https://vr-lens.eu/

Meanwhile: Congratulations on your new purchase!

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• One thing that may be a bit counter-intuitive, considering that the HMD is sitting right there on your head, is that if you are a glasses wearer, you will more likely than not need to wear your glasses in the Rift as well.

That's a good point. I use glasses for reading, but with the Oculus I can see better without them.

Thanks. Ed

• That's a good point. I use glasses for reading, but with the Oculus I can see better without them.

With VR you look into the distance as you would in real life. So if you are near sighted and need glass to look further away you will also need glasses in VR too. A lot of people seem to think they need glasses in VR because those lenses are so close to your eyes but the whole idea of those specific lenses is that you really seem to be looking in the distance! (If that wouldn't be the case your brain would get upset after a while!)

BTW About never going back to 2D: I went back to 2D after using VR for months. Not everyone can stand the various drawbacks of current VR hardware. But yes, for immersion it can't be beat and the experience is great!

• Someone wrote in this forum that the distance is or corresponds to two meters. So if you can see things sharp two meters away no correction is needed. I need glasses to read and when driving for the distance but what is two meters aeay from me is fine. Hence I do not need lenses in the rift and this is what I experience.

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• I need vision correction for distance. Found wearing glasses with the rift horrible. Scratched the rift lenses a bit also... went back to contacts. Now VR in the rift is a thing of beauty. Also try finding the sweet spot of the rift by moving it up and down slightly, adjusting the strap as needed. It needs to be precisely positioned for the best possible clarity.

Cheers!

• I found what really cleans up the image nicely is to set prerender frames to 4 under nvidia vr settings. Huge difference and I even get a smoother experience on my 1080gtx. The only setting I turn down in game is shadows because they are frame rate killers for me when also using render scaling 2.0 and nvidia vr x4 pre render. I also fly with clouds no greater then 8 clicks to the right and trees and buildings medium. VR has never looked better now on oculus rift, I am amazed at what x4 prerender under nvidia settings has done.