Aerofly FS 2 VR Hands Have Arrived!

• I'm assuming that "Guardian" is similar to WMR's "Boundaries"? I have boundaries turned off in my WMR setup, so that's not the problem. It's that VR actually replicates real world space, dimensions, locations, etc.

I agree, I've tried several times today, but the Guardian System/Boundaries has nothing to do with the problem.

Still not flying with the new hands, I prefer -for the time being- the feeling of my throttle and joystick (HOTAS Thrustmaster).

Cheers, Ed

• Wenn sich die virtuelle Hand richtig bewegt dann sollte dies darauf hindeuten, dass die Sensoren richtig tun.

Versuch doch mal bitte dein bisheriges Steuergerät für die Landeklappen abzuschalten und nur mit den Händen zu arbeiten. Es ist uns bereits bekannt dass es noch zu Problemen kommen kann wenn mehrere Geräte gleichzeitig dasselbe Steuerelement im Cockpit zu bedienen.

Was für ein Steuergerät benutzt du denn für deine Landeklappen, wenn du VR nicht aktiv hast?

Ja, auf die Idee kam ich dann auch - weil bei mir die Flaps auf'm HOTAS auf dem Wippschalter am Schubregler sind und da permanent auf Mittelstellung stehen. Hatte den HOTAS dann abgestöpselt und schon gab es keinen Streit mehr. Dafür musste ich eben jedesmal in der 747 mindestens 15x zum Landinggear-Hebel greifen, bis ich den mal zu packen bekam. Beim Landeanflug oder nach dem abheben fatal. :X Jetzt weiß ich, dass die 747 auch Loopings kann...:D<X

• Ja, das war das was ich hier im Forum angedacht hatte vor ein paar Monaten, dann würden diese Plastikdinger

in der Hand nicht so stören beim Hardware greifen ;)

mfg, Jens ... Flight-Sim.org

Mein Home-Cockpit ... My Simulator Hardware

MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4 --- SI INTEL Core i7-13700F 2.1GHz LGA1700 Tray --- Palit RTX4070 JetStream 12GB DDR6 --- 16GB DDR4 PC4400 --- SSD Patriot 1TB M.2 Viper VP4300 --- Pimax Crystal

Alles fliegt irgendwie,
    fragt sich nur wielange

• Just one tiny idea... on Vive when squeeze grip buttons 3 fingers curl in but leave index finger pointed out, so it is more like a pointing hand. To prevent touching a button or switch by mistake (doesn't happen much but has happened) why not make it so the index finger doesn't interact until it's pointing?

I actually assumed that's how it's is meant to be, otherwise I don't understand why when I grab the yoke the index finger stays pointing out.

• Just one tiny idea... on Vive when squeeze grip buttons 3 fingers curl in but leave index finger pointed out, so it is more like a pointing hand. To prevent touching a button or switch by mistake (doesn't happen much but has happened) why not make it so the index finger doesn't interact until it's pointing?

I actually assumed that's how it's is meant to be, otherwise I don't understand why when I grab the yoke the index finger stays pointing out.

There had to be some compromises with this since the Touch controllers use a different way for the point gesture. Touch also has an active thumb rest position and sensitive triggers that notice your position prior to squeezing the triggers (more natural). For this to work for both Vive and Touch we had to meet in the middle here.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Seems to be working fine for me.

Took some getting used to.... and reading the instructions. Still playing around with it.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I do think a physical yoke in combo with VR hand for everything else would be the ideal mix. Achievable by having yoke stick out from desk, on a bit of clamped wood, which can just be slid back or put away when no in use.

I find with VR hand on virtual yoke it's hard to have any finesse. As I have stated on anoher post, I wish they would change it for a true 2 handed option in the same way 2 handed rifles are implement on good VR games. Or even how the VR mod for Richard Burns Rally lets you control the steering wheel with VR controllers. I believe they must use the measured angle between them or something.

• I do think a physical yoke in combo with VR hand for everything else would be the ideal mix. Achievable by having yoke stick out from desk, on a bit of clamped wood, which can just be slid back or put away when no in use.

I find with VR hand on virtual yoke it's hard to have any finesse. As I have stated on anoher post, I wish they would change it for a true 2 handed option in the same way 2 handed rifles are implement on good VR games. Or even how the VR mod for Richard Burns Rally lets you control the steering wheel with VR controllers. I believe they must use the measured angle between them or something.

For me, finesse came with realizing that I only needed to apply super super light pressure on the thumb pads to steer. (I don't like trying to grip the yoke, it gets tiring too quickly)

Actually moving the thumb pads practically any perceptible physical distance tended to throw the aircraft all over the sky, in my experience. Interestingly, the vr hands seemed to work better for me on the larger aircraft, which did not respond quite as hastily.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Well I had made a setup for VR flying where a Saitek Multi Control panel was bolted to a wood piece, which was bolted to the top of the yoke, and the throttle component also on wood lower down, all to the side.

Thanks to both AF and XP having hands, Multi Panel is now on eBay and throttle section back in the box :)

Intend to use yoke, pedals and VR hands only from now on.

***EDIT***

Cancel that plan. Even with nothing else around, the yoke itself gets in the way af flicking light switches and adjust a knob or two :(

Only solution would be to extend the reach of the yoke...

Oh but I did just manage 2 beautiful landings using the virtual yoke.

Edited 3 times, last by Adam-80UK (February 26, 2018 at 4:35 AM).

• I just wheel my chair back a bit from my desk, sorted :)

I can't help but laugh at this... Maybe I'm not understanding their desk-hitting issue entirely, but isn't this the obvious solution? :/ VR isn't really intended to be used seated at a desk in front of a keyboard like conventional 2D gaming. The virtual world needs space to exist, so you have to make room for it. Adding a non-linear movement ratio to the VR hands relative to the position of your real hands would not only be pretty hard for your brain to sort out, but defeats the purpose of VR, where spatial position is supposed to be preserved to real-world scale. If your hands are hitting your desk, scoot your chair back until you've got plenty of room, and then press the view re-center button, presto, fixed! :)

• This does not work so easily when you have a combination of RW and VR, i.e. real yoke (mounted at your desk) and virtual hands.

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• This does not work so easily when you have a combination of RW and VR, i.e. real yoke (mounted at your desk) and virtual hands.

Fair enough. Until some finger-tracking VR gloves or something similar are available, I think we'll have to choose either VR hands or actual hardware controls (or maybe a hybrid with one hand being VR and the other holding a flight yoke/stick).

• or stick a sensor under our desks...

Devons rig

• No disrespect but the video posted (and removed) on here was already in two other locations already.

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Are there any plans to possibly incorporate autopilot off and TO/GA commands for VR hands? Possibly an assigning of the buttons on the controllers? This could come in very handy for IFR flights. It seems from my testing that you can't click on the buttons on the sides of the throttle levers and yoke.

- Ashley

P3D v4 / AFS2 / XP11 | Intel i7-4790K oc'ed @ 4.6GHz | 16GB RAM | 8GB Nvidia GTX1070 | Windows 10 64-bit | Oculus Rift

• Are there any plans to possibly incorporate autopilot off and TO/GA commands for VR hands? Possibly an assigning of the buttons on the controllers? This could come in very handy for IFR flights. It seems from my testing that you can't click on the buttons on the sides of the throttle levers and yoke.

The best answer here would be we don't know yet. The Vive controllers don't have the buttons that the Touch has so we decided not to assign anything to them at this time. This might change but for now we are leaving them unassigned.

Regards,

Jeff