Aerofly FS 2 VR Hands Have Arrived!

• > Yes, the mods aren't working correctly right now (Cessna cold and dark and DR400) but they will be addressed shortly.

Jeff, I know the team is very busy, but is there any chance that we will see a cold and Dark mod for any of the other birds other than the Cessna, such as the Lear and/or the Q400?

The cold and dark mod was intended to show that you could indeed to a lot more than the current aircraft show. I'm not planning to do more mods like this since I could just as well program a dark Learjet for the default sim. Its literally the same job to do. But to answer the question in a more general way: there will probably be more dark aircraft in the future.

• Der absolute Hammer! :D Direkt ein ganz anderes Fluggefühl und sehr autentisch, wie ich meine. Ich kann nur nie die Flaps greifen, da hängt es dauernd. Egal, wie weit entfernt ich davon sitze ( Rift Touch-Controller ).

In welchem Flieger hast du denn Probleme mit den Flaps? Nur in der Cessna? Weil alle Flieger sind da etwas anders aufgebaut, der Hebel von der Cessna ist schon recht klein im Vergleich zur Boeing 747 zum Beispiel. Tut es denn durchweg in keinem Flugzeug oder ist es nur schwer in manchen Flugzeugen?

• "In welchem Flieger hast du denn Probleme mit den Flaps?"

Da muss ich gleich nochmnal gucken - ich meine, ich hab sie in keinem gegriffen bekommen. Selbst wenn ich auf Copilot saß und die direkt zum greifen nah waren. Vllt. stehen meine Sensoren nicht so günstig - muss ich direkt noch mal alle Flugzeuge durchtesten.

Nachtrag: Ja, in der 747, wo sie extra groß waren und ich richtig greifen konnte, zuckten sie nur kurz und ließen sich nicht bewegen. Schau aber mal nach meinen sensoren.

• "In welchem Flieger hast du denn Probleme mit den Flaps?"

Da muss ich gleich nochmnal gucken - ich meine, ich hab sie in keinem gegriffen bekommen. Selbst wenn ich auf Copilot saß und die direkt zum greifen nah waren. Vllt. stehen meine Sensoren nicht so günstig - muss ich direkt noch mal alle Flugzeuge durchtesten.

Nachtrag: Ja, in der 747, wo sie extra groß waren und ich richtig greifen konnte, zuckten sie nur kurz und ließen sich nicht bewegen. Schau aber mal nach meinen sensoren.

Wenn sich die virtuelle Hand richtig bewegt dann sollte dies darauf hindeuten, dass die Sensoren richtig tun.

Versuch doch mal bitte dein bisheriges Steuergerät für die Landeklappen abzuschalten und nur mit den Händen zu arbeiten. Es ist uns bereits bekannt dass es noch zu Problemen kommen kann wenn mehrere Geräte gleichzeitig dasselbe Steuerelement im Cockpit zu bedienen.

Was für ein Steuergerät benutzt du denn für deine Landeklappen, wenn du VR nicht aktiv hast?

• Just wanted to say thank you for this. I have a Samsung Odyssey on order (btw, great sales going on now for $399 in USA). Please consider adding full support for WMR devices. As someone else said, they are selling quite well now and will soon have a sizeable share of the VR market.

• So you did it again! In all secrecy you developed what will be the next step in controlling VR flight simulations. The "missing link" when we (the VR users) lost the keyboard as input device (and tried voice input and other "solutions").

Of course, as long-time flight simmer I'll never exchange stick, throttle and rudder hardware for virtual devices (I'd oversteer without proper feedback load). But that was/is not your intention anyway. Because in wise planning you allow the combination of all kind of hardware and virtual devices (btw, I always considered your control settings as among the best I've ever encountered:thumbup:).

So I can use the VR hands for the buttons, knobs and switches ─ just like in real life.

YES, the combination of steering hardware and VR controllers is, of course, far from optimal.
    But a number of VR and haptic gloves are developed (Haptx, sensoryx etc.) that are not more obstructive than any pilot's leather glove and that will soon allow us to interact simultaneously with physical and virtual devices. I was afraid these gloves would appear and flightsims would not be ready. That's why I so much esteem that you pioneer in that technology.
    And pioneer you do! There's only one controller-clickable cockpit I know of so far: the GO for launch: Mercury capsule (a Unity project, if I'm not mistaken).

Though I spend most of my time with combat flight sims and only irregularly take the Corsair, the P-38 or the most fabulous Buecker for a ride (and always miss the animated waters ;)!), I never regretted one single cent I spent for AFS2 and the DLC's. I always "feel" your dedication to improve AFS2 and make it the best VR flightsim ever ─ and it seems you're right on course...

• You can stop and start engines with the Q400 and switching off all the electrics you can simulate C & D.

Not quite. You can turn off the engines but not the electrics. So a complete cold and dark isn't possible. Even with all batteries and generators off you still have power (all screens remain on etc.). In fact, you can even start the engine without all that (and without APU)! So things are far from really cold and dark.

Edited 2 times, last by J van E (February 24, 2018 at 3:06 PM).

• Unable to reach throttle due to desk in the way. Unable to find a way around this. Tried sitting way back from desk, recentering, starting while sitting way back (just puts me in back seat), etc.

Hi Roy, did you solve that issue?. I'm having the same here, and still trying to work around the Oculus Guardian System setup to see if it can be solved that way.

Cheers, Ed

• Hi Roy, did you solve that issue?. I'm having the same here, and still trying to work around the Oculus Guardian System setup to see if it can be solved that way.

Cheers, Ed

You should be able to disable that guardian system in the Oculus settings. I never used it: it only gets in the way! During initial setup you can skip that system too!

Maybe you need to redo that entire setup so the Oculus software knows you aren't sitting right behind your desk anymore but somewhere else. I think you do need a complete empty space around you for these VR hands so sitting behind the desk is a no go from now on in VR.

• Good morning,

can we expect this VR Update for DVD-owners too, and if yes when?

Regards

Yes, possibly by mid-week. Of course we didn't forget our DVD owners :)

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• The vive controllers don't have a vibration motor as far as I know.

Yes they do. At least I can feel vibration in the controllers in other games.

Btw, is there a way to permanently hold the yoke without holding the controller button. In the vive those buttons are placed on the side, and after a while, you get tired of holding them.

• Yes they do. At least I can feel vibration in the controllers in other games.

Btw, is there a way to permanently hold the yoke without holding the controller button. In the vive those buttons are placed on the side, and after a while, you get tired of holding them.

We will look into the haptic feedback for Vive users but please give us some time.

Yes, use the analog pads to fly. Simply let go of the yoke and use the pads.

Please take a look at the instructions for this and it will clearly explain everything.

Virtual Hands Instructions

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Two steps forward, one step back - I like the VR hands cockpit interaction but now I'm bumping into my keyboard, desk, and HOTAS stuff.

Maybe in a year or two we'll get to use the mixed reality cameras in the Samsung Odyssey (and VivePro) to recognize my HOTAS and display an outline of them. When the next version of VR controllers become gloves, we'll want to see the HOTAS outlines.

One key advantage of HOTAS over VR controller inputs is trimming - if I feel tension in the joystick, it reminds me to adjust the trim and that is SO realistic! That was one of the surprises of learning to fly in real life - lots and lots of trimming!

Another advantage of HOTAS is the physical connection to the aircraft - they are 2 fixed reference points.

Because of the obstacle problems with VR hands, I'd still like the option to select instruments with a VR centerpoint gaze (2 sec auto-highlight) then use a HOTAS up/down rocker switch to adjust that instrument.

My guess is 95% of AF2 users have been using a joystick versus keyboard+mouse flying and almost all plan to continue flying with the joystick so the desk obstacle issue isn't going away. Once VR gloves are here, that will help because we'll no longer have to "find" them but for those instruments that conflict with an obstacle, we'll need an alternative way (gaze select) to interact with them.

Great progress but it does feel a bit like two steps forward, one step back ... still really fun to experience this evolution in flight sims!!!

• I like the VR hands cockpit interaction but now I'm bumping into my keyboard, desk, and HOTAS stuff.

I agree with Kenventions above comments. Imo using the touch controllers in the cockpit (with a HOTAS system), awkward at best. With VR gloves it would be awesome. See a vid of Oculus gloves in action here:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hi Roy, did you solve that issue?. I'm having the same here, and still trying to work around the Oculus Guardian System setup to see if it can be solved that way. Cheers, Ed

Since I won't be controlling the aircraft with VR but with HOTAS, I didn't pursue the desk-obstacle problem. I'm assuming that "Guardian" is similar to WMR's "Boundaries"? I have boundaries turned off in my WMR setup, so that's not the problem. It's that VR actually replicates real world space, dimensions, locations, etc. The C172 throttle is about where your desk/work surface would be, so I don't see a clever way around this for now other than to have a VR setting for what we in the RC world call "exponential", except that in VR is would be backwards exponential (the curve gets more not less).

In spite of the fact that IPACS said: "We originally planned on releasing ‘VR Hands’ only for Oculus users but decided to go all in and offer this spectacular new feature to everyone! The wait is over!", they said that they actually didn't test with WMR headsets (only tested with 2/3rds the VR HMD options available). So I'm just happy that it mostly does work with WMR HMDs! [because SteamVR uses Vive emulation?] So going forward it will be fun to experiment with hybrid HOTAS+Hands controlling to see what provides the most effective/practical VR flying experience. I can't wait to see if I can bop my copilot on the back of the head for making a mistake (ha ha). :)