VR Hands Update Bugs- POST HERE

• Everyone,

with any major feature release, regardless of how much internal testing is done, there are always some issues mainly due to the large variation of configurations out there. Please use this thread to post any issues or potential bugs that you see so that we can track everything more proactive rather than searching all over threads everywhere.

Based on what we have been seeing please be mindful of the below suggestions that some users may be missing that would cause you problems before you post.

* If your hands aren't seen after leaving the menu - make sure that you have 'show hands' turned ON in the settings menu

* If Aerofly is crashing on you after receiving the new update - BEFORE posting that Aerofly is crashing please 1) make sure that you are running the LATEST video card drivers 2) delete your main.mcf file (located in your documents\Aerofly FS 2 folder), If after you perform both suggested steps please post in this thread if you are experiencing a crash; explain where this happens, and post your tm log in your post.

* This update officially supports Oculus Touch and Vive, if you have any other VR Device please understand that there may be problems with this feature. We will look at (but can't guarantee) support in the future for your devices.

* We are aware of the haptic feedback issue so there is no need to post anything further on this topic

* We are also aware of some users experiencing problems with using a controller along with one (or two) motion controllers. Please post your problem in this thread in as much detail as you can. Incluse the device you are using and how you have it configured.

* any NEW problems seen (other than simply not understanding how to use the new feature) please post them in this thread and we will investigate it.

Thank you for your continued support.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• I own a Rift My problem is my torches do not work. In flight school I can move and see the rudder and flaps but no throttle. In or out of school (I was able to get in to the 172 ones and did see my hands because I wanted to take a look around the inside of the 172. ) I went into flight school and that is when the problems started. I can still move into different areas and look around a little. I Only the back button will work. If I go into setting under the controller setting at the bottom it tells me to plug in my joystick. I do not own one If you look at my tm.log (remaned for upload purposes) it states no devices found I have not change any of the default settings. tm.txt. Everything else looks and sounds great.

• VR hands work well except there is an issue of controller timeout. This is with Rift controllers.

If the controller is motionless for 30 seconds or so (ie while resting on my thigh while cruising to the next thermal) the VR hand will disappear and reappear embedded in your forehead. Shaking the controller will re-establish VR hand at the correct position. I assume there is a idle timeout somewhere in the sensor/controller chain. Hopefully you can just re-render at last known position on timeout event.

Also it would be nice to enable/disable left and right controllers independently. I fly with left controller only. Sometimes the right VR hand will suddenly appear in front of your face if the right controller is anywhere within sensor range.

cheers

Stu

i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz | ASUS Z170-A | 16Gb DDR4 | Samsung SSD 950 PRO NVME M.2 256GB | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on GP102-A GPU | Oculus CV1 | Windows 10

• @ed and all,

Not sure (I am staying at 388.71) but the Nvidia driver recommendation might have mostly to do with using the Dash environment VR configuration as opposed to the Classic environment which I am staying with for now.

Which environment is IPACS using? (what driver set are you using?)

Dave W.

• @ed and all,

Not sure (I am staying at 388.71) but the Nvidia driver recommendation might have mostly to do with using the Dash environment VR configuration as opposed to the Classic environment which I am staying with for now.

Which environment is IPACS using? (what driver set are you using?)

Dave W.

Dave, I tested this with the latest NVidia drivers using Dash for most of the major testing of this feature, and I also tested with the old Oculus Home and found no problems at all. During our testing we normally roll back GPU drivers and test various scenarios expecting users to use different drivers and all tests were positive.

Most testing was with 390.77

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• VR hands work well except there is an issue of controller timeout. This is with Rift controllers.

If the controller is motionless for 30 seconds or so (ie while resting on my thigh while cruising to the next thermal) the VR hand will disappear and reappear embedded in your forehead. Shaking the controller will re-establish VR hand at the correct position. I assume there is a idle timeout somewhere in the sensor/controller chain. Hopefully you can just re-render at last known position on timeout event.

Also it would be nice to enable/disable left and right controllers independently. I fly with left controller only. Sometimes the right VR hand will suddenly appear in front of your face if the right controller is anywhere within sensor range.

cheers

Stu

This is something that I'm not seeing. I even placed the Touch controllers on the floor for 10 minutes and they did not lose connection or appearance.

As for enable/disable L/R controllers, I'm not too sure what you mean by this but we may add a 'swap controls' feature so that the rudder control is on the right and the yoke control is on the left.

Regards,

Jeff

• I own a Rift My problem is my torches do not work. In flight school I can move and see the rudder and flaps but no throttle. In or out of school (I was able to get in to the 172 ones and did see my hands because I wanted to take a look around the inside of the 172. ) I went into flight school and that is when the problems started. I can still move into different areas and look around a little. I Only the back button will work. If I go into setting under the controller setting at the bottom it tells me to plug in my joystick. I do not own one If you look at my tm.log (remaned for upload purposes) it states no devices found I have not change any of the default settings. tm.txt. Everything else looks and sounds great.

What are torches?

We tested flight school fully and found no problems with how the motion controllers work within flight school. I'm also not too sure what you mean by the 'back button' as there is no back button on the motion controllers.

I'm not writing any of this off but please explain your problem a little bit better.

Regards,

Jeff

• As for enable/disable L/R controllers, I'm not too sure what you mean by this but we may add a 'swap controls' feature so that the rudder control is on the right and the yoke control is on the left.

Currently there is "Show hand controllers during simulation" in the VR config panel. But this means that both controllers are rendered as VR hands. Even if the right hand controller is not used (I fly with joystick) and just sitting on the desk sometimes it ends up being rendered right in my face even though I am not using it. I want to be able to disable the right (or left) VR hand rendering from the control panel so it does not show up when I do not want it.

As far as the controller timeout and re-render, it is very reproducible. After about 30 seconds of inaction by the left controller while flying or the right controller just sitting on the desk (still visible to the sensors) they will be rendered half way in my face. I had power management enabled on the Rift sensors , so I disabled that, but that was not the problem. I am not aware of any timeout configuration within the Oculus. I can't think of anything else in my environment that might be causing this. Is Aerofly handling the timeout or is it within the Oculus manager?

cheers

Stu

i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz | ASUS Z170-A | 16Gb DDR4 | Samsung SSD 950 PRO NVME M.2 256GB | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on GP102-A GPU | Oculus CV1 | Windows 10

• Currently there is "Show hand controllers during simulation" in the VR config panel. But this means that both controllers are rendered as VR hands. Even if the right hand controller is not used (I fly with joystick) and just sitting on the desk sometimes it ends up being rendered right in my face even though I am not using it. I want to be able to disable the right (or left) VR hand rendering from the control panel so it does not show up when I do not want it.

As far as the controller timeout and re-render, it is very reproducible. After about 30 seconds of inaction by the left controller while flying or the right controller just sitting on the desk (still visible to the sensors) they will be rendered half way in my face. I had power management enabled on the Rift sensors , so I disabled that, but that was not the problem. I am not aware of any timeout configuration within the Oculus. I can't think of anything else in my environment that might be causing this. Is Aerofly handling the timeout or is it within the Oculus manager?

cheers

Stu

Oh OK. This is an Oculus feature. The Touch controllers go into standby if unused for a time period. And for some reason, they reappear right in your face once in standby. There isn't much that we could do about that for now but it's something that i'm sure Oculus will fix soon.

This problem is observed even when first starting Dash and before you activate each controller.

I do share your frustration with this.

We will have to see if there's a workaround to this but like I said, it's an Oculus thing for now.

Regards,

Jeff

• We will have to see if there's a workaround to this but like I said, it's an Oculus thing for now.

thanks Jeff

Kind of suspected that.

Anyway a workaround for the unused controller is to hang it off the arm of my chair. Swings around enough to avoid timeout and I don't really notice it rendered under my elbow.

cheers

Stu

• thanks Jeff

Kind of suspected that.

Anyway a workaround for the unused controller is to hang it off the arm of my chair. Swings around enough to avoid timeout and I don't really notice it rendered under my elbow.

cheers

Stu

Hang in there, a solution might be coming.

Regards,

Jeff

• This is something that I'm not seeing. I even placed the Touch controllers on the floor for 10 minutes and they did not lose connection or appearance.

As for enable/disable L/R controllers, I'm not too sure what you mean by this but we may add a 'swap controls' feature so that the rudder control is on the right and the yoke control is on the left.

I would really like the option of switching L/R controllers. This would enable me to continue flying with the yoke on the left and give me a potentially free right hand to practice operating gear, flaps, trim and ALT knob on the Lear AP. For now I can only operate these with the mouse and I am right handed with the mouse on the right.

I tried to change the ALT using the VR hands while also using the same hand the yoke. It was not pretty. :S

It would be more practical for the right handed sim pilots to have the yoke on the left or at least having that as a choice. :)

Regards,

Ray

• I would really like the option of switching L/R controllers. This would enable me to continue flying with the yoke on the left and give me a potentially free right hand to practice operating gear, flaps, trim and ALT knob on the Lear AP. For now I can only operate these with the mouse and I am right handed with the mouse on the right.

I tried to change the ALT using the VR hands while also using the same hand the yoke. It was not pretty. :S

It would be more practical for the right handed sim pilots to have the yoke on the left or at least having that as a choice. :)

Regards,

Ray

This is already something on the table (swapping left controls with right controls) . We will see what we can do here.

Good suggestion.

Regards,

Jeff

• Dave, I tested this with the latest NVidia drivers using Dash for most of the major testing of this feature, and I also tested with the old Oculus Home and found no problems at all. During our testing we normally roll back GPU drivers and test various scenarios expecting users to use different drivers and all tests were positive.

Most testing was with 390.77

I consistently get a black screen with my Oculus with the latest Nvidia drivers and no Dash, so there is no way I can use them. It is not an issue in my case, because the hands are working fine for me except for the feedback. I just want to point out the driver issue because the problem with Oculus is a known issue and has been widely reported and anyone who uses the latest driver is likely to see a problem.

• So, this driver problem is with users NOT using Dash?

We are testing with the latest NVidia drivers and Dash with no problems.

Regards,

Jeff

• What are torches?

We tested flight school fully and found no problems with how the motion controllers work within flight school. I'm also not too sure what you mean by the 'back button' as there is no back button on the motion controllers.

I'm not writing any of this off but please explain your problem a little bit better.

The motion controllers. (Torches) Sorry for the mix up. The only button that works is the "B". In lesson 4 she asked me to power up. I can not. Nor could I power down. I exited the the flight school to try a few things. Not sure how I had a 172 I went to airplane taped on the 172 went to location and found my self in the air. I think that is what I did. Just like in flight school I was behind the plane. Tried to change my view (I thought you could when flying maybe not.) I can turn increase or decrease my altitude. but I could not increase or decrease power.

• What VR system are you using?

You can control the throttle by pressing up/down on the left analog stick/pad.

For instructions on how to use the motion controllers please have a look at our wiki HERE

Regards,

Jeff