My impression of the VR hands thing.

• So I gave it a try. A solid try.

It is damn near impossible to fly the aircraft clean. I tried a short cross-country flight in the 172 in Switzerland.

What killed it for me is the flaps. When it finally registered that my hand was on it, all I could do with the complete lack of precission was either full flaps or full retracted.

And the flying...I figured I at least needed the rudders. But the hat-switch on my oculus-controller overrides my rudders making them only reach about 5% right/left.

Look, I love this sim, but this feature...I don't know. It makes me feel more disconnected from the aircraft than with my stick/yoke, throttle and rudders. Ok, I get it, it makes the sim more accesible for the none-simmers out there with a VR headset. But for me, as long-time simmer? No. Never. Sorry. It takes away the immersion for me, rather than adding to it.

Just my 2 cents.

• Fair enough and very understandable. I actually am really enjoying it. The whole experience of being able to use the virtual hand gestures to fly it all is awesome. Sure it's a little difficult at first, but after a few flights I got the hang of it. Personally I actually feel a whole lot more connected to it. I've been simming for 10 years and this is an exciting new experience in flight simulation. But of course, it's just one of many. I will still be flight simming with P3D and my joystick and yoke for years to come alongside VR-ing in AFS2.

I don't think ATC should have come. I trust IPACS' prioritising as they carefully develop this sim.

- Ashley

P3D v4 / AFS2 / XP11 | Intel i7-4790K oc'ed @ 4.6GHz | 16GB RAM | 8GB Nvidia GTX1070 | Windows 10 64-bit | Oculus Rift

• yes i think it is a very good addition however with the "gloves" that are coming out and that are not yet out i think it could have waited till after ATC.

for me too its a step towards the tech we need for vr gloves.

• VR-controller support certainly is a big step forward for AeroflyFS, and I am honestly glad for all of those benefiting from it. Unfortunately, I am not among them. After investing a few grands into a Saitek/Logitech-based hardware panel over the years

[Blocked Image: http://michael-basler.net/Beyondwork/flight_simulation_big.jpg]

I would like to benefit from it. I can do so in FSX, Prepar3d, X-Plane, and even FSW. Not in AeroflyFS.

I fully understood hardware support took time to develop as long as AeroflyFS2 was on Early Access. However, Early Access is over now, and Saitek hardware is not some obscure gadgets but among the most-used hardware in the flightsim world. Despite asking this before, I never got a satisfactory answer from the developers. I even had contact with Logitech on this matter to only learn they are not developing any AeroflyFS2 drivers from their their side right now.

I really would like to know if IPACS is working on full support for all of the Saitek/Logitech Flight product line including all Panels and notably the Flight Instrument Panels (FIPs) in the foreseeable future. I certainly don't ask for a date, but something like "We are going to consider support for all hardware one day" wouldn't serve me as well. For me this may turn out to be the critical point between staying or jumping off the AeroflyFS2 plane.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• I’m firmly in your camp. An old friend spent the week with me and he arrived just as Helgoland for AFS2 was released. And left the day the VR Hands was released.

I asked him what he thought about my flight sim world and he was most impressed with the VR views from outside the plane and the ease or ability to generate HD scenery almost anyplace on Earth with FSET.

He commented several times that he couldn’t comprehend the developers shunning or avoiding all that Saitek gear, especially the FIPs.

I must agree with him, I don’t understand why IPACS has avoided working with those that already understand how to make them work with all the other sims.

It seems that a short-term contract with the knowledgeable person could solve the missing links problem in short order.

Mind boggling. 🤔

Regards,

Ray

• Glad to be not alone.;)

It seems that a short-term contract with the knowledgeable person could solve the missing links problem in short order.

Mind boggling. 🤔

This was my highest hope for some time indeed. However, development of SPAD.neXt enabling support for FSX, P3D, XP, and FSW stopped a year ago because of health issues of the developer. It's still working and supported, but no new features since that time.

Given that - indeed unfortunate - situation IPACS will have to look into alternatives. There certainly are some, and I collected a few ones coming to my mind some time ago

https://www.aerofly.com/community/foru…aitek#post51993

but there are certainly more.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• We all have our favorite features we're wanting, but VR hands was pretty low on my own list. For me the highest priority is multiplayer. If that was there, I can forget AI or ATC or weather. Back to P3D and DCS for me.

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, 2 dof Motion, Valve Index

• I reread your linked post from last November. Sad. It really is mind boggling how all this Saitek/Logitech gear is still being avoided.

Mind boggling is what keeps coming into my head.

Regards,

Ray

• There may be some bad blood between the developers. You know, someone may have stepped on someone else’s toes somewhere along the way, or something we are not privy too.

Sim Innovations is also a potential source of remote flight instruments. They have a great program that sends flight gauges to iPads and monitors. Theirs works with all 3 major sims.

I asked them early last year to look at AFS2 and at the time Aerofly FS2 was still in Early Access so they declined for that reason. I may try again.

It is apparent that any fix will have to come to IPACS and not from. 😕

Regards,

Ray

• We all have our favorite features we're wanting, but VR hands was pretty low on my own list. For me the highest priority is multiplayer. If that was there, I can forget AI or ATC or weather. Back to P3D and DCS for me.

I understand there are users who really enjoy the hand feature, and I am glad for them. The forthcoming Flyinside simulator with a target on VR will sport it, too.

However, given the potential of AeroflysFS, it would be a pity if IPACS neglected support for widespread conventional flight hardware loosing quite a number of potential or actual users that way.

Kind regards, Michael

LOL It is very clear once more we all have our very personal preferences... and that you can't please everybody. Lots of people shouted they wanted VR touch support: now it's there and you either don't hear them about it or they complain about because it wasn't what they expected (which makes me wonder what they expected :| ). Others want hardware support, or multiplayer (talking about something low on MY list... in fact, it's never been on my list LOL!), or weather (yes, that's my number one!), or ATC... The list probably is endless. It must be an impossible and frustrating task to create a sim for a crowd like this. ;) So even though I don't use VR (anymore) and have no use for the VR hands I do applaud IPACS for putting so much effort in it! I hope that when the dust has settled down people will appreciate what IPACS has accomplished. And now back to work on ATC because I want you to finish it so you can start working on weather! 8)8o;)

• At least I didn't say I don't acknowledge that new feature, just to the contrary. I only say it's high time to complete support for the major flight hardware now, including Saitek/Logitech.

And full support would mean I can turn the magneto and start the C172 without an addin. And turn it off after flight. Plus ths FIPs coming to life.

Kind regards, Michael

• Though we are respectful to everyone's opinion, threads like this only tend to cause more harm than good so please be mindful that even though some may not want to use the motion controllers to fly there are many that do. So try to present more constructive criticism than just bashing the update because it's not fitting for you.

This isn't meant for only one person.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Jeff, I am certainly not one complaining only, and I tried just that, i.e., to be constructive. Look upon my November contribution

https://www.aerofly.com/community/foru…aitek#post51993

where I made several suggestions for possible ways to proceed with the Saitek instruments. This was not even acknowledged by anyone from the developers, though.

Kind regards, Michael

• We are all the developers, myself and Jan included. I did acknowledge the thread. We are all very busy and some items just take some time for us to get to. I hope that you can understand and appreciate that.

Also, my comment was just to make sure this thread didn't take a bad turn, such as I've seen far too many times already on here.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff