"Hands On" video? (and WMR Info)

• I currently suggest Odyssey to flight simmers looking for VR. The sensor less inside out tracking is a major plus. It brings so much freedom. Some people complain about the controller tracking problem, which comes from a narrower tracking FOV than O/V. Some claim the controller has to be within your FOV for the tracking to work properly, but even so it wouldn't have any impact on flight simulation as the virtual hand would always be within your FOV.

Hm... that sounds interesting. I have a Rift but I also have a very small space to play in. I like the bigger FOV and better resolution and also that you don't need sensors: I didn't know that (because I lost interest in VR and never had a look at the Odussey). I may have to check out some reviews.

• My system seems to work pretty well but of course there are some occasional problems. Like looking down to change a VOR frequency the hand may not be able to reach all the way down for some reason. Perhaps it is the where each controller is in the FOV.

There are some critical times, like raising the gear where trying to fly with hands and reaching across cockpit to raise the gear can get exciting.

Since I am fairly new to this, I had to understand some things. Such as the pads on the Odyssey control flight controls and brakes. If you let your fingers hit those, the airplane can do strange things.

Just finding out that pushing down on the left thumbstick puts you in the SteamVR portal and holding down the left pad for 3 seconds puts you into the Aerofly menu, helps greatly. I am hoping one day the flight info will be incorporated so it can be access from within the simulation.

My problem right now is clarity of instruments in VR mode. I am working on that but I have limited my use due to eye strain.. The Saitek X52 works great and the instruments are very clean in normal mode...

HTC Vive Cosmos Elite

Win 11

• I am hoping one day the flight info will be incorporated so it can be access from within the simulation.

I've given up on trying to fly with VR hands. I just leave my Odyssey controllers off and use HOTAS+Mouse.

The ability to see the flight information banner in VR is one of the many things I've asked IPACS to add to their list of "change requests". I'm not sure how IPACS prioritizes this list, but perhaps somebody could use the survey feature of this forum to create a list of future improvements we could all vote on to help IPACS juggle their workload, with the understanding the none of us are complaining but just trying to help AFS2 become "best in class". :o)

• I've given up on trying to fly with VR hands. I just leave my Odyssey controllers off and use HOTAS+Mouse.

The ability to see the flight information banner in VR is one of the many things I've asked IPACS to add to their list of "change requests". I'm not sure how IPACS prioritizes this list, but perhaps somebody could use the survey feature of this forum to create a list of future improvements we could all vote on to help IPACS juggle their workload, with the understanding the none of us are complaining but just trying to help AFS2 become "best in class". :o)

We are aware of this but it's going to be some time before getting it into Aerofly for VR. There are just too many other priorities that are much more critical that needs to be completed first.

Also, please no surveys, we are well aware of the majority of what everyone wants to see as it's been discussed many, many times before.

Please be patient while we continue our development as very good things will be coming :)

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• My system seems to work pretty well but of course there are some occasional problems. Like looking down to change a VOR frequency the hand may not be able to reach all the way down for some reason. Perhaps it is the where each controller is in the FOV.

There are some critical times, like raising the gear where trying to fly with hands and reaching across cockpit to raise the gear can get exciting.

Since I am fairly new to this, I had to understand some things. Such as the pads on the Odyssey control flight controls and brakes. If you let your fingers hit those, the airplane can do strange things.

Just finding out that pushing down on the left thumbstick puts you in the SteamVR portal and holding down the left pad for 3 seconds puts you into the Aerofly menu, helps greatly. I am hoping one day the flight info will be incorporated so it can be access from within the simulation.

My problem right now is clarity of instruments in VR mode. I am working on that but I have limited my use due to eye strain.. The Saitek X52 works great and the instruments are very clean in normal mode...

The clarity issue may just be VR versus your traditional 1080P monitor - today's VR won't be as sharp as a 1080P monitor.

You can help the VR clarity some by using super-sampling. The latest SteamVR beta will auto-set the SS value based on your graphics card (it set mine to SS=1.72 for my GTX1080+Odyssey combo). You can check it under the SteamVR Settings > VIDEO section, just temporarily check the MANUAL box.

If you are using the SteamVR Beta, make sure the FS2 VR setting for Render Scale Factor = 1.00 otherwise your graphics card will try to do both (SS * RSF) and the resulting frame rates will be too low. If you are not using the SteamVR Beta, then make sure the SteamVR setting has SS=1.0 then adjust the FS2 RSF to something greater than 1.00 to see if the instruments look better. The Cessna 172 may be a good plane to experiment with because the instruments are close.

• You can help the VR clarity some by using super-sampling. The latest SteamVR beta will auto-set the SS value based on your graphics card (it set mine to SS=1.72 for my GTX1080+Odyssey combo). You can check it under the SteamVR Settings > VIDEO section, just temporarily check the MANUAL box.

Ok, I have been playing with the settings in both the game and SteamVR. It does seem to be better and I can see a sweet band going horizontally which seems to be more clear which I can look through. I don't think I am running the Beta but I may be getting confused because in the SteamVR portal, there is a large screen with Beta on it but it appears to be a different room and not a VR version. I will check the site to see if I can run it.

I just finished another approach using just hands and keeping the controllers connected can be a problem when they disconnect at a critical time... Possibly this is related to my Bluetooth.

The resolution of the Odyssey, if you count both eyes is 3200x1440, does that sound about right? I suppose another reason the GTX 980 is having a problem performance wise. I was able to order the Video Card I wanted this morning. It will be here next week along with the new system so I will be testing the Win 10 Preview, which I have seen was having some problems with WMR and any other Beta I can find... ;)

I noticed yesterday there are some new options for views, altitude, and C/P on the right side of the 737 sim... Are all airplanes seeing that same thing? I haven't tried the F 16 yet but I bet it can be a lot of fun..

Thanks for the reply

HTC Vive Cosmos Elite

Win 11