Helicopter implementation being planned at all?

• Is it hard to learn to fly?

I find it hard. I tried several times (and keep trying now and then) but it's so unstable in comparison to fixed-wing planes. I actually can fly it over a certain distance, but hovering and notably landing is quite hard.

Add the fact that most of us (including me) don't have helicopter-specific hardware like collective and have to rely on poor substitutes.:(

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• .. it's so unstable in comparison to fixed-wing planes. I actually can fly it over a certain distance, but hovering and notably landing is quite hard.

Add the fact that most of us (including me) don't have helicopter-specific hardware like collective and have to rely on poor substitutes.:(

It is unstable and so you have to pay attention to the flying all the time.

I fly them with a twist-grip joystick, with throttle lever as collective, with no problem.

The best flying experience is a midsize helo with autopilot, preferably autohover too.

In the MSFS world, that was the ICARO AW139.

You do the interesting (manual) stuff while around the heliport, then set course and fly to destinations further afield.

It is a genuine alternative to small GA flying, with many bonus features!

• As any real helicopter pilot will tell you - “if you can fly a Robbie, you can fly anything!” The smaller they are, the less inherent stability they posess and a Robbie helicopter in Aerofly FS2 would be a VERY welcome indeed. Waiting with baited breath!

Flying A330 as a day-job and enjoy VR-flying with PIMAX 5k+. NextLevelRacing v.3 Motion platform, Watercooled and overclocked i9-9900k, 32Gb 3600RAM, Samsung 970EVO Pro 2Tb m.2, nVidia RTX-2080Ti FE, Thrustmaster HOTAS, VKB pedals, Cockpitforyou motorised throttle quadrant, Precision Flight Controls Jetliner column

• Official Post

Maybe it is one of the most difficult of vehicles to model in any sim?

Well yes it actually is. Having the rotor system turning gives you one part of the airspeed on the blades (stationary hover is relatively easy) and the second part is flying forward. Then the airflow for a rotor blade is changing in velocity and direction which causes the blades to move up and down, forwards and backwards so the position of the blades and the incoming airflow onto the blades is no longer stationary... You get airflow on one side of the rotor that comes from the trailing edge of the rotorblade... you have angles of attack from 0 to +/-180 degrees and back.

And of course each blade at its deflected position creates a downforce on the air around it, accelerating it. But the next blade is so close that this washed down air complicates the airflow even futher. Then you have tip vorticies going off from the blade tips, those are trailing off, being chopped by the next blade (blade vortex interaction), they cause sudden increase in angle of attack for example and a little bit of extra airspeed...

and then you also have the issue of the forward going blade approaching the speed of sound. Airflow creates shock waves, the lift, drag and moment change....

So yeah all in all the blade goes probably something like from -100m/s to plus 250m/s, Mach -0.2 to plus 0.8, angles of attack change from like 2 degrees to 14 degrees on the tip and like 4 to 180 degrees on the inside and of course the side slip angle (so to say) varies a lot to.

Its impossible to simulate all this in real time, at least on current hardware.

At the universities they simulate 10 full rotor rotations in about a week computing time on one of the most advanced computer clusters out there. So yes that is probably the most difficult vehicle simulation. Aircraft are relatively easy because they don't have this nasty rotating system, they have nice stationary flying wings at relative constant angle of attack, almost no sideslip, near constant velocity, very little interaction from the main wings onto the tail surface. You only have two vortecies trailing off, not actually hitting anything else.

• As any real helicopter pilot will tell you - “if you can fly a Robbie, you can fly anything!” The smaller they are, the less inherent stability they posess and a Robbie helicopter in Aerofly FS2 would be a VERY welcome indeed. Waiting with baited breath!

Indeed, that's what I experienced in P3D. While I could tame a few big choppers, smart little R22s & Co. always tend to tip over.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Its not strictly true to say small helicopters are more unstable. The major factor in stability is the type of rotor head fitted. Of course size does come into it but its not the major factor.

A rigid rotor head without a stabilization system is very unstable. if you take out the AFCS (automatic flight contol system) on a Lynx it handles very badly indeed and you are always chasing inputs.

In order of stability rotor heads are

Rigid

Semi rigid or semi articulated

Fully articulated

Here endeth the lesson according to Steve :)

• R22 in Aerofly FS2. One airfield one can see is Speck near Zurich, but also LOWI Innsbruck can be seen, and the Matterhorn.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

Edited once, last by TomB (April 5, 2018 at 3:40 PM).

• Finally YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS....
    I have been an RC heli pilot all my life, still fly them electric now.

For those that have problem flying them forget the pedal for now and use the joystick twist motion (if you can) for the yaw.

A bit like a RC radio where your hand control everything.

I have 12 hours on a Sikorsky S-300 and the transition from fix wing at that time was hell. You need to forget 80% of your fix wing flying.

If the team don't mind as they are working with ORBX, here an heli only video I just did on their new Gold Coast
    Ben

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

BennyBoy. I5 8600K @ 4,3ghz, 16 ram, GTX 1060 6G @ UW @2560 X 1080. Sim: AF2 & P3D V4

• Are there any affordable (say within the Saitek-range) helicopter controls available? The ones I know start at 600 $ which is a bit steep for a casual chopper flyer. I know there are numerous do-it-yourself solutions on YouTube but that's not what I would be looking for. And of course it should work with AeroflyFS2.

At present, I use a Saitek Quadrant for Collective, the Saitek Cessna Pedals (pretty poor for that purpose) and a TM16000.

I doubt there is, but just in case, thanks a lot, Michael

• Well, for us VR pilots, you will catch a glimpse early in the video of VR hands.........

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5