Strange aircraft behaviour lately.

• When I began using FS 2 I had no problems maintaining level flight but recently, immediately after takeoff I've found many aircraft are continually banking, either to the left or right - I can correct it but as soon as I release the controllers the same constant turn resumes. As you'd expect, the AP resolves it and maintains a level course, even using the default.

I haven't exhaustively explored the behavior of all aircraft but for those that I have, it seems, strangely, to effect lighter/piston craft. Perhaps I've missed something but I've tried resetting controllers, even switching between Oculus touch controllers, Xbox gamepad and my new Thrustmaster FCS hardware, all with the same issue. I haven't changed conditions and verified wind isn't playing a part

From my experience I've come up with the following list:

Cessna 172 - banking left after takeoff.

King Air C90 - banking left after takeoff.

Sopwith Camel - banking right after takeoff.

Baron 58 - banking right after takeoff.

737-500 holds level.

747-400 holds level.

Learjet 45 holds level.

All takeoffs are from Mc Carran, Runway 25L

If anyone can offer any thoughts or insight it would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mark

• Congratulation, you discover the effect of the propeller. This is a turning gyro. Since even the two propellers of the King Air and the Baron turning in the same direction, they will force the plane to the left. Another effect ist the "prop wash". Depending on the speed the prop build up a spiral wind around the aircraft. This wind stream will meet one side of your rudder and push your plane as well to the side. No prop, no push, in jet aircrafts you will not push automatically to the side.

Why is the Sopwith turning to the right? I am not quiet sure, but my tip is, that the prop is turning in the other direction than Lycomings, more like the Russian engines.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• Also the wind speeds and directions have a lot to do with it. For a test try to turn wind off completely and you will notice your aircraft flies straight (less the prop torque effect)

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Thanks for the replies.

I'm familiar with the physics but less clear why, if that is the cause, it's only suddenly started to pose a noticeable issue recently.

Did I overlook something relevant with the latest updates?

No, but maybe your controller was calibrated slightly off center which countered this effect.

Try using rudder trim and aileron trim in those aircraft.

And its not only the rudder which is pushed sideways, one side of the main wing sees the wind coming from above, the other from below -> turns; and also the horizontal stabilizer sees the air going up on one side and down on the other.

Plus there is the torque of the engine which turns the air-frame against the propeller's rotation.