Trouble with Cultivation

• Hello,

I have issues when I try to generate vegetation on a large area.

As you can see in the picture (AFS2 capture) I have areas without any vegetation while the corresponding cultivation file contains the declaration of these trees.
    Initially, I thought that each cultivation file was limited to a certain number of tree, so I tried with different surface (level11, 12,13) for slab cultivation but the result is the same, it remains the same gaps in the same places!
    Any idea ?

capture in AFS2:

[Blocked Image: https://tof.cx/images/2018/03/13/d69d2e5c50858f4420109ccc5c52f6c0.jpg]

Note: that the edge of the empty areas (1,2 and 3) all seem to be aligned on the edge of the grid (in this case: 5480 of AFS2 Grid system)... but may be just an idea

Sources Shapefiles in QGIS:

[Blocked Image: https://tof.cx/images/2018/03/13/729f0db5863310f1fb215473ffa24679.jpg]

view of sources files in QGIS, the colors allow to differentiate the source shapes files, each giving a different .toc file

• Hmm, that's very odd. Are you using sceneProc to create the toc files? If so, my best guess is that you're missing the entry in your .tsc file for those regions (or the syntax is wrong), but if those missing regions aren't each in their own .toc file then that shouldn't be the cause.

FWIW, I have used a single .tsc file to add trees to an area about the size of 6 level nine tiles, but within that single .tsc file it contained references to 32 different .toc files. So I'm not sure if there's an upper limit on trees in a single .toc, but there doesn't appear to be a limit within a single .tsc (or if there is, it's very large).

• thank for your help qwerty42 ;)

1/ Yes I'm using Scenproc and this is my script:

I try with a simple script too... and the empty area are not at the same place but are here too :( :

Code
    # Import fichier contenant les points a tester
    IMPORTOGR|@0@|*|*|NOREPROJ

# Create AF2 broadleaf
    CreateAF2Plant|*|20;30|broadleaf

# Export the AF2 TOC file
    ExportTOC|TOCout|@1@

it's like last lines of the .toc file was skipped... I will try to add a random in tree list to see if the empty area is more smooth.

and this is the cultivation part of my .tsc file:

Edited once, last by vogel69 (March 13, 2018 at 9:12 AM).

• Hmmm... I don't see anything immediately obvious that looks incorrect, although I'm not very experienced with sceneProc yet either.

One minor thing, that probably doesn't make any difference, is in your .tsc file: on the lines that say "[tmsimulator_scenery_cultivation][element][0]", I always have that number after [element] increasing for each new .toc. So the end of those lines would be [element][0], [element][1], [element][2], etc. But I really don't know if that's necessary or if it makes any difference at all..

One minor thing, that probably doesn't make any difference, is in your .tsc file: on the lines that say "[tmsimulator_scenery_cultivation][element][0]", I always have that number after [element] increasing for each new .toc. So the end of those lines would be [element][0], [element][1], [element][2], etc. But I really don't know if that's necessary or if it makes any difference at all..

I thought like you but apparently it does not matter.... If you edit a .toc file from scenproc you will also see that each tree is declared in the same way without incrementing. ;)

• Have you tried to increase the parameter 'size' in your airport TSC?

This parameter will read how far out from your airport the files load into memory.

Try to increase this from the default 5000 to maybe 30000 but to be more precise you can measure out from your airport in meters and use that number.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• In most cases scenProc auotdetect works great, but I have noticed the same "clearcut" effect while cultivating relatively small areas (0.1 X0.1 degrees).

If I was cultivating areas in the Canadian Rockies it would look normal, but in the Alps I am sure the Austrians would be horrified to see clearcuts on the mountain slopes. 8|

i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz | ASUS Z170-A | 16Gb DDR4 | Samsung SSD 950 PRO NVME M.2 256GB | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on GP102-A GPU | Oculus CV1 | Windows 10

• Have you tried to increase the parameter 'size' in your airport TSC?

This parameter will read how far out from your airport the files load into memory.

Try to increase this from the default 5000 to maybe 30000 but to be more precise you can measure out from your airport in meters and use that number.

Thank you Jeff,

Yes I've tried to increase from 5 000 to 50 000 after reading your answer on another post here ;) ... sadly with no luck :(

• during my tests I find something interresting:

the empty area seems to correspond to first features of my shapefiles (about 15000), you can see that in QGIS (yellow are selected features) on the screenshot:

[Blocked Image: https://tof.cx/images/2018/03/13/945db5bafa7749f6d562b4043a1b8758.jpg]

it was like the first records were replaced by last ones during the generation of the .toc file / or when loading .toc file in AFS2...

• during my tests I find something interresting:

the empty area seems to correspond to first features of my shapefiles (about 15000), you can see that in QGIS (yellow are selected features) on the screenshot:

It looks like a stack issue... How many entries do you get per TOC file?

As the case may be, the level 11 Grid already makes too large tiles for the format when covered with so many trees... (just a guess)

The current text format for cultivation is anyway not suited for scenery making, it was only thought for locally placing a handful of trees and houses around an airstrip.

Good luck

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Hi Antoine,

thanks for your help :)

first, apparently, there was a bug in the data filtering of the function "CreateAF2Plant" of Scenproc, I reported it to Arno who corrected yesterday...

So I already have fewer trees that are generated by scenproc (it's still that won ;) )

"How many entries do you get per TOC file?"

with Level 11: often well above 200,000 trees ! (with old scenproc)

with Level 13: most of the time between 50,000 and 150,000 and sometimes up to 200,000... (with new scenproc filter)

I will continue my tests:

1 / - reclassifying the trees declared in .TOC file randomly to see if the empty areas become less visible.

2 / - by reprocessing .TOC files, limiting the number of elements (100,000, 150,000,200,000)

3 / - by dispatching the trees declared in a TOC file in or 3 different .TOC files

best regards