• Morning all. I joined the forums just now after searching yesterday for support and compatibility information for Saitek hardware. I'm not sure I have a good handle on it.

I have the following: trim wheel, pedals, switch panel, radio panel, multi-panel, TPM.

I believe there are issues with FIPS, but wasn't 100% sure whether that was / is still the case.

Can I get an official statement and guidance on the support please?

I am currently a P3D flier and while I have FS2 in my Steam wishlist I have not purchased yet until I can ascertain the hardware support situation.

If this gear (that I have) is not fully supported, is their a roadmap or statement about future support, either directly or via a plug-in or something (like FSUIPC or SPAD.Next in the P3D world)?

Thanks

Jeff in New Zealand

• See pmb's post - My impression of the VR hands thing.

Sounds like you might have a similar high-end setup but the outlook for support sounds doubtful if you read some of the follow-up speculation in that post and then factor in that the IPACS Dev Team is a small team and people with a high-end setup like yours are a small part of the flight sim community.

That's just my speculation / 2 cents worth - hope the link above is helpful.

• Jpreou,

Hello and welcome to the AFS2 user/support forums.

A few of us have the same Saitek gear as you. Most unfortunately, only the yoke and pedels work as designed. The radio panel has most of the displays working properly but, the switch panel is hit or miss. The mags do not work, only some of the switches work on some of the planes - a mix of which lights with different planes. The strobe does not work on any that I have found. The Nav works on most. The landing gear handle works most of the time and the 3 greens do light up and go out when the gear is cycled.

The Multi panel has a few things that work but you can't tell this by looking at the display and none of the lights work. The flaps switch does work and I think the trim works.

The FIPS has no support whatsoever. Neither does the BIP.

SPAD.Next developer has stated that the user community is not large enough for him to support Aerofly FS2. My guess is he would have everything working in a week or so if he was to take it on. I also heard he had experienced some health problems this last year.

I would also like to read an official statement on future support of Saitek gear.

Regards,

Ray

• jpreou - welcome to the forums!

I have Saitek gear and most are indeed quite usable in Aerofly.

1) Trim, Pedals and Yoke function fully, no concerns there. (I don't have TPM, but data is similar to a throttle control so my guess is thumbs up there)

2) The Radio & Switch Panel have been really good, but like with any sim, some aircraft simply don't interact if they are missing the capability or function.

3) Flight Information Panels - I have one, doesn't work in Aerofly. This may or may not be rectified anytime soon (I suggest you don't make a decision based on these - meaning, it would be shame to not try AFS2 due to no current FIPS support and, don't hold your breath for implementation anytime soon) Many users really would like to see this working so I read of continued requests by community members about this, but there are loads of other projects for IPACS to focus on.

As of this date I think we are in those months/year(s) where the status of 3rd party work is just taking shape. Obviously scenery is taking steps with Orbx, Aerosoft, DLC and SDK user creations, but things like Aircraft, Weather, Plugins, Hardware, etc, still needs to be worked out by IPACS at the core sim level.

Those coming to Aerofly from different sims have to be ready to accept the youthful properties of this sim compared to others. The missing pieces will arrive and the record shows they will be of very, very high quality - since I have owned the software, the Q400, Massive free DLC, and Orbx have all come along, which to me, triples the value of my original purchase. Meanwhile get ready to "oo and ah" at the huge step forward Aerofly is. Smoothness, terrain distance, quick loads, and ease of use is why I spend so much time in the IPACS virtual skies.

• While my hardware setup as a whole may be bit on the higher-end (although I know MUCH more advanced solutions), Saitek FIPs as such are certainly all but high end. Quite a lot of users have at least one or a couple of them running. Unfortunately still under Prepar3d, FSX, XP, and FSW only. Plus, the Saitek Switch Panel should have at least the magnetos working, that's something really basically in my mind.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• While my hardware setup as a whole may be bit on the higher-end (although I know MUCH more advanced solutions), Saitek FIPs as such are certainly all but high end. Quite a lot of users have at least one or a couple of them running. Unfortunately still under Prepar3d, FSX, XP, and FSW only. Plus, the Saitek Switch Panel should have at least the magnetos working, that's something really basically in my mind.

Kind regards, Michael

I agree that some of the most basic features of the panels that are not working in Aerofly FS2 could be turned on, connected, hooked up, or whatever now and maybe the full set of features could be worked on one rainy day in the future.

For instance, I think enabling the digital readouts for the Multi-panel would go a long way in making the panel useful for the Autopilot functions, even if it remained crippled, it would be still be a gesture of good faith by IPACS, IMHO. The same for turning on the button lights when they are active. Geez, how hard could that be?

Ahh. I feel better now.

Regards,

Ray

• My Saitek Throttles, Yoke, Pedals, trim wheel, and AV8R joystick all work well enough. My problem is the Klutz that has to work them!! Having fun learning it though!

The issue is not with the controls which work very well indeed. The issue is with the Panels and Flight Instrument Panels (FIPs).

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• I actually use a cheap Logitech 3D joystick, rather than more exotic yoke or Thrustmaster HOTAS or anything like that. Its ok.

I don't actually have the Saitek FIPS and I'm not sure I will get them unless I build an actual cockpit, rather than a 'sim pit'.

BUT, and its a big but (oo-er!) ... the rest of my panels (multi, switch, radio) simply must work if I am to get into AFS2.

The only caveat to that I have right now, is that in a short while (a few days after 05-Apr) I will be hiring for one week the new Vive Pro to try out on my P3Dv4 setup. My expectation is that I still won't think VR is where I'd want it to be yet ... I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised! It is possible, though I think unlikely, that maybe the Vive Pro will start my journey to VR ... in which case external hardware becomes somewhat redundant. But don't hold your breath...

Jeff in New Zealand

• Jeff, I'm looking forward to your 1st post after you have tried a VR flightsim. The resolution will be one step back but the immersion is 10 steps forward!

It's amazing to be able to tilt your head back and see the over-head instruments or when flying an F-18 at the top of a loop (and upside-down), tilt your head back to spot the runway below you. I also notice I scan left/right out the windows more frequently in VR due to old habit from the Cessna flying lessons days - just wish there was some traffic in the pattern!