Creating terrain heightmaps

• Technically, the TIFF format should be easy to handle... Just open in QGIS, set your TFW and TMC files and there you go.

Thanks for reply.

Hello Hartman,

Did you see my article about Norwegian elevation meshes?

Thank you for pointing it out. Yes, I've seen this before. But then I was busy with AeroScenery. I'm way behind you guys ....... :)

• Thomas, do you know if it is nessecary to use the program TransDem(payware) to convert the Norwegian mesh data?

No, if you can get TIFF data, all you need beyond AFS2 SDK is QGIS (free) and Notepad++ for editing your config files.

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Thanks Antoine.

These are the files i got after downloading Norwegian mesh data.

One DATA folder including these files:

one TFW 1kb

one TIF 99000kb

one OVR 27oookb

One METADATA folder including these files:

7 different files all 1kb

Is only my TIF file from my download needed to proceed?

Sorry i have not tried making mesh before, i am a complete newbee :S

• Hello Hartman,

Did you see my article about Norwegian elevation meshes?

Cheers,

Thomas

I'm very interested in this 1 m Norway data.

Is this kind of data always based on a survey of the ground elevation? I have 2 reasons for asking: (1) I would have thought it would be quite difficult to "see" the ground if the area is built up. (2) If the data were high enough res (ideally better than 1m - but 1 m might suffice) it could give a 3D effect to man-made structures - which could perhaps be useful in the context of flight sims. Obviously, since the aerial images contain no info about vertical surfaces, it wouldn't be much use for buildings - but it might model structures such as Hadrian's Wall or maybe even forests.

Ian

Edited 2 times, last by Ian C (January 22, 2019 at 4:28 PM).

• can some one tell me what this error means in sceproc? .

11:39 PM ImportOGR Error ImportOGR requires between 4 and 5 arguments

regards

coxo2436

I-74790 cpu win10 gtx1080TI 32 gb ram 2x1TB ssd:P

• can some one tell me what this error means in sceproc? .

11:39 PM ImportOGR Error ImportOGR requires between 4 and 5 arguments

Hi Coxo2436,

Please don't take it the wrong way, but it would be great if you could create a separate thread for your scenproc topics. This one is about terrain heightmaps creation.

I don't have your step sysntax to point out the mistake, but the error tells you that you need 4 or 5 arguments for your Import OGR step, meaning you obviously didn't set them properly.

You have direct help in Scenproc while typing your syntax, and ScenProc tries outlining erroneous arguments in the lower window, please check while typing.

The manual also shows handy syntax examples for each step, have you checked it out?

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• thank you for your reply but i dont know how work all this forum stuff i keep getting into trouble with people on forums because i dont know the correct protocol i am just hitting and missing for help its SOOOO frustrating

i try searching but searches dont work

sorry

coxo2435

• I think it's pretty much the same protocol everywhere : always try to stick to the thread's topic you're posting in.

Coms directly related to a topic addressed in a thread are to be posted in that thread.

Coms related to another topic should go into another thread dedicated to that very topic.

If no thread exists about your topic, then create a new one.

There's a +CREATE THREAD button to create a new thread.

Cheers

Antoine

• can anyone tell me what causes the sloping water when doin height maps for sydney australia

Yes, that's typically due to the mesh resolution and terrain model rendering.

Coastlines usually need a flatten to force water to keep level. quite tricky to do in AFS2.

Cheers

Antoine

• basically you need to open the geotiff in a grafic program capable of doing so. Then it mages sense to highlight it so you see anything, modify the tiff and reduce the highlighting back to the level before. Gimp can do such thing. Last step is to export the tiff as an uncompressed tiff. You also need to flatten your runways this way.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• thank you but i would not have a clue how to do that i have gimp but dont know how to use it but i guess thats another "thread":/

Edited once, last by coxo2436 (January 22, 2019 at 4:00 PM).

• Hello Ian,

the 1m resolution is so high, that you even can see the noise protection walls here:

Yes indeed. The distinction between a "man-made structure" and a natural terrain feature is a bit arbitrary anyway I guess. I suppose if a structure is sufficiently "solid" it will be treated as part of the ground.

This certainly attracts me towards giving Norway a go - expecially since I've noticed that there are now some pretty good aerial images for southern Norway.

Edited once, last by Ian C (January 22, 2019 at 9:45 PM).

• Hi Coxo2436, as mentionned, please start a dedicated thread for your Aeroscenery questions, this thread is about mesh compilation.

Aeroscenery is under development, I already pointed out to Nick that using the same word "Level" for 2 interdependant parameters whose scale don't match leads to confusion, but that's his choice. Just get used to it.

Cheers

Antoine