Creating terrain heightmaps

• I found a source for Austria and Switzerland: https://www.freytagberndt.com/shop/377000093…-swiss-austria/

It's stated, that it is for FSX and P3D, but "the data have to be compiled to be usable by FSX. They are resampled according FSX world grid index system called LOD".

Do you think that this data could be used with QGIS and GeoConvert for FS 2?

The product you see here is not the source data : it's a compiled mesh product for FSX/P3D and cannot be used in AFS2.

As stated on the page, the source data is the payware 5m DEM NEXT by Intermap.

This source is unaffordable unless you're a professional selling many thousands copies...

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• This may help

I got my SRTM 30 metre data from this site

http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/srtmdata/

it has geotiff's that cover most parts of the planet

I used the 5 x 5 degree tiles, which geoconvert real quick like say 15 minutes from my bad memory when I did NSW Central Coast of Australia

Just watch out for No Data Pixels in the source geotiff, which you will have to expunge as when geoconverted they become 20,000ft spikes.

Nothing Gimp can't fix.

• My dear dude there's a tutorial video by qwerty42 on page 1 of this very thread explaining the process.

The only difference is the source file, Qwerty42 got his files from USGS site

But the process is the same and even easier as you are dealing with one geotiff file and not two like the tutorial, so finding the map extent will be easier.

Follow the Tutorial video, thats how I did it , with some adjustment for my part of the world, co-ordinates, map extent etc.

Edited 2 times, last by ozhomeroz (July 12, 2019 at 2:59 PM).

• Pity it doesn't cover Finland?

With over 17,000 views this tells me that there are a lot of FS 2 fans out there wanting to improve their flight sim and don't know how to do it.

I can make scenery and cultivation BUT have no idea on this subject.

What is needed is a "simple step by step" tutorial so that we can all have a go.

Thank you to ozhomeroz for his contribution and web link.

Best wishes, Michael :)

Edited once, last by IZ0JUB (July 12, 2019 at 3:20 PM).

• You mean Geoconvert has generating 100% of the tiles but there is nothing in its output folder ?

In that case maybe you have set wrong coordinates in your TMC file (or even in the TWF file) ? The minlatlon and maxlatlon fields can be disturbing....

• That was awfully quick

Follow the tutorial CAREFULLY, adjusting it to your geotiff file and location

Check that you have 3 files in the correct folder as shown in the tutorial, For example mine were:

mesh_conv.tmc

srtm_67_19.tif

srtm_67_19.tfw

Did you edit mesh_conv.tmc and add the map extent of your file

Is the .tfw file correct as well

As an IT teacher I say often: 99% of mistakes are spelling mistakes.

For homework, check your input files are correct and in the correct places.

You cannot just use QWERTYs files as is, you need to make adjustments to the them mesh_conv.tmc and tfw file to suit your map for mauritius.

• Wow!

Your advice prompted me to create a complete description based on the video instead of the notes already made.

I downloaded the files again, checked my changed mesh_conv.tm:

[lonlat_min] [55.0000000,-20.0000000]

[lonlat_max] [60.0000000,-25.0000000]

The coordinates come from the *.hdr file:

Corner Coordinates:

Upper Left (55.0000000,-20.0000000)

Lower Left (55.0000000,-25.0000000)

Upper Right (60.0000000,-20.0000000)

Lower Right (60.0000000,-25.0000000)

I hope that I didn't mix anything.

However, it is strange that there are slightly different coordinates in the *.tfw file, which came with the download:

In my first try, I didn't change it, the second time, I adjusted it to the data from the *.hdr file:

Again, no result :/

BUT, there is another thing, which might be responsible: I put the coordinates according to the video and the example file mesh_conv.tmc to the levels 12, 13 and 14. The example of the video has 1/3 arc-second, which means 10 metre data. The downloaded tif are 30 metre data. Should I put the coordinates to another level???

• You must also have the correct values in the first and forth line of the tfw file. If this does not match your source tiffs it will fail.

Also check the coordinates of your tmc file. This will set the size of the output area. Especially check if the order of lon lat is correct and you did not enter them vice versa.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• I was creating Terrain Heightmaps a few months ago no problemo.

A few weeks ago I wanted to perform the task again, failed. Last week I tried again, failed.

GeoConvert would start converting tiles but no Elevation .TTH files are appearing in the 'scenery/images folder'

Very odd, because I've quadrupled checked my work/process and it checks out (at least to me). I even reinstalled SDK kit, same results.

Definitely will need to find a volunteer to try the conversion. I will package all the files/folders to GoogleDrive if anyone is willing to just click the Batch File button?

If anyone would like to help a fellow out please PM me. :)

• ZoSoChile Move your plane to a very different place and back again, so AFFS2 will load your files and did not use a cached version. Or reboot your computer. (If you don't have it already. Ah sorry, this is nonsense in your case... No idea for you at the moment. )

Lucky1960 : the tmc defines the output area. Of cause this area should cover the area from the input files, somehow. it does not matter what resolution the sources have. The values the tfw file you can find inside the geotiff properties. Or you can calculate them if you know the size of the geotiff (pixel) and the target area (latlong -> width, height in meter) of your geotiffs. Usually it is quiet the same from geoTiff to geotiff in the same region - but it can be different if the pixel x pixel is different.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

Edited once, last by flightxtreme (July 12, 2019 at 6:41 PM).

• The values the tfw file you can find inside the geotiff properties

The tif has a size of 6000 x 6000 pixels. Which values should be inside the file?

I attach the file, which I downloaded from http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/srtmdata/:

srtm_48_17.zip

Maybe someone wants to check, if it is possible to create elevation from this. <3

Here is my German tutorial for the work flow to show you that I tried to come to an own result ;(

Mesh-Erstellung.zip