Throttle Issue

• I'm not sure if this is a bug or a user error, but here's what's happening. This occurs on all aircraft.

Given:

+ My Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle has been calibrated in both Windows and FS2>Controller Setup>TWCS Throttle

+ The controller graphic in setup for the Throttle (Z axis of the controller) shows full movement of throttle off to full throttle correctly and linearly.

+ Sensitivity setting does not affect the problem.

+ Deleting gc-map.mcf to force rebuilding it doesn't change the symptoms.

+ The throttle works fine in Project Cars 2 and other games.

Problem/Issue:

Throttles go to full throttle when the throttle slider has only gone half way. The graphic/movement of the throttle goes from 0% to 100%, when the physical slider has only gone from 0% to 50%. Control of the aircraft throttle is diminished to only half of the actual throttle controller throw. Unable to fully exploit full throttle controller movement.

I can provide a video of the issue if need be.

I'm curious if other TM TWCS users are experiencing this issue.

Edited once, last by RoyPettit: changed does to doesn't (you only see typos after you've hit send) (March 17, 2018 at 1:28 AM).

• You're not the only one experiencing this, it has to do with the different controls interacting with one another. If you place your control axis in the center, then use your mouse to pull the lever in the cockpit, then move your external input again you will see what we try to accomplish.

Maybe a change can be made so that the control input behaves as before as long as only one input has been used. Its really annoying if you want to fly the A320 and set it to the landing configuration by clicking on the map and as soon as you move the throttle a bit you're punching it into a go around.

So we're working it.

• I wondered why my Cessna had become almost uncontrollable (in terms of fine use of power) in the circuit. Now I do indeed see that the throttle movement in the sim no longer corresponds to the lever movement of my CH throttle quadrant.

Does this have anything to do with the implementation of VR hands by any chance? If so, I would encourage IPACS to find a way to balance the needs of both the VR hands gaming crowd, and the more traditional simmers who still use cockpits, throttles, and the like. These two markets overlap to some degree, but there are still those who will fall into one or the other camp without the desire to change.

- Kenneth

Edited once, last by KJKsimmer (March 17, 2018 at 7:48 AM).

• Hi,

I had this problem with my CH throttles after an update in August last year. See link.

CH Throttle Problem

I used that work around up until the vr hands update when the throttles went haywire again.

After spending hours recalibrating etc I found a controller reset in windows control panel did the trick.

This worked for me on all aircraft tested so far: (windows 10) goto control panel/devices and printers/right click ch throttles/left click game controller settings/select ch throttles left click properties /click settings/reset to default. then test.

Hope this helps

Mick

• Thanks Mick, will give it a go.

Please let us know how this goes. My preference is to wait for an official fix, but it appears this issue is not at the top of IPACS To-Do list, so we may need a temporary work-around. While I don't consider this issue a "show stopper", it is definitely an inconvenience, from my perspective, in that it prevents fully exploiting the FS2 experience. I wonder if this explains why I can't hold altitude in the Pitts in knife edge -- can't get to full throttle.

• Odd... I have that same throttle, but I am not having this issue. Just tested to be sure. What I do see is that if I move the throttle via some other means, like using the touch controller, and then move my HOTAS throttle, the movement is damped until the HOTAS 'catches up' to the position of where I moved it with the touch controller. Then it responds normally again.

Is it possible that you have multiple axes mapped to the throttle in AeroFly? If I remember correctly, it is possible to have overlapping axis assignments from two different controllers (e.g. your flight stick and your throttle) and it's not very easy to see in the controller setup screens. After a recent update that reset all our controller mappings, I think that the slider on my flight stick was mapped by default to throttle, in addition to the throttle itself. So check that and see if it is the case. Just click on that throttle axis setting, press delete, and then repeat this a few times to make sure you've cleared anything else from being mapped to it.

• Please let us know how this goes. My preference is to wait for an official fix, but it appears this issue is not at the top of IPACS To-Do list, so we may need a temporary work-around. While I don't consider this issue a "show stopper", it is definitely an inconvenience, from my perspective, in that it prevents fully exploiting the FS2 experience. I wonder if this explains why I can't hold altitude in the Pitts in knife edge -- can't get to full throttle.

In retrospect, since I use the same throttles with FSX, and it is fine there, I will also wait for a fix instead of risking messing up the settings for FSX in the process of trying to change something IPACS is (hopefully) working on.

• Odd... I have that same throttle, but I am not having this issue. Just tested to be sure. What I do see is that if I move the throttle via some other means, like using the touch controller, and then move my HOTAS throttle, the movement is damped until the HOTAS 'catches up' to the position of where I moved it with the touch controller. Then it responds normally again.

Is it possible that you have multiple axes mapped to the throttle in AeroFly? If I remember correctly, it is possible to have overlapping axis assignments from two different controllers (e.g. your flight stick and your throttle) and it's not very easy to see in the controller setup screens. After a recent update that reset all our controller mappings, I think that the slider on my flight stick was mapped by default to throttle, in addition to the throttle itself. So check that and see if it is the case. Just click on that throttle axis setting, press delete, and then repeat this a few times to make sure you've cleared anything else from being mapped to it.

I think this is the answer, duplicated assignments. I've checked mine and discovered a double assignment to Throttles, on both my TWCS and my Stick. Will test later, but I'm confident that's the reason.

Will report back here anyway.

Cheers, Ed

• Is it possible that you have multiple axes mapped to the throttle in AeroFly?

:thumbup: Good catch qwerty42! Indeed both the joystick slider and HOTAS controller were mapped to the throttle! Alles jetzt gute!

If you reset the mappings to default (or delete the controller control file as we were recently instructed to do), it comes up with both controllers mapped to the throttle. So it was user error after all! ^^

I know IPACS probably gets physically ill at the thought of adding another item to their To-DO list, but in the process of progressing from a "simcade" to a top-of-the-line professional simulator perhaps they could programmatically check for duplicate/overlapping mappings and pop up a warning message.

p.s. Solving this issue didn't fix the inability to fly the Pitts straight and level in knife-edge flight as I'd hoped.