Aerofly Audio Replacement Package Released

• Interesting.......

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Thanks for the hint I bought it. It does work (I tried at least the C172), however, I have indeed to overwrite the original files. Even if I made backups I don't like that idea (think about IPACS updates). I would have preferred the exchange sounds to go into /Documents where my user-made scenery is. I tried this but it did not seem to work.

Does anyone know the exact procedure how this could be achieved, or is this impossible?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• There is a rtf-document in the package describing installation - by overwriting original AeroflyFS files in the aircraft directories. Which I think isn't the best idea, though.

At least the C172 sound is cool.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Thanks for the hint I bought it. It does work (I tried at least the C172), however, I have indeed to overwrite the original files. Even if I made backups I don't like that idea (think about IPACS updates). I would have preferred the exchange sounds to go into /Documents where my user-made scenery is. I tried this but it did not seem to work.

Does anyone know the exact procedure how this could be achieved, or is this impossible?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

You could probably do it the way Jans C120 mod works.... Create maybe a plane called C120soundmod (etc) and place the new sound files in there....

Would likely be a fairly painstaking process, though.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• One item to note. If you are expecting the F4U sounds to be fixed to vary with the throttle settings you will be disappointed. These replacement engine sounds may be somewhat better than the default sounds of the Corsair but if they remain constant and do not vary from idle to full throttle, why bother? This was the first upgrade that I checked.

Regards,

Ray

• The sounds do perhaps improve the default ones, but as mentioned there is some way to go.

The readme mentions a limitation of the sim itself...

Well we don't have 3D position sound yet but other than that you can do quite a bit with the tmd file and custom sound files. Just replacing the samples is probably not going to be enough here, to add more effects there is just no way around tweeking the tmd file and adding new sound triggers.

• Worth considering in the light of VR being a big attraction of this sim?

Subtle perhaps, but hugely adds to immersion.

Yes, one of things on the long list of things we could do. This has been discussed in this forum in the past, so I'm not going to go into more detail here.

It requires quite a bit of work on our side, its not a simple thing we can just add in.

• Well we don't have 3D position sound yet but other than that you can do quite a bit with the tmd file and custom sound files. Just replacing the samples is probably not going to be enough here, to add more effects there is just no way around tweeking the tmd file and adding new sound triggers.

Jan,

I understand it is not time for sound updates. But, until it is time for that update, could one of the other plane's sound files be used as a replacement for the missing F4U sound file that varies the engine sounds with throttle movements? It is so unnatural not to hear some change when advancing or retarding the throttle on that big ole Corsair engine. Maybe use the B-24?

Regards,

Ray

• Jan,

I understand it is not time for sound updates. But, until it is time for that update, could one of the other plane's sound files be used as a replacement for the missing F4U sound file that varies the engine sounds with throttle movements? It is so unnatural not to hear some change when advancing or retarding the throttle on that big ole Corsair engine. Maybe use the B-24?

Regards,

Ray

That is the main feature of the constant speed prop, the propeller and engine are rotating at a constant speed and thus the sound is pretty much constant as well.

This is a feature of the real aircraft (just get used to it)... one could add a bit more "load", so more lower frequencies, yes. But that requires some work on the sound engine as well if we want to add in a low-frequency gain.

• That is the main feature of the constant speed prop, the propeller and engine are rotating at a constant speed and thus the sound is pretty much constant as well.

This is a feature of the real aircraft (just get used to it)... one could add a bit more "load", so more lower frequencies, yes. But that requires some work on the sound engine as well if we want to add in a low-frequency gain.

I understand the effect of the constant speed prop - my first type rating was the DC-3 with the very similar sounding double wasp R-1830s. Although the F4U's R-2800 had 6 extra cylinders it was basically the same engine as the DC-3 just longer and more complicated. From the pilot's window the sound changes on a takeoff roll and climb out or the reduction in throttle is unmistakable. Those are very large props and when the pitch changes it can be easily heard and observed.

Regards,

Ray

• I remember messing around with the Dash-400 engine while on the ground and noticed a sound change - can't remember if it was just the REVERSE sound or actual blade pitch changes. I think the KingAir has some minor inflight sound changes if you feather the props.

I agree that "constant speed prop" should not mean "constant sound" because changing the pitch of the prop changes the amount of air being moved by the prop - more air = more wind noise. Just not sure at 200 knots if the general wind noise is louder than the prop noise.

Visually, I agree the prop animation wouldn't change unless the prop ghosting can represent different prop pitch angles.