Aerofly Audio Replacement Package Released

• Oh no, not the "noisy camel"! I have the sounds for it, I'll put it together and post it...my ears bleed already thinking of the hours of editing that

aircraft sound...LMAO!!

Thanks for the feedback on the release package guys. I am just now digging into the (sound parameters) that control the sounds for Aerofly 2.

I will be asking questions no doubt! I love Aerofly 2, been waiting for this simulator for many years!

Cheers and happy flying :)

Aaron

Skysong Soundworks

• Hello Aaron,

Welcome to Aerofly FS 2. A few of us jumped on your AFS2 Sound Pack as soon as we heard about it. The tire noise of touchdown is missing in all the default sounds and the gear and flap movements vary by model from OK to non-existent. I was pleased to hear that you assembled a sound package for us.

Regards,

Ray

• Hello Aaron,

Welcome to Aerofly FS 2. A few of us jumped on your AFS2 Sound Pack as soon as we heard about it. The tire noise of touchdown is missing in all the default sounds and the gear and flap movements vary by model from OK to non-existent. I was pleased to hear that you assembled a sound package for us.

Regards,

Ray

Thanks Ray, I was glad to get something going with Aerofly 2! I am hoping we can get the sound up close to where the graphics are, a long reach but trying is always good!

Cheers,

Aaron

• Excellent work Aaron, thanks so much for your efforts to improve the AFS2 experience for all of us!

I think IPACS would be wise to expedite development of a sophisticated sound system for AFS2. It sure seems to be an area where there is room to make a technological leap and standout against the competition. Proliferation of VR headsets means the aural experience is subject to closer scrutiny, quite literally. In my opinion, the audio engines of flight sims are still stuck in the 90’s; at the very least the 3D sound field immersion lags far behind the visual innovations we are seeing of late. In media school they teach the importance of quality audio as being paramount to an audiences acceptance of any visual footage regardless of whether it be an intentionally grainy horror film, an IMAX nature featurette, or a live streaming broadcast.

• Excellent work Aaron, thanks so much for your efforts to improve the AFS2 experience for all of us!

I think IPACS would be wise to expedite development of a sophisticated sound system for AFS2. It sure seems to be an area where there is room to make a technological leap and standout against the competition. Proliferation of VR headsets means the aural experience is subject to closer scrutiny, quite literally. In my opinion, the audio engines of flight sims are still stuck in the 90’s; at the very least the 3D sound field immersion lags far behind the visual innovations we are seeing of late. In media school they teach the importance of quality audio as being paramount to an audiences acceptance of any visual footage regardless of whether it be an intentionally grainy horror film, an IMAX nature featurette, or a live streaming broadcast.

Well sir, you said exactly what I had been thinking. If you can combine all elements of the simulator on an even plane you've got the ultimate winner. I've been at the audio side of things since 1996. We've always struggled with the sound engines, mostly having to create work around for whatever was lacking. I'm not complaining, it's just been the reality since the inception of the windows based simulator. I do like the fact that Aerofly 2 is using a (physics) based sound engine, adds more realism to the exericence. I am very interested in seeing Aerofly 2 become one of the best. The IPACS team have done a great job thus far, like to see it all come to fruition top notch for them and us!

Cheers,

uoutoftoon

Aaron

• Just downloaded. I've only installed the c172 so far, but i can already say this is well worth 10 quid. Taxiing around the airfield is much more interesting now with the variation of engine noises. I see from the rtf that this is 22k mono. Stereo would be so much nicer. Does it need to have fancy 3d spatial functionality Jet-Pack (IPACS) or can a stereo be done more simply?

Also it would be great blacksmoke55 if you can do some tmd file tweaks too and incorporate new sound triggers. Flaps please in the c172.

Especially in VR with the resolution compromises we currently have, additional sound immersion would really help a lot.

• Official Post

Just downloaded. I've only installed the c172 so far, but i can already say this is well worth 10 quid. Taxiing around the airfield is much more interesting now with the variation of engine noises. I see from the rtf that this is 22k mono. Stereo would be so much nicer. Does it need to have fancy 3d spatial functionality Jet-Pack (IPACS) or can a stereo be done more simply?

Also it would be great blacksmoke55 if you can do some tmd file tweaks too and incorporate new sound triggers. Flaps please in the c172.

Especially in VR with the resolution compromises we currently have, additional sound immersion would really help a lot.

1) no we can't simply add stereo sound. Actually it is impossible to have stereo sound sources in real live, stereo comes from your two ears, so we don't need stereo sound samples we need a sound engine that outputs stereo sound, which, as mentioned before, will require major changes to the sound engine, not as easy as playing a stereo sound.

2) we didn't include the flap sound in our cessna because the real world cessna's we have access to have flap motors that are so quiet that you cannot hear them when the engine is running. There may be other models that you can hear, but we opted for maximum realism there and left it away. Now that the engine can be turned off you should be able to hear it though, so we might add it in for the default cessna at some point. But that can be added easily from the outside, just needs a differentiator object and the sound triggered from that.

• I have flown a lot of different small Cessnas over the years and if I didn’t hear the grinding sound of the flap motor I would instantly think I had an equipment failure. Very unmistakeable and certainly not quiet. I actually thought Cessna was not capable of making a quiet operating flap motor. 😏

The IPACS model must be a very unique model. Try any of the thousands of You-tube videos and I would bet not a single Cessna has a silent flap motor.

Regards,

Ray

• 1) no we can't simply add stereo sound. Actually it is impossible to have stereo sound sources in real live, stereo comes from your two ears, so we don't need stereo sound samples we need a sound engine that outputs stereo sound, which, as mentioned before, will require major changes to the sound engine, not as easy as playing a stereo sound.

Thanks for clarifying this. I know it doesn't provide the same eye candy impact of VR hands but I bet it would add loads to a VR experience. Does blacksmoke55 have the source data/audio I wonder? I know that's been an obstacle you've flagged up in the past.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you're working on this on the quiet and that when we get some 3rd party aircraft they'll come with audio upgrades.

• I have flown a lot of different small Cessnas over the years and if I didn’t hear the grinding sound of the flap motor I would instantly think I had an equipment failure. Very unmistakeable and certainly not quiet. I actually thought Cessna was not capable of making a quiet operating flap motor. 😏

The IPACS model must be a very unique model. Try any of the thousands of You-tube videos and I would bet not a single Cessna has a silent flap motor.

Regards,

Ray

You could certainly hear, and feel, the flaps moving on the Pipers that I used to fly.

• Speaking of "sound" Had an intermittent buffeting helicopter noise in my speakers the last few weeks. Man, I kept trying everything to get rid of it!!

Could not track it down. Sitting to my right on my equipment table is my modem, telephone, and router. Just for fun I unplugged the router, *Tad-Da*

Case solved! The router was sending noise into my sound blaster amplifier and feeding it into my speakers. Had to move the router further away from

my computer. Its funny how these small pesky things pop up now and then!

Well I am spending some hours digging around in Aerofly 2 and trying some different things with the audio. I have had a look at some of the tmd stuff.

Trying a few minor tunings, lab experiments so to speak. Working on the oil slinging, smoke sputtering, ear shattering, flying apart at the seams god

forsaken Sopwith Camel sound...lol! I can see why it killed so many young pilots! Most probably bailed out to stop hearing the noise!! :) I hope you guys don't mind my sense of humor, it keeps me young. There is hope, spring has arrived here in the mid atlantic U.S. and my golf clubs are shined up and ready to go! Hoo-Ray!

Cheers and happy landings!

Aaron

• Did you say Ray. no, oh hoo-ray. ;)

I vote to adding the noisy flap motor to the C-172. But, that is just me. 8o

Regards,

Ray

• I was just speaking to somebody and saying some of the cooler things just might have to be added to Aerofly by third parties. This latest development is very promising.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Its great having you on board Aaron. I'd get some dialog going with Jet-Pack (IPACS) , he knows the tmd inside out, has customised his own version of the c172 and is always keen to help with aircraft mods and improvements.

• Official Post

but.. but... why would you turn off a sound that sounds like a helicopter :)8o