FSCloudPort Support Thread

• What is a country?

A philosophical question to start the day. It is something I've been grappling with when it comes to linking (in particular) small islands to countries in fsCloudPort. After Yoda@01na built a few airports off Madagascar I decided to get to the bottom of it.

The answer is ISO 3166

The high level map tool I use already matches land masses to country codes and I've learned that the code system they use is ISO 3166, which means for example (fyi TomSimMuc ) that Gibraltar is not linked to the UK but has its own code "GI" - see the column on the right of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibraltar

I'm using Google's tools to cross check the long/lat of any airports saved to the country they've been linked to and will now "correct" any mismatches. I'll do it manually at first so I can alert the author that their airport has moved, then automatically.

• Hi Phil,

understood so for. But how will you represent GI on your world map, so it is recognized as an own country?

How should someone click on that single pixel, just to find out, if there is an airport or not?

I fear the airport will get lost of recognition that way...

/Thomas

Cheers, Thomas

• How about some custom code that groups the Islands geographically? Can you draw an oval around the Caribbean Island chain and just call it Island Chain and group them all together. the text will explain who they belong to country wise.

We may end up with 3 or 4 or more Island Groups and then have several other islands stand alone due to their isolation from other islands. Hawaii, Azores, etc.

I agree that the map is small and the islands are smaller so I have trouble finding islands that I am already familiar with.

Regards,

Ray

• Excellent point Ray. Gibraltar was an interesting example to pick on as I now see that my high level map doesn't even have it !

I'd better work out how that code works and add Gibraltar. Going forward though, as I've used plugin code that I didn't write myself I'm reluctant to spend time investigating how to recode it for other island groupings with so many other things people want sooner.

For now GI is back to GB

• Excellent point Ray. Gibraltar was an interesting example to pick on as I now see that my high level map doesn't even have it !

I'd better work out how that code works and add Gibraltar. Going forward though, as I've used plugin code that I didn't write myself I'm reluctant to spend time investigating how to recode it for other island groupings with so many other things people want sooner.

For now GI is back to GB

Then, for now, how about an "other" grouping for those that will fall in the crack or just fail to show on the high level map?

Regards,

Ray

• or maybe something like Other - Atlantic, Other - Paacific, Other - other?

Ray

Sorry Ray, like I say this is "plug in" code. I've no idea how the high level map works right now!

• How about a link to a page with the created airports listed in a table? People might want to then sort the airports by Author or runway length or by most downloads.

yes i can see that being useful.

• Hm yes, a better mesh (without spikes and other anomalies) would be nice. Does anybody have a free source to build it for Europe? I will be interested.

There is also some good 1" mesh data for the Alps here http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem3.html

/Stu

i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz | ASUS Z170-A | 16Gb DDR4 | Samsung SSD 950 PRO NVME M.2 256GB | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on GP102-A GPU | Oculus CV1 | Windows 10

• I have built a fictional airport west of tucson arizona where you can find all xref objects in one place. It is like an exhibition one can visit and see how the the objects look like in the sim. The airport has the fictional name GAOA (generic airport objects airport) and has four runways, all 36/18 but only on the one most west can be landed, the others are filled with static aircrafts.

I have also placed objects from the generic airports object list which can be downloaded from the downloads aerea. In order to see them you need to replace your GAOA.tsc by the one attached to this message. I worked with xref placeholders and replaced these objects later in the tsc file by objects from the generic airports object folder. You must also add the textures (ttx)and tmb-files of these objects to the GAOA folder. Maybe later I will also add the aircrafts from the generic airport objects list.

Have fun,

Thomas

Files

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

Edited once, last by TomB (April 22, 2018 at 12:16 PM).

• I have built a fictional airport west of tucson arizona where you can find all xref objects in one place. (...)

Good input Thomas !

Too bad there's still no slew mode in AFS2 to go checking the XREF objects under all aspects...

Since XREF librairies are expected to grow and change (hopefully), it would be great if there was a simple way to automatically generate such a "scenery" by systematically calling each object in turn in a specific folder and placing them in row...

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Good input Thomas !

Too bad there's still no slew mode in AFS2 to go checking the XREF objects under all aspects...

Since XREF librairies are expected to grow and change (hopefully), it would be great if there was a simple way to automatically generate such a "scenery" by systematically calling each object in turn in a specific folder and placing them in row...

Cheers

Antoine

I did actually make such a function and put an airport in Poland called TST that way. I needed it to test the orientation of each building. In the end though I needed to manually move every building as their footprints varied so much that spacing was all over the place. I might put it back with some refinements.

• I did actually make such a function and put an airport in Poland called TST that way. I needed it to test the orientation of each building. In the end though I needed to manually move every building as their footprints varied so much that spacing was all over the place. I might put it back with some refinements.

For some reason IPACS limited some XREF objects to USA, did you have many missing objects in Poland ?

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• For some reason IPACS limited some XREF objects to USA, did you have many missing objects in Poland ?

No because of the xref_global.zip download that is provided with each airport.

• I assume the generic objects you refer to are the ones to the upper left corner of your pic?.

Cheers, Ed