3d Buildings - textures needed

• Hi all,

Yes, I am still here and plugging away at cultivation.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I might get some good textures for these buildings, I am not the most artistic person on the planet.

Thanks in advance for any advice provided :)

Handy cultivation tools

Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift

Edited 3 times, last by Kloot (April 1, 2018 at 11:15 PM).

• I'm in the process of doing the Miami (Florida USA) downtown skyline, taking a lot of emblematic buildings from 3Dwarehouse, but adding them as 3D Objects, not doing it through cultivation. I suspect you won't find your textures that way. Suggest to contact Rodeo, he's very helpful.

Keep us posted.

Cheers, Ed

• I'm in the process of doing the Miami (Florida USA) downtown skyline, taking a lot of emblematic buildings from 3Dwarehouse, but adding them as 3D Objects, not doing it through cultivation. I suspect you won't find your textures that way. Suggest to contact Rodeo, he's very helpful.

Keep us posted.

Cheers, Ed

I look forward to seeing it :)

Handy cultivation tools

Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift

• I look forward to seeing it :)

For sure!, I'm almost done, probably one or two more days. I'm also adding several 3D Objects to KTMB (Tamiami Executive), originally created using FSCloudPort, you know it, right?. My Miami project includes the downtown skyline (including Brickell Ave, Coconut Grove and downtown itself), the KTMB improved airport and some other buildings near Kendall-Miami (South). I'll probably expand this project to include South Miami Beach, but that will be v2.0.

Cheers, Ed

• For sure!, I'm almost done, probably one or two more days. I'm also adding several 3D Objects to KTMB (Tamiami Executive), originally created using FSCloudPort, you know it, right?. My Miami project includes the downtown skyline (including Brickell Ave, Coconut Grove and downtown itself), the KTMB improved airport and some other buildings near Kendall-Miami (South). I'll probably expand this project to include South Miami Beach, but that will be v2.0.

Cheers, Ed

Wow, you are really getting into it, well done :)

FSCloudPort is an excellent tool, should bring more sim enthusiasts on board.

Handy cultivation tools

• Hi,

try to find images in the www and create a bmp 1024x1024, approximately 6 floors high. It can be done rather quickly with cut, copy and paste.

Check this thread for custom textures:

Let's localize the building textures

Regarding floating: I suppose all these buildings are added as a single group, and the TC parameter specifies autoheight.

So the whole group may sit on top of a slight elevation.

• Ed, any idea why my buildings are floating, I did this in Sketchup.

Hi:

It seems you've got assistance from the experts Jan and Rodeo!.

I work with AC3D (I assume it's similar to yours), and it gives you the option to set the proper elevation of each object in one of the 2D views (AC3D has a cross reference you can use to set the reference point in the TOP view, which is the one you must include in your TSC file, and the elevation reference line in the FRONT view, to make sure it will be aligned with the surface). I do check the correct elevation every time I place a new object on my scenery, otherwise it could be submerged (sunk) or elevated like in your picture. Once you get practice you do this automatically.

Seems you're working with a complete group of 3D objects. I'm working with objects placing them one by one in their correct location on the scenery, a little bit tedious, but certainly very entertaining.

When I'm ready I'll post some screenshots of Miami downtown/Brickell and KTMB.

Please let us know who it goes.

Cheers, Ed

• Regarding floating: I suppose all these buildings are added as a single group, and the TC parameter specifies autoheight.

So the whole group may sit on top of a slight elevation

Hi Rodeo, very good information.

Which is the correct specification of the autoheight parameter on the TSC to avoid problems with the elevations?. Does it affect thw whole group of objects or it will detect individual elevations on them?. Curious.

Cheers, Ed

• Hi.. Objects are placed using the pivot point (3ds Max) or what ever is similar in ac3d/ sketchup etc. Always best to make sure it at zero in the vertical axis if you want that object to be on the FS2 ground plane

This is fine for small objects but for large objects or groups some of the edges/objects may appear to float because of sloping ground modelling in FS2.

Solution, break up large groups or for a single large object you may need to rotate it to align with FS2 ground plane, you can also move the verts beneath zero but this can cause things like doors to be slightly submerged.

• Hi Rodeo,

Thanks for the advice, I will check the auto height settings.

I am still looking for some good images :)

Cheers,

Paul.

Handy cultivation tools

• Hi Ed,

Thanks once again for your input, every bit helps. I will now work on trying to resolve this issue :)

I look forward to seeing some screenshots of your scenery :thumbup:

Cheers,

Paul

Handy cultivation tools

• Hi Paul:

Please look here for my initial screenshots of Miami (FL, USA) downtown, Key Biscayne and parts of Coconut Grove:

Aerofly FS 2 Screenshot Thread

It's a shame I couldn't find more buildings for the area, to populate it more. Additionally, the texture quality of the buildings should be good enough to stay good after applying ModelConverterX, AC3D and the IPACS exporter to TGI files, something that's not always the case.

Work is almost done for the downtown Miami. Now, I'm working on additional 3D Objects over KTMB (Tamiami Executive Airport) and Kendall (South Miami). I'll post shots of the airport when it's finished.

Cheers, Ed

• Looks great Ed, well done. I hope mine turn out like that :)

Handy cultivation tools

• Hi Rodeo :

Could you please explain a bit why in your video for adding 3D objects to AFS2 you recommend to reduce the drawcalls within ModelConverterX and then after to optimize vertices and surfaces in AC3D as well?. Could these optimizations reduce in some way the quality of the 3D object textures?.

Thanks, Ed