Setup Engine On Off

• Could someone advise me if there is an Engine ON-OFF toggle in FS2. Reading through the manual I didn't found one. Some of the planes have the tendency to immediately start to roll even when my throttle slide is at its absolute lowest position. Thanks

Edited once, last by Vitorlazo (April 4, 2018 at 10:57 PM).

• Official Post

There is no engine on off toggle in Aerofly. There is a parking brake toggle for those that have a parking brake, this will stop you from rolling away.

The rolling away is realistic for most aircraft. Its what aircraft do in real live because their engines are designed to fly, and not to idle on the ground. If idle were as low as needed to stay put the engine would go out and if one modified it to be able to have such low idle it would not be able to achieve the max power or thrust needed for takeoff.

• The rolling away is realistic for most aircraft. Its what aircraft do in real live because their engines are designed to fly, and not to idle on the ground.

May I disagree? I have never seen a plane rolling away from a gate on its own despite that their engines are on low rpm "idle". Never seen on tied down airplane on an airfield either. The pilot (or service personnel) must disconnect the tie downs or take the break chokes away in order to run. I do not say that FS2 should have as many options like X-Plane 10, 11 has, but what harm would it be in making some improvements? How hard would it be for FS2 to implement an ENGINE on-off option? I am a programmer and if I'm asked by a client to do this in one of my programs, I would do it in 5 minutes while he is still explaining what he wants. Granted, distributing the update could take that many weeks.

I appreciate the advice to use the parking brake but for me that is just a bandage instead of a solution. You have to use your keyboard or even worse allocate another button on you controller with limited number of buttons. I'm dreaming of development not only fixes. Doors opening/closing, nothing fancy, just the simulation of real life basic scenarios.

Best regards

• Ridgeskimmer wrote:
    Is there not a Mod that allows you to start the C172 I think?

The default C172 does this too

My question was about the behavior of the Aermacchi MB-333. I'm happy to learn that some planes do this. While I'm not a complete newbie to flying or flight simulators, as my Avatar indicates I'm a Beginner with FS2 or at least commenting on this FS2 site. So I truly appreciate and thank all the help that makes learning it easier and quicker. The fact that some planes do this implies individual profiles and configurations for various planes. Obviously that would be the best of all worlds but I wasn't aware that is documented and published. Not to mention that MODs can be made to those configuration files. Is that true or I have misunderstood the referring to that possibility.

I apologize for my beginner status but the idea would be to learn, that for me done best from learning from those who already in the know and not experiment on my own. So just one more question. While this Aermacchi MB-333 flies beautifully (in fact perhaps too easy to control), its engines never display exhaust flames whether still on the ground (low or zero throttle) or in high speed flight. In real life most planes don't except like when afterburners kick in, but on FS2 pictures and videos it shows in very nice blue, orange red colors. Do I miss something or is that also some feature that must be manually turned on? Thanks.

Regards

• The rolling away is realistic for most aircraft. Its what aircraft do in real live because their engines are designed to fly, and not to idle on the ground.

May I disagree? I have never seen a plane rolling away from a gate on its own despite that their engines are on low rpm "idle".

Best regards

Taxi at idle thrust is perfectly normal for most types, at high gross weights you may need a little breakaway thrust.

• It would definitely help, am sure the devs are planning on adding these little details. Or perhaps there is something in a config file to default with PB set. I do have to panic set the park brake quickly when starting the sim, especially when parked at a gate.

• That would mean that the addition of an engine ON-OFF option is a much needed basic requirement, or at the very minimum starting all simulations using planes that could roll on their own should be with the parking brake set to ON.

They might be in the future. Its very likely that even the aircraft without parking brake will have some sort of assistance to stay put when you load them on a starting position at the gate or ramp. But if you place them on the runway they should be ready for takeoff. A parking brake would be really annoying then and that's why its always off right now.

• They might be in the future. Its very likely that even the aircraft without parking brake will have some sort of assistance to stay put when you load them on a starting position at the gate or ramp. But if you place them on the runway they should be ready for takeoff. A parking brake would be really annoying then and that's why its always off right now.

Thanks, I'm still struggling just to even discover the undocumented features of this program. A job worthy of a Hercule Poirot.

• Even after landing and the throttle set to zero frequent repeated application of the brake is the only way to prevent the plane to run amok. My passengers are complaining about whiplash. Seriously when left alone the idle throttle (indicated as 0 (zero) at the throttle lever in the cock pit) the plane keeps with excessive speed, I cannot read such a low speed on the speedometer calibrated for Mach speed but when you try to estimate it feels like driving a car between 40-50 miles.
    • When I complete a flight and park too close to a building or another plane, if I don't keep holding the break or set the parking brake I smash into the object front of me with no chance to turn around or recovery. When that happens subsequent FLY sessions start with the nose in the wall or in the other plane. Quite demanding task for a student.
    • A new Select plane or Select airport is needed to recover from a crash and start a new flight? Isn't there a new mission or refly mission option?
    • How do I start a flight with a glider? Are there no tow planes to call and start?
    • What is the red and white triangle object by the wing? Is that some kind of control to manipulate the plane?
    • Why is the throttle (slider) suddenly used as an air brake on the glider?

Just to mention of few tips of the iceberg.

Isn't there a useful documentation for this program?. The one published on the web talks more about "mobil" application than about basic PC use. Are taht menay user using 5-7" screen iPhones. I have a 43" monitor! Thanks

regards

• Our manual for the desktop version is the Aerofly Wiki: https://www.aerofly.com/dokuwiki/

3) When you crash your aircraft is set to the next runway automatically. You can disable this if you like by changing the reset time to infinite. You can also assign a button to reload the aircraft.

4) starting a glider: Use the location dialog and its slider on the right to select the air start or assign a key to the quick lift up, which can be found in the control settings

5) What triangle? The one in the aerobatic aircraft? That is a visual guide for aerobatics to judge 45 degrees, 90 degrees and level flight.

6) because currently there are no gliders with engines in our aircraft and on approach the airbrakes are used similarly to the throttle of a normal aircraft. You pull aft to slow down and push forward to accelerate. This let's you control the rate of energy loss very precisely and whats better than using the throttle which is unused in a glider?

• Since the gliders are missing from the

Aerofly FS 2 Aircraft Information

your reply helped me a great deal of getting the basic information I was looking for.

4) understand and will experiment

5) Yes, if I'm correct the Polish designed Swift that can do some aerobatic maneuvers.

6) Since I flew gliders for some years, I (as almost all glider pilots) view gliders with engines more as a joke than a real glider. So you can understand why was I missing a tow plane or even just a winch. Anxious for a flight in Austria of the Swiss Alps. This may explain why I found the throttle taking the role of a stick or flaps very unexpected. If gliders are ever are updated I'd like to request that they are simulated as they fly in real life. Since Aerofly was (I believe still is) a German company this should be really come naturally to them, since Germany played a major role between the wars to use and popularize glider flying. It should be a matter of national pride. Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Edited once, last by Vitorlazo (April 13, 2018 at 2:32 AM).

• So you can understand why was I missing a tow plane or even just a winch. Anxious for a flight in Austria of the Swiss Alps. This may explain why I found the throttle taking the role of a stick or flaps very unexpected. If gliders are ever are updated I'd like to request that they are simulated as they fly in real life. Since Aerofly was (I believe still is) a German company this should be really come naturally to them, since Germany played a major role between the wars to use and popularize glider flying. It should be a matter of national pride. Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Yes, winch launch or towing is one of the things that I also would like to see added in the sim.

The gliders itself are flying just like in real life?! Especially the ASG29 was set up by me in countless hours of work and I think it flies pretty realistic. Maybe a slight touch to much lift and too little drag when the flaps are at landing config but apart from this it feels pretty good, just like the gliders I fly in real life.

• Yes, winch launch or towing is one of the things that I also would like to see added in the sim.

The gliders itself are flying just like in real life?! Especially the ASG29 was set up by me in countless hours of work and I think it flies pretty realistic. Maybe a slight touch to much lift and too little drag when the flaps are at landing config but apart from this it feels pretty good, just like the gliders I fly in real life.

I'm an old timer and as I wrote "flew" gliders for some years. In my memory each glider has its own behavior even more so than powered airplanes. I never had a chance to fly an advanced fiberglass glider such as the ASG29. You designed the ASG29? My sincerest congratulation for that effort and achievement. The SWIFT I like less.

But I do agree with you, one gets used to them fairly quickly and then the feel is pretty good. I fly them in FSX but its a bit unnatural. In real life there is a lot more buffeting and difference whether you fly with or against the wind. That, as I'm sure you know, might be a big factor whether you land on the airfield or in the cornfield. AFS2's great sceneries make me wish that I could do it more. Wind sound simulation would be a plus. I used to play the Aerolfy Pro Deluxe RC-Flight simulator and was very happy with it. I still have it but since it doesn't port to Window 10 I must change computers and are limited to smaller screen. But its photo realistic sceneries (like Neuschwanstein field) were a pure pleasure. As good or perhaps better than being there and wrecking real planes.

The generation of thermals and even ridge lift I find different in FSX from what I've experienced. When I fly over a dry pasture that I'm sure will generate some I find none, then all of a sudden over a body of water you get a lift. Hmm! It also lets you get away with things that in real life would surely end in a stall, or even a corkscrew. That in fact is not a bad thing. Challenges, if desired, could be options, but I don't really care for them. But I don't expect miracles just an sedate approximation of real flight.

I must say that all the planes I flew in AFS2 fly very nice, better than FSX, and luckily much easier than real planes would. I don't believe that in real life I could sit in a fighter plane (even just a trainer) and simply take off and fly. I recall for my first solo flights and I still feel the excitement (well maybe in retrospect, fear) when your plane starts to move.

Regards

Edited 2 times, last by Vitorlazo (April 13, 2018 at 10:28 PM).

• I'm an old timer and as I wrote "flew" gliders for some years. In my memory each glider has its own behavior even more so than powered airplanes. I never had a chance to fly an advanced fiberglass glider such as the ASG29. You designed the ASG29? My sincerest congratulation for that effort and achievement. The SWIFT I like less.

But I do agree with you, one gets used to them fairly quickly and then the feel is pretty good. I fly them in FSX but its a bit unnatural. In real life there is a lot more buffeting and difference whether you fly with or against the wind. That, as I'm sure you know, might be a big factor whether you land on the airfield or in the cornfield. AFS2's great sceneries make me wish that I could do it more. Wind sound simulation would be a plus. I used to play the Aerolfy Pro Deluxe RC-Flight simulator and was very happy with it. I still have it but since it doesn't port to Window 10 I must change computers and are limited to smaller screen. But its photo realistic sceneries (like Neuschwanstein field) were a pure pleasure. As good or perhaps better than being there and wrecking real planes.

The generation of thermals and even ridge lift I find different in FSX from what I've experienced. When I fly over a dry pasture that I'm sure will generate some I find none, then all of a sudden over a body of water you get a lift. Hmm! It also lets you get away with things that in real life would surely end in a stall, or even a corkscrew. That in fact is not a bad thing. Challenges, if desired, could be options, but I don't really care for them. But I don't expect miracles just an sedate approximation of real flight.

I must say that all the planes I flew in AFS2 fly very nice, better than FSX, and luckily much easier than real planes would. I don't believe that in real life I could sit in a fighter plane (even just a trainer) and simply take off and fly. I recall for my first solo flights and I still feel the excitement (well maybe in retrospect, fear) when your plane starts to move.

Regards

In real life there is no difference weather you fly with or against the wind. Or not really noticeable. When you fly 150km/h and the wind speed is just 20km/h you just have higher or lower ground speed but all turbulence and your aircraft are blown away with the same wind so it doesn't matter if you fly with or against the wind. The only difference that you have is geostationary turbulence, e.g. when flying near trees on the final approach.

And landing on a corn field is pretty rare, its not like we can't change the outcome of a flight, there is a lot of things that we can affect to land at an airfield. One of the huge benefits is that we can glide up to 40km from only 1000m high, so any height you have times 40 gives you your range. So even if you get low you might still have an airfield in range, that's why we usually don't land on a field :)

No, I didn't design the ASG29 (the thing that you see), that was done by someone else. I changed the flight model, so I'm responsible for the handling qualities so to say.

The aircraft in Aerofly are pretty realistic from my personal experience. Especially fighter jets are easy to fly in the real world because most of them have flight augmentation (fly by wire).

• In real life there is no difference weather you fly with or against the wind. Or not really noticeable. When you fly 150km/h and the wind speed is just 20km/h you just have higher or lower ground speed but all turbulence and your aircraft are blown away with the same wind so it doesn't matter if you fly with or against the wind. The only difference that you have is geostationary turbulence, e.g. when flying near trees on the final approach.

And landing on a corn field is pretty rare, its not like we can't change the outcome of a flight, there is a lot of things that we can affect to land at an airfield. One of the huge benefits is that we can glide up to 40km from only 1000m high, so any height you have times 40 gives you your range. So even if you get low you might still have an airfield in range, that's why we usually don't land on a field :)

No, I didn't design the ASG29 (the thing that you see), that was done by someone else. I changed the flight model, so I'm responsible for the handling qualities so to say.

The aircraft in Aerofly are pretty realistic from my personal experience. Especially fighter jets are easy to fly in the real world because most of them have flight augmentation (fly by wire).

Your experience may vary:

"I have landed in 8 farmer's fields over my 18 years of soaring in and around Utah and have always been met by the farmers and their families with great enthusiasm and interest in the beautiful ship from the sky that landed in their field...But not all farmers are always sober or appreciate the lines of a sailplane...

...Have any ideas or tips with dealing with angry farmers who don't see the beauty in soaring? Also, what does the law say about our right to land on their private property? We could either land there or crash there - the glider is coming down either way. Can they legally confiscate our glider? Demand ransom or a landing fee? How do you deal with a pi..ed off farmer holding a shotgun?

Thanks for any stories or insights,

Bruno - B4"

I was lucky never to land in one but I helped several of my pals to remove their gliders from wheat, corn, etc. fields, disassemble, put it in a trailer as quick as we could. By the way I was trained in an all metal (aluminum) two-seater with a best glide ratio about 20:1. In reality most of the time less than that. That is close to what a 747 has. I guess it required a bit more planning and concern than a modern fiberglass performance glider having 40:1. Not to mention to find and utilize thermals.

Edited 2 times, last by Vitorlazo (April 14, 2018 at 6:28 PM).