Vive Pro and Aerofly - Amazing!

• I got my Pro yesterday and no setup, no adjustments, with FlyInside. It just worked. And man is it beautiful! While there is still screen door, is very fine and you look right past it. I was looking for flaws specifically and focusing on the displays, but as soon as I was into the sim, it goes away. Beyond that, you can read all the small text in the gauges, see the texture on the instrument panels, and everything looks that much more real. Performance is great too. I had one core running 100% and my GPU (1080Ti) was also cranking up to 100%, but Aerofly was still smooth. It’s really something to see and something I’m going to put pilots and non-pilots in to show them VR. It’s really beautiful. Highly recommended!

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, 2 dof Motion, Valve Index

• Good to hear. But I will pass until there is no screen door effect at all. (If ever.) If I hadn't bought the Rift a year ago I might have bought the Vive Pro but I am done with VR for the coming years, I think.

• Good to hear. But I will pass until there is no screen door effect at all. (If ever.) If I hadn't bought the Rift a year ago I might have bought the Vive Pro but I am done with VR for the coming years, I think.

Why allways so negative? If one wants to see the screen door effect one sees it. I have a rift since last christmas and i haven't flown once on the monitor since then. I still find it absolutely great.

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• Why pay so much. The Odyssey has the same resolution but half the price.

It has the same resolution and probably even the same panels, and I almost got one myself, but I kept seeing people comment that the tracking was laggy and there were glitches, and then the obvious one of if its cameras can't see the controllers, they drop out. People also are commenting about the comfort. Can't pull anything back behind you if that's the case and it can affect a number of scenarios.

The Pro has so many changes that it's basically a new headset that still has the dimples on it. HTC upped their game on comfort big time. Balance is excellent. It has audio controls on the earphones. Tracking is excellent. I also do more than just flight sims. I hear that Odyssey is really pretty good for flying and driving since in general you aren't using controllers. But that puts it in a fairly narrow application since it's workable but apparently not stellar in other applications.

I'm not bashing the Odyssey. It's a well-priced headset with tracked controllers. It's also $500 which is just $300 away from the Pro for me since I already have Lighthouses and controllers. Obviously, those without that stuff would have to spend more to get the Pro, but for me, it was a simple decision.

• Why allways so negative? If one wants to see the screen door effect one sees it. I have a rift since last christmas and i haven't flown once on the monitor since then. I still find it absolutely great.

I probably overemphasized the screen door too. It is there and you can see it if you look for it, but just as in the regular Vive where you would look past it and focus on the experience, that's even easier now with the Pro.

I can also look for pixel artifacts on my monitor and see them if I look for them. It doesn't mean that I focus on them or see them when I'm not looking for them.

All I can really say is higher resolution really plays well in Aerofly. VR was great in it before. Now it's just amazing. I would never go back to flat screen gaming.

One other bit is I think Aerofly's menus in VR are fixed size. Now in VR on the Pro they are noticeably smaller. It's not an issue but you do notice it.

• Zed, did you pre-order yours? I did and haven't heard a thing from HTC about shipping yet.

I did but from Amazon. They then upgraded to release day shipping so that it would arrive on the release day. HTC was shipping some to also arrive on release day but that may depend on where you live and such.

HTC has been hit and miss on this - again. Some got order confirmations, some didn’t. Some got shipping confirmations and apparently some didn’t. It looks like they are shipping via FedEx. If you sign up with FedEx, you may get a shipping notice from them. I think you can also look for all packages destined for your address.

When did you order? HTC apparently sold out fairly quickly but should have new stock soon I would guess.

• There is at least on person on the Steam site who can't get his to track and is sending it back.

I notice the HTC site is out of Controllers and Base Stations...

The Odyssey works OK and the drop outs with tracking are being caused by low batteries.

I just can't get a good picture of the instruments going through steam.

Anybody taking pictures of the visual inside the headset?

HTC Vive Cosmos Elite

Win 11

• Okay guy's please keep this old coot in the loop. I bought this program when it fist showed up some months ago? I haven't bought the VR yet It will come obviously.

Can you tell me what the 'screen door" effect means.

Ta.

Taranakian/Jim

Computer: PB Gaming 62000 Skylake Core i5 6600, Quad Core 3.3Ghz with Premium Cooling, 16GB DDR4 Gaming Ram, 250GB SSD, 2TB HHD, N'VIDEA GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5, DIRECTX12 Gaming Graphic's Card, VR Ready, Windows10 Home Edition, 64bit, 2 x 24" Widescreen HDMI 1080p VDU's

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Amateur Radio Station: ZL2BMH

• Can you tell me what the 'screen door" effect means.

Ta.

Taranakian/Jim

It's the driving/power lines leading to the pixels. For LCD displays, they have to be routed between the pixels and you see the mesh.

The effect is resolution-dependent. The higher the resolution the less space (in percentage) these lines take. I never had a VR device myself so far. However, I am into home cinema, and one of my early cinema projectors had quite noticeably screendor. My present one is made by Panasonic who use a suble birefringence system to overcome screendoor and that device indeed doesn't show it (at least not noticeable in a normal view distance). Another method are pixels made of mini-mirrors (DLP/DMD - the TI system) where you can (obviously) lead the lines on the backside. I cannt imagine this system to be used for VR equipment for obvious reasons, though.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• It's the driving/power lines leading to the pixels. For LCD displays, they have to be routed between the pixels and you see the mesh.

The effect is resolution-dependent. The higher the resolution the less space (in percentage) these lines take. I never had a VR device myself so far. However, I am into home cinema, and one of my early cinema projectors had quite noticeably screendor. My present one is made by Panasonic who use a subtle birefringence system to overcome screendoor and that device indeed doesn't show it (at least not noticeable in a normal view distance). Another method are pixels made of mini-mirrors (DLP/DMD - the TI system) where you can (obviously) lead the lines on the backside. I cannt imagine this system to be used for VR equipment for obvious reasons, though.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Okay guy's please keep this old coot in the loop. I bought this program when it fist showed up some months ago? I haven't bought the VR yet It will come obviously.

Can you tell me what the 'screen door" effect means.

Ta.

Taranakian/Jim

Remember when you were a kid and you sat too close to the color TV? You could see each individual color dot (pixel) if you got close enough, with black in between each dot. Screen door is the ability to perceive each dot on the screen, and the black around each dot makes it look a little like you are looking through a screen door. I find I only notice it when I try to. The Vive Pro is supposed to make this much less noticeable because it has more pixels packed into the same space, thus there is less black surrounding each pixel.

• I have the Rift and love it. I do not see any screen door. But to look out the window and look down at 30,000 ft. is amazing. I have never flown a sim without VR But for those that do not have VR try to demo it at a store or a friends house. I can get off work and fly miles from home and I feel great even if I land in Zurich. I still get to work on time the next day.