Any news from Aero-Expo, IPACS, VRMotion, Aerofly FS2 and the R-22 today?

• Thereā€™s at least a couple of really nice 6 dof bases out now. MotionSystems.eu has a really nice looking base but it was 13,800ā‚¬ last price I saw. I bet Higgy is in the ballpark saying above 10,000 ā‚¬/$.

They arenā€™t that hard to build yourself though - especially if you go for the worm gear / arm style Brunner and Motion Systems are using. Costing should easily be below half what the companies are getting even if you have a commercial shop cut and weld all the framing. Some build the framing out of wood. The trick is sourcing all the right parts first time and not wasting money. There are various designs at XSimulator.net that people have worked out but some are way overkill on the motors and need their own power circuits to feed them. Iā€™m really itching to build a 6 dof rig for VR and use a battery for main power surge requirements when running and recharge it between sessions. That can keep running power requirements manageable.

The 6 dof bases like Brunner's really look nice though and should last a good long while even under heavy use. VR gives you a full cockpit surround so the top platform doesnā€™t need to be heavy with a cockpit mock up or shell. I bet we see more 6 dof bases hit the market and prices come down some. Still expensive, though.

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, 2 dof Motion, Valve Index

• I got a preliminary quote from Brunner for a complete VRMotion 200. They will ONLY sell it COMPLETE, including computer hardware and software, controls, seat HMD etc. You might like to sit down before you read on - US$ 100.000 to 110.000 was the price quoted!

I have a very basic NextLevel motionbase going at the moment, but the realism it adds is quite amazing, particiularly combined with the Buttkicker and Gametrix JetSeat. Still use the Oculus Rift, but impatienly waiting for the Pimax 8k kickstarter pledge to come good. Currently looking at both the MotionSystemsEU 6DoF base, and an Australian manufacturer called CKAS. Iā€™m sure the Brunner will be the ā€œRollsRoyceā€ as it has force feedback controls etc. but I like to tinker and put stuff together myself, so the ā€œcompletenessā€ of the Brunner platform doesnā€™t really appeal to me. I really like to get the R22 in Aerofly though, as helis is the only thing that has me coming back to to X-plane. Thereā€™s just so much beutiful scenery waiting to be explored in a rotary wing in Aerofly, so hoping an early access version isnā€™t TOO far away!

Flying A330 as a day-job and enjoy VR-flying with PIMAX 5k+. NextLevelRacing v.3 Motion platform, Watercooled and overclocked i9-9900k, 32Gb 3600RAM, Samsung 970EVO Pro 2Tb m.2, nVidia RTX-2080Ti FE, Thrustmaster HOTAS, VKB pedals, Cockpitforyou motorised throttle quadrant, Precision Flight Controls Jetliner column

• They're aming for the pro market, not us desktop pilots. 100k is peanuts if it's a valid training tool.

Youā€™re exactly right. Itā€™s a different market, but as the ambition level (and requirement in this professional market segment) is a flight model that realistically emulates the true nature of a R22 - it will certainly benefit all of us, once its released to the community. I truly hope that the good folks at IPACS are considering early (Alpha) release to get it into the hands (and get the feedback from) the wokka-wokka enthusiasts among us;-)

Flying A330 as a day-job and enjoy VR-flying with PIMAX 5k+. NextLevelRacing v.3 Motion platform, Watercooled and overclocked i9-9900k, 32Gb 3600RAM, Samsung 970EVO Pro 2Tb m.2, nVidia RTX-2080Ti FE, Thrustmaster HOTAS, VKB pedals, Cockpitforyou motorised throttle quadrant, Precision Flight Controls Jetliner column

• Ohh, and donā€™t be shy about charging for this add-on IPACS. Donā€™t think any of us have expectations that you will keep value-adding to the excellent product we already have access to. A good heli in Aerofly FS2 is a real game-changer!

• Been there today as well. ^^ Nice to see the IPACS Team again.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• Ohh, and donā€™t be shy about charging for this add-on IPACS. Donā€™t think any of us have expectations that you will keep value-adding to the excellent product we already have access to. A good heli in Aerofly FS2 is a real game-changer!

Agree 100%, I'd happily pay for a complex aeroplane upgrade. A helicopter or enhanced aeroplane (air density/fuel mixture and oil temperature/cowl flaps for example) pay add-on would be more welcome than another scenery area and I can do without auto route flight any day.

Later ! I have just realised that the Cessna has working mixture. Sorry I have been away from PC FS2 for a year ( not in prison :) ).

Edited once, last by Overloaded: correcting my ignorance. (April 26, 2018 at 11:02 PM).

• Very informative, thanks.

Sorry, tried to upload two or three pics from my smartphone which doesn't work and I couldn't deleted the post.

compared to the Aerosoft Sim Conferences we could see much more motion plattform and cockpits. What I was interested would have been a 360 degree 3 axis simulator plattform. Sadly there was none. I have seen videos of such simulators, well... maybe next time.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• compared to the Aerosoft Sim Conferences we could see much more motion plattform and cockpits. What I was interested would have been a 360 degree 3 axis simulator plattform. Sadly there was none. I have seen videos of such simulators, well... maybe next time.

It's good to see much motion interest, though. Combined with VR, itā€™s a really amazing experience. And itā€™s not out of reach to the rest of us if you are even mildly handy with tools and a soldering iron. Xsimulator.net is one source for software and help for anyone interested.

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, 2 dof Motion, Valve Index