C172 Repaints have a transparent propellor

• I am working on a number of C-172 repaints, but every one is getting generated with a transparent propeller, as shown below. This isn't just in the preview image, the plane actually loads that way. Does anyone have any idea how to correct this? The texture file does have the black paint for the prop. It seems like the pilot-tube is not texturing properly as well, but that is harder to see. Ideas anyone?

• Did you set an alpha layer for your texture ?

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Did you set an alpha layer for your texture ?

The only Alpha I messed with at all was a specular alpha which I modified to allow the painted spinner, as opposed to the default chrome one. The specular alpha is supposed to effect the size and intensity of the specular 'glow', if I am understanding it correctly.

It DOES certainly appear to be an Alpha issue, however the texture that covers the propeller is the same texture that covers the fuselage and tail, and they are not transparent, so I don't think it is the textures them selves. Personally, I am thinking it may be an issue with the converter tool, that is applying the alpha improperly to that specific part. I am really hoping someone who knows the internals of the converter tool will see this and offer some help, perhaps even look into the code for the converter.

• I'm afraid the forum has been quite silent lately on IPACS side.

In the meantime, all I can suggest is ensure your BMP diffuse texture is a 24-bit format, and not 32-bit...

Good luck

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

Edited once, last by Trespassers (April 20, 2018 at 8:22 AM).

• Make sure that when working with the layers you remember to re-enable all of the layers that are required to make up the repaint for the aircraft.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Thank you Ed. First, I neglected to reply to your first question, and no, there has been no Q400 paint kit yet. I am hopeful that we may see one some day, but that day has not yet arrived. As for the propeller issue, not yet. I started working one a new repaint, as the ones I have been working on are ready to go once the prop is corrected, and this one, so far , actually shows the propeller!! Hummm...

Now I need to keep paying close attention as I work through this one paint, and see if a specific step in the process is causing the issue. Hopefully, we can get this all fixed, so that I can get these up for every one to use. Keep your fingers crossed that the prop stays with this one :)

• Thank you Ed. First, I neglected to reply to your first question, and no, there has been no Q400 paint kit yet. I am hopeful that we may see one some day, but that day has not yet arrived. As for the propeller issue, not yet. I started working one a new repaint, as the ones I have been working on are ready to go once the prop is corrected, and this one, so far , actually shows the propeller!! Hummm...

Now I need to keep paying close attention as I work through this one paint, and see if a specific step in the process is causing the issue. Hopefully, we can get this all fixed, so that I can get these up for every one to use. Keep your fingers crossed that the prop stays with this one :)

When your repaints are ready for distribution, will you be using Higgy’s friendly site?

https://flight-sim.org/index.php?welcome-en/

Regards,

Ray

• Yes, they moved previously uploaded files over to there, and I am sure I will post these there as well.

Great. Your repaints are the updates that we can see and use. Everything else seems to be cryptic and hush hush around here and may or may not be on the priority list that is being worked on. I’m hoping to see the Cardinal look alike.

Regards,

Ray

• Thank you GAC, that's a real nice add-on.

If you don't mind, what was eventually the issue with the propeller and the solution? I guess we all might learn anything from it...

Cheers

Antoine

• > If you don't mind, what was eventually the issue with the propeller and the solution? I guess we all might learn anything from it...

It was a combination of things. You were correct about making sure that the files were saved as 24 bit not 32 bit. (Thank you!) That got the prop showing at least, but it was showing as solid light grey with no apparent texture applied. Getting the texture actually took the longest time, because the repaint tool template does not include the prop texture, it is hidden by a large grey area and does not show either as a texture or as part of the UV Map. I finally tracked down where the texture was pulling from, and after a lot of trial and error and tweaking I was able to come up with an acceptable texture for it. I am really curious as to why the prop texture was deleted from the repaint tool. I am presuming it was done accidentally and not intentionally.