VR - use the Oculus Tray Tool for SteamVR Pixel Density and ASW settings

• For Oculus VR AFS2 users, I recommend using the Oculus Tray Tool for checking Pixel Density and ASW Performance- get it here:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/disc…fixes-hopefully

I wanted to try using the SteamVR approach instead of native Oculus runtimes and was getting a lot of stuttering and possibly an incorrect Pixel Density setting since there is a setting in the SteamVR world as well as the AFS2 Render Scale Factor. Steam VR also has settings for "Allow Reprojection" with various options - and that became confusing. I found some recommendations about this - one was that the Oculus Runtimes take over the ASW world. So I ended up liking setting the ASW to 45fps for fluidity as opposed to Auto and I watched Pixel Density with the HUD display. I also used the HUD for watching when ASW had to kick in which happens mostly in areas where you have added a lot of cultivation. THe Performance HUD shows "headroom" and therefore shows spikes in VR performance.

I was just using OTT for general performance settings for other VR applications, but it is useful for AFS2 as well.

Dave W.

• In the Occulus tray tool, one of the things I did was set supersampling to Zero, allowing full control (i think) of that setting to devolve to Aerofly. I think things work better that way, and there's less confusion about what program is in charge of what.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Using any settings related to graphics or supersampling outside of the actual graphics settings of Aerofly is NOT recommended .

For everything to run properly you should only use the Render Scale Factor (internal Aerofly setting) to improve the resolution quality but only for users with a very good GPU should use it beyond 1.00.

For all other users, 1.50 is strongly recommended by us.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• @drhotwing,

Yes - but when using SteamVR, there are a few settings for smooth, fluid operation and image clarity having to do with "reprojection" and pixel density that are directly controlled by the SteamVR app initially (and set by the user for other VR applications) and will be potentially later modified by AFS2. What I am suggesting, since there is no AFS2 feedback (printouts or otherwise) that will confirm what "timewarp" mode (45 fps image interpolation) you are in and what final Pixel Density (Render Scale Factor) you really have, Oculus Tray Tool directly provides that information via the "HUD".

Dave W.

• @drhotwing,

Yes - but when using SteamVR, there are a few settings for smooth, fluid operation and image clarity having to do with "reprojection" and pixel density that are directly controlled by the SteamVR app initially (and set by the user for other VR applications) and will be potentially later modified by AFS2. What I am suggesting, since there is no AFS2 feedback (printouts or otherwise) that will confirm what "timewarp" mode (45 fps image interpolation) you are in and what final Pixel Density (Render Scale Factor) you really have, Oculus Tray Tool directly provides that information via the "HUD".

Dave W.

Dave, yes this is true and accurate.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Just wanted to clarify something that I think isn't clear in this thread: for anyone using an Oculus Rift, you'll get better performance if you don't use the SteamVR build at all. IPACS supplies a build with the native Oculus runtime that you should be using, which bypasses SteamVR entirely.

Agreed on the Oculus tray tool, it's very handy for fine-tuning your performance since you can view the GPU headroom real-time. :thumbup:

• I had enought FPS, also in steam, do you think anything can go much more better also ?

How did i use the "non steam" version, when i only buy the steam version 1.5 years ago ( buy again the standalone version ?? )

mfg, Jens ... Flight-Sim.org

Mein Home-Cockpit ... My Simulator Hardware

MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4 --- SI INTEL Core i7-13700F 2.1GHz LGA1700 Tray --- Palit RTX4070 JetStream 12GB DDR6 --- 16GB DDR4 PC4400 --- SSD Patriot 1TB M.2 Viper VP4300 --- Pimax Crystal

Alles fliegt irgendwie,
    fragt sich nur wielange

• Misunderstanding? If you click 'spielen' in steam then you see three options:

- aerofly fs2 simulator spielen

- aerofly fs2 vr (oculus)

- aerofly fs2 vr (steam vr)

So you should always use the second option (oculus). Steam vr is for the htc vive users and others.

Thomas

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• Ahhh , ok, thanks for explanation, this is clear ..always use this second...

i think of your post... on the DVD ( not steam -version ) is another version of VR things ... :)

mfg, Jens ... Flight-Sim.org

Mein Home-Cockpit ... My Simulator Hardware

MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4 --- SI INTEL Core i7-13700F 2.1GHz LGA1700 Tray --- Palit RTX4070 JetStream 12GB DDR6 --- 16GB DDR4 PC4400 --- SSD Patriot 1TB M.2 Viper VP4300 --- Pimax Crystal

Alles fliegt irgendwie,
    fragt sich nur wielange

• Or use

-othervr

as a launch option. This way you can start Aerofly in VR from a desktop shortcut and you don’t have to click your way through Steam.

• I guess I should've explained that better, sorry about that :) FWIW, you actually can use either the (oculus) OR (steamVR) launch options with the Rift. They'll both work, but what I was saying above was that the Oculus one will perform better :thumbup: I just use " -othervr " as the launch option like J van E said so I never have to think about it.