Help for a Geoconvert beginner

• Let this be our next problem after we solved what we can on our plate, ok? :)

sure! ;)

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Exactly! This is the first step that is the most complicated: Segmentation Step

This is where Computer Vision comes in, you have to perform one or more treatments (Canny edge detector, or other...) on the image to identify two groups different by colorimetry. The human eye gets there easily, but that are necessary algorithms for a computer that I do not know unfortunately...

But they rely surely on the same algoryhtm principles as those that allow to detect a shape on an image (a face for example or building or road line for another, etc.) ...

some research to do again ;)

Edited 3 times, last by vogel69 (May 2, 2018 at 5:59 PM).

• hmmm... I thought that it could only load 1 file for any given tile at a certain geoconvert level, where priority is given to paths outside of the default installation directory (e.g. My Documents or any additional external path you've defined in its config file). There is a single unique filename for each scenery tile at each level, and based on the log file it looked to me like it would only pick 1 to load if it saw duplicates. But, I could definitely be wrong! I never actually did any in-depth testing to see if this really is the case. Hopefully it is capable of loading multiples of the same tiles and layering them somehow because that would make it a lot more feasible to seamlessly blend sceneries together.

• nickhod If it would help, I have the source code for the first version of FSET. It was posted on the web a long time ago when the developer abandoned it. Somebody else fixed some bugs with it later on and released a couple more versions, but I don't have the source for those updates unfortunately. You might be able to re-use pieces of it to manage the imagery downloads:

• If it would help, I have the source code for the first version of FSET.

If you still have the source files for V1.0, that was clearly Roland's aim (HB-100) as he stated:

http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11376

Actually, it would probably be quite easy just adding the AFS2 Geoconvert output to FSET, instead of the resampler for FS.

FSET computes and makes all the needed data for geoconverting, you just need to output them as AID and TMC file instead of INI and launch the Geoconvert tool instead of the resampler...

Additionally, FSET has everything that is needed for using different services as orthophoto sources and adding masks or seasons.

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Well, I posted a link to it here earlier and it looks like it got silently mod-nuked. This is the third or fourth time I've had posts wiped like this with no notification or explanation and it's really starting to grate my gears, honestly. They did the same thing with my post on how to create terrain heightmaps and I had to plead to have it restored.

• Actually, it would probably be quite easy just adding the AFS2 Geoconvert output to FSET, instead of the resampler for FS.

FSET computes and makes all the needed data for geoconverting, you just need to output them as AID and TMC file instead of INI and launch the Geoconvert tool instead of the resampler...

Personally, I would prefer Herve's new UI instead of a modified FSET. FSET is fine for developers, but I find its UI quite ugly and clumsy, notably the minimalistic map, the doubling of resolutions one for display and one of sampling, buttons like K-I-E-P-C confusing the beginner etc.

If Herve is developing something closer to Ortho4XP, which I imagine from his shots, this may certainly find more attraction among the average user. I am all for simplicity. We need tools the average user is willing to accept.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• I definitely agree with you on that Michael. FSET is quite clunky in a lot of ways like you described. However, it is pretty solid in terms of all its internal routines that download and build the imagery, so my hope was that some of that code might be useful to developers of newer, better tools like Herve's.

• If Herve is developing something closer to Ortho4XP,

I'm afraid Hervé is not developing any tool. It's Nickhod who is, but ok.

• I'm afraid Hervé is not developing any tool. It's Nickhod who is, but ok.

Thank for correcting. I am getting old...

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

If you don't hear from me again, I probably got banned, and if that's what this comes down to, then so be it. I have the utmost respect for the IPACS team, but their policy on forum moderation and total non-reply to my request about tagging mod-edited posts and then locking the thread has left a really rotten taste in my mouth.

I wouldn't assume they ban you for any such reasons. There is a forum member I won't name whose spam posts are regularly deleted but other relevant posts are kept and not banned.

Best Regards

Balazs

Ryzen 2700X, HyperX 32GB, 2060 Super 8GB, win10/ubuntu19

Saitek X52 HOTAS, Logitech G920 pedals

freetrack/opentrack
    X-Plane 11, DCS modules: A-10C, Ka-50, FC3, Mirage 2000C, F/A-18C, Persian Gulf

• Thank you gents for all your kind posts here, trying to finding easier solutions to make geoconvert more simple. I’m really happy to see here some motivated and talented people, and , with so many « pros » involved, I’m sure most users like me will be soon able to make that in a more attractive way. Thank you and keep on the good job !

BR from Switzerland, Herve