performance vr vs 2d

• Hey guys,

I've been enjoying Aerofly in VR a lot lately.

There is one question that came up when I switched to my monitor:

When playing on my 2560x1440 monitor I get fps that are constantly above 100 with everything maxed out in OrbX Innsbruck.

Playing in VR on my Oculus Rift my system has a hard time keeping 45fps (no supersampling). I usually have to disable trees and shadows to get at least 45fps.

To my understanding the resolution of the rift is lower (2160x1200) without supersampling than wqhd. Thus I would have expected to see similar frame rates in vr and on my monitor.

Are there any other differences between rendering in vr an 2d that I am not aware off or is it more likely a configuration error on my side?

My System:
    GPU: GTI 970

CPU: i5 4690k

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600

Beste regards

Peter

• Official Post

There is one major difference here. When running in VR mode the screen needs to render twice as opposed to once for a single monitor.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Peter, first make sure in VR SETTINGS you have "SHOW NATIVE VIEW ON MAIN MONITOR" = NO as YES will cost you performance.

Next, try these custom GRAPHICS SETTINGS - U, H, H, M, L, L - I get a very smooth 90 FPS around NYC using a GTX1080+Odyssey combo with supersampling @ 1.33 so your 970+Rift combo should be fairly smooth with these settings.

I think you also want LIMIT FRAME RATE (in Graphics Settings) = OFF.

See if any of this helps and report back.

• Peter, first make sure in VR SETTINGS you have "SHOW NATIVE VIEW ON MAIN MONITOR" = NO as YES will cost you performance.

Next, try these custom GRAPHICS SETTINGS - U, H, H, M, L, L - I get a very smooth 90 FPS around NYC using a GTX1080+Odyssey combo with supersampling @ 1.33 so your 970+Rift combo should be fairly smooth with these settings.

I think you also want LIMIT FRAME RATE (in Graphics Settings) = OFF.

See if any of this helps and report back.

One thing to remember is that the NYC scenery is a miracle of optimization, Innsbruck is a bit harder to get perfect smoothness with, and Chicago is hardest of all.

• There is one major difference here. When running in VR mode the screen needs to render twice as opposed to once for a single monitor.

I could be wrong on this but I think it gets rendered more than that as the spherical aberration has also to be put in to balance the distortion from the lenses. I find in most games the step from 2D to VR reduces framerate to about a third of what you start with. It's an indication of how efficient the graphics engine in AFS2 is that we get such good framerates in VR.

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals