Lukla in Aerofly FS2 - Preview

• Thanks Sascha, I think I'll give the King Air a spin tomorrow. Never tried it so far.

You've done an excellent job with that scenery which will give me many hours to enjoy. Thanks a lot for your ongoing support of AeroflyFS2.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• I can confirm it works for the Steam edition without ANY hassle. Downloaded it, clicked on the .exe file and it found the Aerofly Steam directory and completed the install without any intervention from me.

And WHAT a scenery it is!!!!! Incredible detail, superb frame rates and drumroll: the R22 is able to Hover in Ground Effect at the ramp at Lukla, and takeoff into the valley!!! You CAN also turn right towards Everest but forget any ambition to proceed to Base Camp or anything like that. There are a couple of helipads down in the valley though and a carefully planned approach can be carried out to a successful landing. If we now can get 2 things - a Twin Otter and a Squirrel - Aerofly FS2 will leave all other sims for dust in VR use. ANd as a boneus (for me) the latest version of NextLevel Platform manager, 2.87 has restored motion, kind-of... Only Pitch and roll, accelleration and deceleration doesnt have the telemetry update rates to work properly, but at least the chair now moves with the aircraft during flight. Overall, a good day in my sim-world!!!

Flying A330 as a day-job and enjoy VR-flying with PIMAX 5k+. NextLevelRacing v.3 Motion platform, Watercooled and overclocked i9-9900k, 32Gb 3600RAM, Samsung 970EVO Pro 2Tb m.2, nVidia RTX-2080Ti FE, Thrustmaster HOTAS, VKB pedals, Cockpitforyou motorised throttle quadrant, Precision Flight Controls Jetliner column

• We are trying to publish tThe Steam version of Aerosoft LUKLA in roughly 2-3 weeks. At the same time we will also update our DVD version to the same version as the STEAM version. Due to the large code changes, we want to do a good and thorough testing before we release it to everybody.

Please don't forget the version for Mac users.:/

Tschüss, Michael (🍎🚁)

Configurations:

- MacBook Pro (16", 2021); Chip: Apple M1 Max; actual macOS || Thrustmaster TCA AIRBUS EDITION: 1x Sidestick, 2x Quadrant, 2x Quadrant Add-On || Pro-Flight-Trainer PUMA X

- iPad (12,9", 4th Generation, RAM: 6 GB); actual iOS || nimbus steelseries

• Just need a helicopter to that can get up there now.

I have been flying that one on AFS2 last weekend - The call is on IPACS to release their first pay AS350B3. It is fully functional available, just not to us privately ;)

X-Plane 12.x | DCS 2.5.7 | War Thunder | Aerofly FS4

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

• Wait now I don't get it, I just bought it and it won't work with the Aerofly Steam edition???????????????????
    I think most of of have the steam edition???

Ben

A few questions for clarification

Where are your Orbx Sceneries installed?

Do your Orbx Sceneries work?

Did you move which folder into your Aerofly Steam structure?

My Documents\Aerofly FS 2\addons\scenery\aerosoft_lukla

If you move the BOLD folder into your Orbx add ons folder, it works. 100% sure!

Here is mind

\Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator AddOns\scenery\aerosoft_lukla

This works for me!

Win11-x64 | Lenovo Legion T7 34LMZ5 | Intel i7-10700K @3.6GHz | Kingston FuryX RGB 32GB DDR4 PC3733 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 3TB M2 PCI 4x | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti Vision OC | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Reverb G2 V2 | Lenovo Legion Y25g-30 360hz

• Sascha - quick feedback on the Scenery. I did a flight from VLNK to VNSB yesterday with the R22. I have the Everest 3D scenery from Frank Dainese for XP11. I must say, yours is much more immersive. It is a truly fantastic scenery!

• If you move your installation manually it could break any future update program for that scenery. So before updating you should probably move it back.

Jan. Never. I am not spending 8GB of my One drive for the sake of a wrong configured installer. No program, addon ever has to go in my Documents. Thats bad habit of devs to store program code there.

My Documents of for documents and not for program code. My Documents is synced. I am responsible for 90'000 employees. Hell no, i do not want anyone to store program code in my documents. Imagine what I would need to purchase for storage if this happens ...

Fix the installer to choose the appropriate path outside of My Documents

• I am not spending 8GB of my One drive for the sake of a wrong configured installer. No program, addon ever has to go in my Documents. Thats bad habit of devs to store program code there.

You can't blame this on the developer of Lukla: this is how IPACS has designed it! The installer is perfectly fine. JustFlight also installs its plane into that folder. So this is how it should be, at least according to IPACS. So Sasa did everything by the book. Afaik the folder is already created when you install AFS2: it isn't added by add on developers.

The company that does NOT do things by the book is Orbx: they create their very own folder inside the Steam folder for their scenery. I think that actually is bad habit.

I do agree however that people should have the option to install things where they want to...!

Back to Lukla: I'd also like to see a list of planes that you can use to fly anywhere in this scenery. The only planes I fly in AFS2 are the Q400 and sometimes the C172. I might use the freeware Piper Cub too. I don't feel like flying the other planes at all so if the mentioned three can't be used to get around Lukla I won't be getting it. No use in buying scenery I can't fly over with planes I like. ;)

I am a bit surprised by this, I have to say... seems so far the King Air C90 is the only plane you can use and that one can't even be used on ALL airports...? Why build scenery for a sim in which you can't really use that scenery...?

Edited 2 times, last by Jerryfly (June 7, 2019 at 9:04 AM).

• Martin, It certainly meant / documents from the AFS2 folder, not that of your own documents in C: \\?!;)

Best wishes 😉

Pascal

AFS2 / FS4 / MSFS / - Intel(R) Core i7 -12800HX 4.80 GHz - DDR5 4800MHz 32 Go - NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6X - 2x 2 TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4

• You can't blame this on the developer of Lukla: this is how IPACS has designed it! JustFlight also installs its plane into that folder. So this is how it should be, at least according to IPACS. So Sasa did everything by the book.

Thats BS, sorry. They are using the windows standard document storage as their addon repository. Thats not by the book. And a few other vendors did this too. Microsoft deliberately designed a folder structure for this. This is what you have to follow by the book.

\%USERPROFILE%\AppData, this is where worst case, user bound program data goes. ORBX does install there, their program data. This is by the book.

\%USERPROFILE%\Documents\ this is where user documents shall end up. This folder is synced with the cloud in a lot of cases, same for pictures, same for videos. Config files, OK, Logs OK. This should never contain program data.

There were some hefty discussions with certain other sim vendors that all of a sudden pushed to install there. Meanwhile this has ended up with changing the installers and leaving the config files there. And this saves storage on the user profile drives, keeps cloud sync rate low and does not mismatch locations.

IPACS or whoever, should stick to M$ design. Thats a very fundamental thing. Another fundamental thing is that the installer shall have a choice on where to install. This is not just related to AFS but to all. Not everyone has a C drive with all on it. Some do have more than one drive!

• Thats BS, sorry.

It's not BS that you should blame Sasa for this: you should blame IPACS because IPACS installs that folder into the Documents folder and apparently wants add ons to be installed into it. That everyone should stick to M$ design I fully agree with. And also that you should have a choice. All I was saying is that you can't blame Sasa for following IPACS guidelines. ;)

• The only planes I fly in AFS2 are the Q400 and sometimes the C172.

Well, challenge accepted!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

AS for the Q400... you can't even maneuver that on that tiny airport. But there are some other airports in the package that you can use it at (Tumlingar for example).

LimeSim Developer

Antarctica X, Mega Airport Berlin Brandenburg, FTX British Isles, FTX Germany, VFR Germany, German Airfields, Helgoland, LuklaX, US Cities X, Dutch Airports

• It's not BS that you should blame Sasa for this: you should blame IPACS because IPACS installs that folder into the Documents folder and apparently wants add ons to be installed into it. That everyone should stick to M$ design I fully agree with. And also that you should have a choice. All I was saying is that you can't blame Sasa for following IPACS guidelines. ;)

I did not blame Sascha directly. I said "the devs" and it was very much referring to any developer, including IPACS ;)

• I did not blame Sascha directly. I said "the devs" and it was very much referring to any developer, including IPACS ;)

The installation folder discussion arises with about every 3rd party release.

Why not create a new thread for it and bring it to discussion? This may shed some light on things and creates a location where this very topic (philosophies, books to go by, reasons by IPACS, ways to bypass this limitation...) can be discussed in length. :)

Bests,

Sascha

LimeSim Developer

Antarctica X, Mega Airport Berlin Brandenburg, FTX British Isles, FTX Germany, VFR Germany, German Airfields, Helgoland, LuklaX, US Cities X, Dutch Airports

• On another aspect. Doesn't Aerosoft have a Twin Otter for FSX/P3D in their product range? As far as I read, this would be an appropriate fit for Lucka, thus an AeroflyFS2 version might sell well.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Official Post

We have a user folder in the documents directory that is indented to store all user made aircraft and scenery. Those are documents that you created and that are not part of aerofly and are not "appdata", they are user documents. None of the aerofly program files are located in the users documents folder, only the saved user settings, joystick assignments etc. So we actually have a pretty clean solution here, aerofly stuff in its installation path, all of your own stuff in your documents.

We offer the option of a second user folder that can be set in the extra_user_folder entry in the main.mcf file for those that have their main storage on another hard drive. This allows you to move the large sceneries from user folder somewhere else.

Steam products like DLCs are installed automatically and therefore belong inside the steam directory and the directories are also pretty well organized. None of the additional content is installed in the root aerofly directory.

Any other third party products or stuff that you download made by other users kind of have to use the user documents folder at the moment but they could still ask to install it in a custom directory like the extra user folder. And since that path is up to you there is no limitation on where you install your sceneries.

Keep in mind that this approach works on all of our supported platforms so just following what Microsoft does (e.g. with the hidden appdata folders not intended to be seen by the average user) won't get it working on Mac, iOS Android or Linux.

• aircraft and scenery.

Thats is content which should not be there either, if I have to precise myself when talking about "program code" ;)