Fun things to try in Aerofly

• Official Post

Landing the F18 in Monument Valley, runway 34. It's pretty easy if it weren't for that large mountain on short final. You have several choices: make a right turn to final, low level close to the ground at very low speed and try and make the center line or fly over top the mountain, dive down, loose all energy in a long and high g flare, try to make the threshold without tailstrike, without bounce or hard touch down.

Here is one attempt that didn't end in a crash:

610ft/min touch down rate, that is not too bad. And I touched down before the taxiway there

And this is the sort of approach I'm doing over the mountain. Pushing forward before I reach the edge :D

This flare was almost perfect but I floated at like three inches for quite some time :D

After the hard flare you definitely need to push the nose down again otherwise your wings are creating too much lift and you float.

So the right procedure here would be: pull hard, push to break the flare which also causes the sinkrate to go down a little bit since you are creating an up force on the elevators. That means if you push your sinkrate will be less, which is quite opposite of what you normally do...

• Landing the F18 in Monument Valley, runway 34. It's pretty easy if it weren't for that large mountain on short final. You have several choices: make a right turn to final, low level close to the ground at very low speed and try and make the center line or fly over top the mountain, dive down, loose all energy in a long and high g flare, try to make the threshold without tailstrike, without bounce or hard touch down.

Well, ok for the joke. IRL there's only 1 landing QFU in Monument Valley : that's runway 16, whatever the wind.

As well, takeoff is only on runway 34, even with tail wind...

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• With the new Florida DLC out, I got this idea but haven't tried it yet ...

OBJECTIVE: take-off and land at all 9 new airports in the shortest time possible

RULES

- Stopwatch = airport#1 (wheels rolling) to airport#9 (full stop)

- each landing/take-off at airports 2-8 require you to land - turnaround - and take-off in the opposite direction (land on 19, take-off on 01) - tricky!

Post your name / best time / aircraft / route