Cultivation is great for adding houses but the large flat boxes for a central business district just doesn't blow my skirt up. Check this out.

• I almost know enough about cultivation to get into trouble but usually the delete key gets me out of trouble.

I added the standard cultivation to the city of New Orleans using Rodeo's tutorial, as is, and got some pretty large boxes for the downtown central business district. Although the houses on the outskirts adds to the 3d effect, the big flat boxes seems to take away from the look. Being lazy, I thought - what if I added a 'ready built city scape' with some multi-story buildings ontop of the flat cultivation buildings. OK, that was easy enough but now it looks overcrowded, so I removed the cultivation, and kept the city scape. Other than a few buildings ending up in the river here and there, it gives the city a totally new look when flying into Louis Armstrong Intl. Runway 26 approach is directly over the Mercedes Benz super dome which is ground zero for New Orleans. Now I need to do some begging and get one of you Sketch artists to send me a ready made Super Dome to plunk into the picture. I can handle a tmb file, but that is about my technical limit for adding custom objects.

Here is what it look like on final in the Lear 45.

Original FSET scenery, no enhancements.

aerofly.com/community/index.php?attachment/8674/

Standard cultivation added.

Throw down 'standard city scape' added.

Cultivation removed, city scape retained.

The good news is that all this work takes very little time or effort and the impact is outstanding when compared to pixel soup or even basic FSET scenery. I think I will spend the afternoon adding 'city scapes' to some of our few large cities in my neighborhood. Memphis might be the best target for adding a downtown area. How about Birmingham, Atlanta? yeah. See you later.

Regards,

Ray

• More.

Maybe selective removal of a few buildings would be a good balance. Can that be done? Remove just a handful of the really large boxes? From a distance it sure is a big improvement. This is with both cultivation toc and city scape active.

Regards,

Ray

• Official Post

Maybe selective removal of a few buildings would be a good balance. Can that be done?

Yes, you can use Google Earth Pro to add 'exemption' polygons. Just create a group, name it 'exclude' add polygons of the areas that you don't want to see cultivated buildings to the group, and export it as a .KML file. Then use an application like ScenProc to build your area.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Yes, you can use Google Earth Pro to add 'exemption' polygons. Just create a group, name it 'exclude' add polygons of the areas that you don't want to see cultivated buildings to the group, and export it as a .KML file. Then use an application like ScenProc to build your area.

Of course, thanks Jeff. Just like excluding an airport in the tutorial, just draw an area that includes the building, make the kml file and add the exclude lines in the ScenProc run. Good deal.

Regards,

Ray

• I think Memphis looks much better with a central business district than New Orleans. Whata you think?

This is climbing out from the small airport in North Memphis - General Dewitt Spain. Memphis Intl is at 11 o'clock.

Regards,

Ray

• Official Post

I think it looks a bit better. In this case less is more :)

And yes to your question. Since in Google Earth you can only add one polygon we tested the idea of grouping more than one and then naming the group 'exclude' rather than the polygon itself and it works just fine. Now with this you can exclude as many areas as you like and have more control.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• I added the standard cultivation to the city of New Orleans using Rodeo's tutorial, as is, and got some pretty large boxes for the downtown central business district. Although the houses on the outskirts adds to the 3d effect, the big flat boxes seems to take away from the look. Being lazy, I thought - what if I added a 'ready built city scape' with some multi-story buildings ontop of the flat cultivation buildings.

Hi,

may I ask you where you got the 'ready built city scape' with the high-rise buldings from and how did you add them? They certainly add a lot to the overall impression. As far as I observed, there are only gabled-roof houses and industrial buildings publicly available which Rodeo's script tries to properly fit.

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Hi,

may I ask you where you got the 'ready built city scape' with the high-rise buldings from and how did you add them? They certainly add a lot to the overall impression. As far as I observed, there are only gabled-roof houses and industrial buildings publicly available which Rodeo's script tries to properly fit.

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

Michael,

see PM.

Regards,

Ray

• Hi Ray,

another idea for removing separate buildings from cultivation is to use JOSM.

You probably have downloaded an OSM file for your cultivation.
    You can open this file with JOSM, identify the building footprints which you already have in your city model and delete them.

Afterwards run your scenProc process to create the cultivation buildings.

• Thanks Rodeo,

It is good that we have options. Some of the calculated building footprints are huge. I guess they are actually a few real world structures combined.

The city scape sure is a fine improvement. I wish we had several to choose from.

Regards,

Ray