Oculus Rift Gen 2 - half dome

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• Hmmmm... Not too impressive. I was hoping for more actually. 140* filed view is good, but still not great. I figured they would shoot for 200 as seeing the Pi Max 8K (I know, not true 8K), is going to have 200*. Hand tracking. Nothing big there. Leap motion integration. I have Leap Motion, and it is pretty well refined. Picks up every finger. There is a lack of support for it in games however. Verifocal, cool idea, but now you have a mechanical parts that can bind and cause issues. Eye tracking would have been a better option I think. No word on resolution or Screen Door Effect. Those are a must for any future version.

I am cautiously optimistic about the Pi Max 8K. I hope they can pull off everything they promised. If so, it will be hard to beat.

• Not impressed at all, specially because the larger VOF results in the resolution/SDE looking almost the same. I personally won't look at a new VR device until 1. it has a resolution that's comparable with my 2D screen and 2. I have a computer that can produce that many pixels without problems. Both won't be happening anytime soon, I think. (I also wonder if there actually are computers that can feed those Pi Max devices sufficiently.) And btw those moving parts... that doesn't look too good. More pieces that can break down, a thing that moves on your head all the time... For now I will stick with my Rift which I do use 2 to 3 times a year. ;)

• I spend a few hours a day on my Rift for flying and other games. I like the view. I just wish it was wireless.

Wow! Totally off topic, sorry, but I suppose this doesn't give you any problems like feeling odd or dizzy or having headaches? I myself get into various problems when I use the Rift for longer periods and I wonder if this has to do with the resolution or something or if it's just me. I know there are people who can't play videogames because of the colors and moving things: I don't really have that but maybe I do have that with VR.

• Not impressed at all, specially because the larger VOF results in the resolution/SDE looking almost the same. I personally won't look at a new VR device until 1. it has a resolution that's comparable with my 2D screen and 2. I have a computer that can produce that many pixels without problems. Both won't be happening anytime soon, I think. (I also wonder if there actually are computers that can feed those Pi Max devices sufficiently.) And btw those moving parts... that doesn't look too good. More pieces that can break down, a thing that moves on your head all the time... For now I will stick with my Rift which I do use 2 to 3 times a year. ;)

You are rarely impressed with anything.

• I am extremely impressed by the Majestic Q400, Active Sky, the A2A Comanche. I am impressed by REX Sky Force, PROATC, Ultimate Traffic Live, TrueEarth Netherlands, the promise of Aerofly FS 2... And that's just mentioning flightsim related stuff. ;)

My problem is I am mainly vocal about things that aren't as good as they could or should be. ;)