Dash 8 beeping during take off

• Due to lack of time I recently started to fly the more easy way in Aerofly FS 2 and position my plane on the runway instead of on a parking spot. This not only saves taxi time but it also saves setting up the plane. Sometimes the preset states depending on where you are, are a blessing. ;)

However, when I fly the Das8 I almost always I get random beeping during take off which ends only after I rotate. Now I do turn off the engine intakes, and I do turn on recirc and bleeds (at min) but that should be possible. (It's how I always take off in the Majestic Dash 8.)

Anyone knows what causes the beeping and how to prevent it...? I tried various combinations (of engine intakes, recirc and bleeds) and everything results in a beep apart from the default take off state. Now I might leave things as they are ;) but it feels a bit odd to me to take off with recirc off and engine intakes open. I don't want to spoil good habits. ;)

• Official Post

That beeping is the takeoff warning which triggers if the nose gear steering is deflected too much or when flaps are not set for takeoff. Check that you don't have the same joystick axis assigned for the rudder and the tiller or if you have them separately keep the tiller neutral.

If you remove the tiller assignment from the controls Aerofly calculates a tiller command from your rudder (or aileron if no rudder assigned either)... that tiller command fades out if you get faster and you can add full rudder without the tiller being deflected and causing the takeoff warning sound.

The bleeds or the recirc fan don't cause any beeping sounds, they only affect the engine rating and max power output of the engines but there is no warning for that other than the orange "BLEED" on the displays and of course a lower maximum torque

Regards,

Jan

• Thanks for the quick reply, Jan! It's the tiller indeed!

It's a bit odd though... I do have a Logitech Extreme 3D joystick and had the tiller assigned to its 'twist rudder'. With the tiller assigned I get a beep almost as soon as I touch the joystick (after giving full take off power): the rudder twist axis seems to be very sensitive. The odd thing is that I can move the tiller even at higher speeds (during take off) while, as you say, the command should fade out as you get faster! I can move the tiller and get a beep all the way up to rotate!

Another odd thing: when I delete the tiller axis on the control menu, I can still use the twist rudder for the tiller...! So the tiller handle in the Q400 still moves when I use the rudder twist of the joystick! However, now it DOES stop moving (and beeping) when speed is going up (as it should), roughly around 35 kts already. Drawback here is that the rudder now also beeps below 35 kts (because it is also simulating the tiller because it doesn't have an axis assigned). (This sounds complicated LOL...)

Seems the best solution for me is to not assign an axis to the tiller and to not touch the joystick (and rudder) until speed is above 35 (which is pretty soon) and the tiller (also the tiller function of the rudder) is being deactivated. Just gave it a few tries and this results in no beeping anymore. Well, maybe a beep or two at the very start but at least not during the rest of the take off. ;)