ORBX Sylvain Saanen is out !!!

• I know it is free but the default Gstaad airport (in fact there is no Saanen airport anymore, the name changed some time ago) which comes with the Switzerland DLC is already quite nicely done, especially the houses around the airport and of the village Saanen are very beautiful and more typical than what you get with this download. Check the roofs, they are larger than the house they cover. Also most of the airport buildings are there. I think there was no absolute need to do this airfield.

Saanen deafult

Saanen ORBX

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• The need was for a developer to familiarize himself with the available tools/software for creating scenery. The choice of location could have been otherwise, but.... No harm, no foul.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Anyone else having issues installing this file? I added it to my account, logged in to FTX Central, and have tried twice to download it. Each time it gets to around 52MB download, (after an hour), then the timer says one second remaining to complete, and it stays there ad infinitum. Don't want to report it to ORBX yet, would rather see if anyone else has the same problem first. I will also try again after midnight when one would assume bandwidth use is less. Never had issues with FTX Central before, either in AFS2 or FSX.

- Kenneth

• Anyone else having issues installing this file? I added it to my account, logged in to FTX Central, and have tried twice to download it. Each time it gets to around 52MB download, (after an hour), then the timer says one second remaining to complete, and it stays there ad infinitum. Don't want to report it to ORBX yet, would rather see if anyone else has the same problem first. I will also try again after midnight when one would assume bandwidth use is less. Never had issues with FTX Central before, either in AFS2 or FSX.

- Kenneth

No issues with the FTX Central download and install. It only takes a few minutes.

Regards,

Rau

• Downloaded... No idea why the challenge. Now to have a look. Thanks Ray for the feedback.

- Kenneth

it’s a bummer when these new gismos only work correctly 99.9994 % of the time. 😏

• Nice to see Sanaan released - Congrats! I truly appreciate and thank Sylvain for his endeavors.

I find myself hesitant to use this over the default as I agree with TomB that the surrounding buildings have lost some of their quaint Swiss feel and 3D detail, especially the rooftop/dimensional features - that alone is a big deal for me. Also, the slopping runway is not there in this release and I really liked that and enjoyed bouncing my way in for a landing - I think it should have been included. Despite some obvious missing features and defects, the default still has a lot going for it. Kudos to IPACS for the quality of their work initially, it was really well done and shows the quality of the default world they are building.

This airport project got me wondering a bit about the stated Orbx cultivation project to cover all of Switzerland in cultivation. Should the buildings in that product end up being simple boxes with region specific textures like what we see here, I am not so sure I would install that, despite nice accurate placement. 3D objects for the sake of 3D objects can look cheesy - to me this would not necessarily be a step forward other than to say "yeah buildings". I am hoping for continued evolution of the quality of cultivated buildings in AFS2 - I see that as an area where AFS2 could leap ahead of other sims without loss of performance. Perhaps IPACS is involved and we will see an upgrade in xref objects (whatever the library is called) or maybe building footprints will become more complex with say TrueEarth Netherlands for AFS2........then again maybe I am looking for too much given the current evolution of our sim.

• Agree with you: Sylvain has done a very very nice job, and the airport is really immersive, with the typical alpine feeling.

But yes, it is annoying to loose the sloped original runway, as well as the fantastic chalets houses of Saanen town, and just to have the basic cultivation houses (with new textures), but far from the IPACS Saanen houses quality.

Jeff, could we except some kind of intergration/mix of both sceneries ?

But once again, I want to salute and pay hommage to the very very good job of our friend Sylvain :)