Question about Cumulus density

• Which is why I have the clouds disabled and only use some cirrus. The clouds also hurt performance (gives me stutters) which is another reason to fly on sunny days only. ;) And don't expect a revision of the weather engine and hence the clouds anytime soon: it is not yet on the to do list from IPACS, only on the wish list.

• For me the clouds and the inability to make realistic layers are the biggest limitation of FS 2, except for the lack of fuel use. I still feel like I HAVE to use clouds sometimes just for some variety while flying. They don't degrade my FPS as much as they seem to for some people.

I wish they had prioritized clouds more highly on their to-do list, but it is what it is.

• Hi guys,

I realized that AFS2 only draws clouds in about a 5 mile area around me. I cant find any settings to extend that so that clouds further away are drawn.

Is this how it is, or can we change it?

Cheers

Dan

Oldar gave me the idea some time ago to reduce your visibility down, which can give you a similar effect to flying through overcast cloud. Worth trying.

• Stratus would be a more authentic choice for good bad weather flying. It would allow a realistic break out of the murk in an instrument approach and would look good overlying high ground. Cumulus tufts lying over a wide area, hard on the deck looks wierd, it would need some sort of downwind plateau crossing without updraught (!) scenario to be remotely plausible. Perhaps cumulus was chosen as a pretty sales-friendly stills photo feature?

• Please keep in mind that the current clouds are only placeholders but it still might be a while before we tackle clouds.

The reason they turn with your movement is so that they always face your view since they are only billboards right now and not volumetric.

We all agree here that the clouds are problematic but unfortunately since we don't own the code for them we can't do too much with them right now, so we have to live with them..

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• I understand that clouds are a difficult problem to solve in order to keep a powerful simulator. It's a choice. But I would like to say: what does an aviator see? clouds before all the rest ... before bending down to look down. The clouds are to the aviator what the boats are to the sea. Or the pizza to Italy! Good, aside from that, I want to thank the team for their excellent work, I enjoy every day in vr on this sim aeroflyfs2 and looks forward to other sets. I tried also to create my own sceneries (in France) but I'm not able to, it seems very complicated..Before i used fsx and france vfr so I'm a little tired of bidouiller the sim..I prefer to wait addon dlc from your ipacs team ...

• But I would like to say: what does an aviator see? clouds before all the rest ... before bending down to look down. The clouds are to the aviator what the boats are to the sea. Or the pizza to Italy!

Amen. Although I always say 'weather' where you say 'clouds'. ;)