AeroScenery Beta - Help With Testing Required

• A few question while the tile is being downloaded:

1. Can more than one tile be selected?

2. How can I get some 3D objects in that area? Do I have to do some cultivation work (I read about this but I'm not familiar with the process)

3.Suggestion: Could be cool to have the option to download also through the process, the airports in the area, through FSCloudPort.

Another Question through the process. The instructions said:

Now to run Geoconvert

11) Deselect "Download Image Tiles" and "Stitch Image Tiles" and select "Generate AID / TMC Files" and "Run Geoconvert"

12) Click Start

But in the version 4 I see that the Geoconvert tool opens automatically and start doing some tasks. Is the process from point 11 and 12 already done automatically?

Edited once, last by GameAddict (July 1, 2018 at 1:12 PM).

• 1) Yes, just click to select each one, double click to deselect. At the moment, multiple GeoCovert instances will be opened because GeoConvert doesn't close automatically when finished. That's not ideal in terms of using up system memory. I'm hoping to figure out a workaround for this.

2) You'd need to look at cultivation, yes. I don't now much about that myself yet, but I would like to integrate it into AeroScenery eventually

3) I think integration with FSCloudPort would be great. One for Spit40 to consider

4) You possibly didn't select "Choose Which Actions to Run" and just let it run the default actions, which will do a GeoConvert run.

From what others have said, the scenery might be misaligned to the elevation data. (This is pre-release software :))

If that is the case, hang on to the images that you've spent time downloading. A future version will work if this one doesn't.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• Hi Nick,

I tried v0.4 with these parameters:

The memory, which normally shows 13 GB free, got smaller and smaller. When it reached 450 MB free, Geoconvert crashed.

Please see the Geoconvert log attached.

I do not want the stiched areas beeing too small, as otherwise I can not edit them anymore (too many files).

Can you please let me limit the amount of files you send to geoconvert?

8 of them normally do not make a problem.

Seconds before the crash:

Cheers,

Thomas

• Hi Tom,

Thanks for testing and attaching the log. Unfortunately nothing in the log so this is a hard crash. Pretty frustrating.

See my earlier post for why it's not easy to just send a few files to GeoConvert. Plus GeoConvert doesn't actually exit, I've got to figure out some why of knowing when its done, then kill the process. Every thing can be hacked around, it's just a case of time.

I've now tested AeroScenery and GeoConvert a lot and I can't reproduce it crashing. Even tried a level 15 run with 1000s of tiles. It soon used up all 16gb but didn't crash.

Only things I can suggest at this stage are:

1) Do a MemTest86. A bad stick of RAM would cause what you're experiencing

2) Update your NVidia drivers

3) Try a clean boot and then running GeoConvert manually against the tmc file in the stitched images folder

4) Post in the pinned "Having trouble with GeoConvert" thread, see if IPACS have any response.

Might be one or two weeks before I have a chance to code up something that can run GeoConvert in small batches.

• Not a good result unfortunately. Textures misplaced upon the topography. I tried to do the Inverness, Scotland area. Loch Ness is on the mountaintops instead of in the valley. Too tired to try again tonight, will give it another go tomorrow and see what happens. I tried four tiles, might just do one instead. Thanks for your efforts.

Quick update. I had a chance to create some scenery for the Bristol area of the UK and fly around today.

I think AeroScenery is working fine and the issue is the low resolution terrain map for areas that don't have scenery.

Looks like terrain generation is a higher priority than I thought.

You can already do this manually (although seems pretty time consuming). See the other thread in this forum on the subject.

• Quick update. I had a chance to create some scenery for the Bristol area of the UK and fly around today.

I think AeroScenery is working fine and the issue is the low resolution terrain map for areas that don't have scenery.

Looks like terrain generation is a higher priority than I thought.

You can already do this manually (although seems pretty time consuming). See the other thread in this forum on the subject.

Thank you... I will also do some more testing.

• Hi Nichod, thank you very much for your great tool and thank you for the many efforts.

I just downloaded it but have not used it yet.
    I have a question about that:

Can I use AeroScenery to create AFS2 scenery from files I used to download with FSET?

That means I downloaded half a year ago with FSET, "Area_L * .bmp-files" from FSEarth (area about 80x80 km), but not edited with "Geoconvert".
    I now have these files in a folder on an external hard drive.

If I could handle these files with "AeroScenery", how should I proceed?

Thanks for an answer.

Regards, Jakob.

• That means I downloaded half a year ago with FSET, "Area_L * .bmp-files" from FSEarth (area about 80x80 km), but not edited with "Geoconvert".

I now have these files in a folder on an external hard drive.

If I could handle these files with "AeroScenery", how should I proceed?

Why not simply geoconverting them? You just open the INF files (with Notepad or Notepadd++), you copy and paste the needed values into your AID files, you edit the TMC accordingly and launch...

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Can I use AeroScenery to create AFS2 scenery from files I used to download with FSET?

No, unfortunately not. I save an "aero" file of metadata with each tile AeroScenery downloads or creates. It needs those to process things.

An 80 x 80km area shouldn't take too long to re-download with AeroScenery if you have a reasonable internet connection, even at zoom level 18.

• Why not simply geoconverting them? You just open the INF files (with Notepad or Notepadd++), you copy and paste the needed values into your AID files, you edit the TMC accordingly and launch...

Cheers

Antoine

Thank you Antoine for the quick answer.

At that time I had tried to convert several smaller areas (about 30x40 km around the airfields) with "GeoConvertHelper" and then add adjoining areas to it. Unfortunately there were always black areas in between. I did not like that, that's why I stopped it.

As you describe it sounds simple, but I still do not know myself.
    I have a large number of "Area_L * .bmp files". Editing all "INF files" by hand will certainly take a long time.

That's why I thought "AeroScenery" could help me.

Jakob

• No, unfortunately not. I save an "aero" file of metadata with each tile AeroScenery downloads or creates. It needs those to process things.

An 80 x 80km area shouldn't take too long to re-download with AeroScenery if you have a reasonable internet connection, even at zoom level 18.

Thank you Nichod for the quick answer.

I understood why my project with "AeroScenery" can not work.
    But it sounds promising to be able to download a larger area in a short time. I'll try that and report on the success here.

How big can an area in one piece (I mean in km x km) selected in "AeroScenery" be downloaded and converted?

Thank you

Jakob

• How big can an area in one piece (I mean in km x km) selected in "AeroScenery" be downloaded and converted?

AeroScenery works on the size of AFS grid squares for ease of use.

Currently you can select level 9 squares, which is around 40km . The next version, 0.5, will allow smaller tiles to be selected for getting very detailed images of airports for instance.

You can select as many of these tiles as you like for one "run" though, so as big an area as you need.

• AeroScenery works on the size of AFS grid squares for ease of use.

Currently you can select level 9 squares, which is around 40km . The next version, 0.5, will allow smaller tiles to be selected for getting very detailed images of airports for instance.

You can select as many of these tiles as you like for one "run" though, so as big an area as you need.

Thank you Nichod,

AeroScenery is getting better and better. I'm looking forward to the future possibilities of this tool.

Jakob

• At that time I had tried to convert several smaller areas (about 30x40 km around the airfields) with "GeoConvertHelper" and then add adjoining areas to it. Unfortunately there were always black areas in between. I did not like that, that's why I stopped it.

I have a large number of "Area_L * .bmp files". Editing all "INF files" by hand will certainly take a long time.

Same experience. Downloaded a number of areas for about a year ago. But there was too much trouble with black areas and so on. After a year's break - I'm now trying the new exciting tool AeroScenery.

AeroScenery works on the size of AFS grid squares for ease of use.

Thank you for that info. Then I will wait for version 0.5.

I just tested version 0.4 - and it worked very well - so far. Thank you so much. :)

(I hope you get control of the masks (the black areas)).

Jakob

Hi Jakob,

No need to do it manually, there is a tool to do batch conversions of many .inf to .tfw and Geoconvert create automatically .aid file from .tfw file. -> inf2tfwConverter

Look at tutorial here on the wiki: https://www.aerofly.com/dokuwiki/doku.…cenery_creation

• Hi Jakob,

No need to do it manually, there is a tool to do batch conversions of many .inf to .tfw and Geoconvert create automatically .aid file from .tfw file. -> inf2tfwConverter

Look at tutorial here on the wiki: https://www.aerofly.com/dokuwiki/doku.…cenery_creation

Thank you vogel69,

for the hint and the link. I will read the document about "Scenery Creation" even more closely.

My problem is not creating scenery in one piece, I can handle it.
    My problem is, when I insert an adjoining scenery, black lines or black areas appear between the two surfaces. That is my problem and I do not have a solution yet.

Jakob

• Hello Nick,

Last night I tried "AeroScenery" for the first time.

As you can see, it is fairly high.

About two hours later it says:

So I want to do some more testing with lower settings and see what's coming out :).

Edited once, last by Jak61 (July 4, 2018 at 11:12 AM).

• About two hours later it says:

Hi Jak,

Sorry you're having issues. It might be because you have two grid squares selected in one run. It should be supported but I've not done enough testing of that scenario.

In the folder that you're running AeroScenery from you'll see a file called aeroscenery.log. Could you rename it aeroscenery.txt and attach it here. I'll take a look what's going wrong (and I can paste the German into Google translate!)

If you try it again, please try with just one grid square selected at a time for now.