AeroScenery Beta - Help With Testing Required

• Hello Nick,

I am running your 0.4 beta for the first time. I have a few questions that may already have answers posted but I missed them.

1. Can you explain the Zoom level? does this determine the downloaded scenery resolution?

2. What are my choices, and where I choose them, for download resolution. i.e. 2m/pix, 1m/pix, 0.5m/pix? Is this the slider?

3. Is the blue square selection a fixed size? I see it is defaulted to level 9 - large

The interface looks great and should be very easy to use, which is what we have been needing since day one. Thanks for all this creative work. I am really looking forward to seeing this work with the USGS which has a lot of potential for sharing our work.

Regards,

Ray

• Ray, for questions 1 & 2, I believe Zoom = scenery resolution. I think zoom 17 = 1m/pix Google resolution but Nick will have to confirm.

For question 3, it is fixed at level 9 size for 0.4 version but Nick plans to make it adjustable in a future version. If you happen to click more than 1 square, it will download those too - not sure how to unclick a square - may just have to restart the program to clear out unwanted squares.

• If you happen to click more than 1 square, it will download those too - not sure how to unclick a square - may just have to restart the program to clear out unwanted squares.

Yes, I realized I could not remove the first square I had finished. When I added a new square - the first square was also downloaded again. Now I can not start the program at all. The program file (exe) can not boot. I dont know why. Choose to wait for version 0.5. :thumbup:

• Ray, for questions 1 & 2, I believe Zoom = scenery resolution. I think zoom 17 = 1m/pix Google resolution but Nick will have to confirm.

For question 3, it is fixed at level 9 size for 0.4 version but Nick plans to make it adjustable in a future version. If you happen to click more than 1 square, it will download those too - not sure how to unclick a square - may just have to restart the program to clear out unwanted squares.

Ken

Thanks for the info. I ran some comparisons with FSET and it appears to me the Nick's level 17 is almost spot on download level 2 (2m/pix) with 16640 tiles using 4 areas at my lat lon. When I move to dl 1 FSET moves to 66300 tiles in 12 areas. I assume that will be level 18 but haven't verified that just yet. I don't have an exact measurement of Nick's level 9 square but it is very close to 35 nm x 35 nm N32 W90.

I am eager to see Nick capture the USGS scenery in a similar method. That would be outstanding for sharing our scenery.

Regards,

Ray

Double click a square to remove it.

Regards,

Ray

Nick,

Using 0.4 beta. I made one square level 17 at AFS2 levels 9, 11, 12, 13, and 14 and it worked just fine. I then attempted 4 adjacent squares at the same level and AeroScenery made it up to the start of 'Run GeoConvert' and choked. I rebooted and attempted to run it again with only the Run GeoConvert checked but it choked after 4 total ttc files.

Regards,

Ray

How do you select a small area? Just an airport for instance - maybe 5 nm x 5 nm. I wouldn't want to run a Zoom Level 18/AFS2 level 15 for an entire square but, I would like to see how it handles a small concentrated area.

Regards,

Ray

• v0.4 won't open. I've had it working before, tried a few scenery converts and failed due to wrong zoom levels etc. Deleted all folders and downloaded fresh v0.4 to start from scratch. I click the Aeroscenery with the .exe and it doesn't start. I've moved v0.4 to different Drives and even Ran As Administrator. Nothing. No Firewall warnings. Anyone else?

• Ray, i think version 0.4 only works for 1 square at a time and the square is a fixed size. The next version is supposed to allow smaller squares to be selected for airports, etc.

OK thanks. I'll wait longer before testing.

Ray

• v0.4 won't open. I've had it working before, tried a few scenery converts and failed due to wrong zoom levels etc. Deleted all folders and downloaded fresh v0.4 to start from scratch. I click the Aeroscenery with the .exe and it doesn't start. I've moved v0.4 to different Drives and even Ran As Administrator. Nothing. No Firewall warnings. Anyone else?

Exactly the same problem. I've tried on 3 computers with win10 pro.

Maybe the v0.5 will soluce this problem.

• v0.4 won't open. I've had it working before, [...] Deleted all folders and downloaded fresh v0.4 to start from scratch. I click the Aeroscenery with the .exe and it doesn't start. I've moved v0.4 to different Drives and even Ran As Administrator. Nothing. No Firewall warnings.

Same experience. Could there be anything that changes in the Registry? What could prevent this exe file from running? Maybe I'll try another computer.

Yep. Look in Event Viewer for the cause. Posted bug to GitHub last night

• In response to the other few posts that are on the same theme ( @pkaser  Sauracy) and anyone else reading this later:

I'm very much hoping that IPACS will implement a tweak to GeoConvert so that I know when it's finished and I can ask what the user wants to do with the generated files.

Until then, click the grid square you downloaded in the map, click "Open Image Folder" in the toolbar, browse into the folder structure and find a folder ending in "-ttc". These files then need to go into your Aerofly scenery folder or user folder (as others have detailed above).

yeah, same issue with bat file. I have to come hit esc when it's done so the next line will run in the batch file. It sucks. And there doesn't seem to be a /quiet switch.

• If you already installed a former version of AeroScenery, then it might be needed to delete this (folder) key, which was helpful in my installation:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AeroScenery

Be sure to first backup your registry!

It's ok now. Thx !

• If you already installed a former version of AeroScenery, then it might be needed to delete this (folder) key, which was helpful in my installation:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AeroScenery

Be sure to first backup your registry!

Thank you very much! That was the trick!

• Yes, I realized I could not remove the first square I had finished. When I added a new square - the first square was also downloaded again. Now I can not start the program at all. The program file (exe) can not boot. I dont know why. Choose to wait for version 0.5. :thumbup:

If AeroScenery tries to re-download a previous square (that stays yellow) - try closing the program and restarting it. Afterward, I could download a new square by itself.

Also the regedit fix works when the program won't run anymore.

• Its the AFSLevelsToGenerate key is empty. Set it to 9 in the registry and the program works again in my case

• I believe Zoom = scenery resolution. I think zoom 17 = 1m/pix Google resolution but Nick will have to confirm.

Regarding the levels and zoom, I found the following in the GeoConvert Readme file...

" For aerial images to appear at larger distances and to keep texture usage low,

Aerofly FS 2 uses textures with a varying coverage. At the base the whole earth

is covered by a single texture, we call that level 0. As a next step the whole

earth is covered by 2x2 level 1 textures, then 4x4 level 2 textures and so on.

Its recommended that your aerial images are converted to level 9, 11, 12, 13 and

14 to give a good coverage. Level 14 is roughly 1m per pixel."

I have completed my first square, but have not had time to test it. This thing took a whopping 30 HOURS to compile 1 square at AFS2 levels 9,10,11,12,13,14 !!!! Kazowa!

I am thinking that because I choose a square that contains mostly water (Click on Hilton Head Island to see the square ..N32 W81) and I selected the option to create masks is the reason? I'm hoping all those masks slowed it way down? I hope so anyways. Next is the square immediately to the left. Hopefully it will be faster.

• I would expect 3 hours to be more normal for a square downloaded at level 17 (2m/pix) and processed at 9 -14. Level 18 would be ideal as it is 1m/pix but will also take longer for the level 13 and 14 processing.

Regards,

Ray

• I can do one square at a rate of 1 square @ level 17 in Aeroscenery, geoconverting from 9-14 in 3 hours and 25 minutes.