AeroScenery Beta - Help With Testing Required

• Unfortunately better source quality doesn't translate into better images in FS2. Also doesn't USGS map data just cover the USA? Their terrain data is USA only. There's a whole rest of the planet out there, even if some of us are standing upside down. ^^

All your points were stated on my posts.

1. USGS scenery is far superior to free Google and Bing. 2. IPACS may reduce end quality when flying in FS2, but not necessarily. 3. USA only but may include Territories. 4. Users can freely share scenery worldwide when source is included.

Many areas have super high resolution available for airports areas, for instance. This might look great even standing on your head. 😳

Regards,

Ray

• It's a pleasure to use AeroScenery - which is a big step forward. :thumbup:

About a year ago I used GeoConvert/FSET and the files were downloaded and saved as bmp. I could then edit the bmp files in Photoshop before converting to Aerofly FS2 ttc files.

AeroScenery download and save files in png format. Then I get a problem. When I try to open png files in Photoshop, I get the following error message: "file-format module cannot parse the file."

Is there anything special about this (AeroScenery) png file?

Nick. Will it be possible to download and save as bmp files in a later update?

Edit:

I can open the png files in the "16-geoconvert-raw" folder.

But not the png files in the "16-stitched" folder - which I understand is those files that are converters to ttc files.

Edit 2:

I downscaled "compatibility mode" (Photoshop.exe) - and then I can edit PNG files. Good. :)

• Is there anything special about this (AeroScenery) png file?

Nick. Will it be possible to download and save as bmp files in a later update?

This seems to be a common Photoshop issue, although they do work on my Photoshop CC 2015. At least you got it to work.

The free app Paint.NET can be useful for quick image editing. Re-saving as a PNG in that usually works.

They're just a standard PNG file, nothing special. PNG is the right choice here due to lossless compression and transparency support.

If you download a grid square containing shoreline, the non-available tiles from Google or Bing bits will render as transparent, not white or black as I believe FSET does.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• I tried the 'Install Scenery in AFS User Scenery Folder' after setting 'AFS2 Folder' to my root user data folder where \scenery is a sub folder. (d:\fs2data)

It seemed to have no effect. No new files appeared. No error message was logged.

I've been manually copying files like this:

Source:

d:\fs2build\AeroScenery\working\map_09_8800_a680\b\14-geoconvert-ttc

Destination:

d:\fs2data\scenery\images\map_09_8800_a680

That way I can keep track of the folders of .ttc files.

Manually copying is laborious due to the quantity of folders created at times.

I'm not sure what the recommended folder structure should be.

• Another exception...

Was just mucking around selecting tiles, trying to figure out how to unselect.

Finally realized double click unselected a tile. Got this exception (Attached).

This error occurred on my 2nd double click of the session.

In this session, I also found changing the selection size cleared all selected and had done that a few times earlier.

Restarted the app. No repro.

• Thanks for the bug report.

In the next version the "Install Scenery in AFS User Scenery Folder" is greyed out. I can't implement it until GeoConvert is changed so I know when its finished.

In the meantime I'll try to add a separate manual "Install Scenery" button.

I decided I'm only going to write to a user's custom scenery folder rather than the main game folder.

• Hey guys! I was using AeroScenery normally until I had to quit it to shut down the computer while it was working. I pressed STOP and then GeoConvert window showed up. I tried to quit it and it didn't exit. I then had to force quit it.

Anyway, I turned on the computer today and tried to load AeroScenery and the app just won't open. I see the "loading mouse cursor" for a few seconds and then nothing happens. I uninstalled AeroScenery and installed again and the same thing happens. I just can't load it anymore.

Any tips? I'm on Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

Edited once, last by knivesout33 (July 29, 2018 at 6:43 PM).

• Hey guys! I was using AeroScenery normally until I had to quit it to shut down the computer while it was working. I pressed STOP and then GeoConvert window showed up. I tried to quit it and it didn't exit. I then had to force quit it.

Anyway, I turned on the computer today and tried to load AeroScenery and the app just won't open. I see the "loading mouse cursor" for a few seconds and then nothing happens. I uninstalled AeroScenery and installed again and the same thing happens. I just can't load it anymore.

Any tips? I'm on Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

Hmm. Can you try to start it then go to Start Menu > Type "Event Viewer" > Windows Logs > Application

You'll probably see something from AeroScenery in there. Paste it in here and I'll take a look.

If you go to your Windows Documents folder > AeroScenery > database, rename areoscenery.db to _aeroscenery.db. Try starting the app again and it'll create a new database.

If that does work, could you zip the _aeroscenery.db and attach it here as it'll help me debug what's gone wrong.

Thanks.

• Is there any chance you will be integrating the option of running ScenProc on the finished tiles to extract a polygon map for structures and vegetation to generate cultivation easier?

• Hmm. Can you try to start it then go to Start Menu > Type "Event Viewer" > Windows Logs > Application

You'll probably see something from AeroScenery in there. Paste it in here and I'll take a look.

If you go to your Windows Documents folder > AeroScenery > database, rename areoscenery.db to _aeroscenery.db. Try starting the app again and it'll create a new database.

If that does work, could you zip the _aeroscenery.db and attach it here as it'll help me debug what's gone wrong.

Thanks.

Thanks for the message! I see 3 events created on "Event Viewer" when I try to load AeroScenery (posted below).

I tried uninstalling AeroScenery and deleting the whole AeroScenery folder from Windows Documents folder. When I reinstall the program and try to run it, it does not create the areoscenery.db file, only a areoscenery.txt is created. I'm uploading this .txt file as well.

The attached areoscenery.db file seems to be from yesterday while it was still working. I dunno if it will help you.

What changed in my computer since AeroScenery was working:

- I moved Aerofly FS 2 installation to an external USB HD (F:) using Steam's "move installation" function.

- I configured AeroScenery to create sceneries to that external F: drive.

- I turned on the windows suggestion to fix blurred apps. (I turned it off now)

I hope that helps. Tell me if you need any more files. Thanks for the patience!

PS: Is there a PayPal I can donate to keep this project running? I would gladly donate. :)

Application: AeroScenery.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, Int32, Boolean, System.IO.FileShare, Int32, System.IO.FileOptions, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES, System.String, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(System.String, System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess, System.IO.FileShare, Int32)

at AeroScenery.Data.SqlLiteDataRepository.CreateDatabase()

at AeroScenery.Data.SqlLiteDataRepository.UpgradeDatabase()

at AeroScenery.AeroSceneryManager.Initialize()

at AeroScenery.Program.Main()

--------------------

Faulting application name: AeroScenery.exe, version: 0.3.0.0, time stamp: 0x5b55a68e

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17134.165, time stamp: 0xb0bb231d

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x000000000003a388

Faulting process id: 0x2ef0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d4277579dc4adf

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\AeroScenery\AeroScenery.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: bfb868d6-c015-43fc-92c8-71f4a918d772

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

------------------

Fault bucket 1818022271583231130, type 5

Event Name: CLR20r3

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: AeroScenery.exe

P2: 0.3.0.0

P3: 5b55a68e

P4: mscorlib

P5: 4.7.3160.0

P6: 5b3bea33

P7: 1679

P8: fd

P9: System.IO.DirectoryNotFound

P10:

Attached files:

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER396A.tmp.mdmp

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER3A07.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER3B8F.tmp.xml

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER3C48.tmp.csv

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER3C59.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_AeroScenery.exe_40fe4b48edbcccbd6cfe419d7d1319fe6258d3_723bf4bd_27b5431e

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: bfb868d6-c015-43fc-92c8-71f4a918d772

Report Status: 2147487744

Hashed bucket: 331ddca68c9cdd9c693ae99fab779c9a

Cab Guid: 0

• Also, I noticed that uninstalling AeroScenery using Window's "Add/Remove Programs" doesn't delete the AeroScenery folder from "Documents". This makes me wonder if there are more files spread around Windows so I could delete to make a 100% clean installatio

I don't think my installer uninstalls registry settings yet, that's the only other thing.

The stuff in the Documents folder is user data, so it leaves that on purpose.

One or more of your configured directories are wrong and AeroScenery isn't doing a good job of checking them on startup.

Another issue on the list!

Go to Start, Type "regedit" > OK Run as Admin > On the left "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" > Software > AeroScenery >

Check "AeroSceneryDBDirectory" and "WorkingDirectory". Double click to edit them.

Is there any chance you will be integrating the option of running ScenProc on the finished tiles to extract a polygon map for structures and vegetation to generate cultivation easier?

Eventually I'd like to have AeroScenery do that itself . If I don't have time to implement that I will look grabbing the relevant OSM data and opening scenProc though.

• Got it to work again!

It turns out that there wasn't a "database" folder where registry was pointing (F:\AeroScenery\database\).

I just manually created that folder and copied that old aeroscenery.db to it. :D

Things you could improve on future releases:

- Add an uninstaller to completely remove files and registry data

- Create a new aeroscenery.db if none is found.

- Better error handling on program startup. "aeroscenery.db not found!", "corrupt installation", etc.

Thanks a lot! I'll keep testing it and reporting new findings.

Cheers!

• The hardest part here in the rural US, is that there isnt a lot of building and tree data is OSM outside major cities