User_defined external scenery structure

• Dear IPACS team.

The external user_defined folder works fine for me as long as I exactly follow the roots scenery structure, I.e scenery/places/, scenery/images/, scenery/elevation, etc.

I never managed to make it work with the addon structure. How can we do it?

This structure is far superior because all /images/, /elevation/, /places/, etc. of a same scenery can be grouped in a same dedicated folder, allowing consistent scenery management.

The addon structure is currently available in the default C: structure as well as in the Steam addons library.

If it can work also with the user_defined external location, what is the appropriate syntax and structure?

If not, could you please consider adding it?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• I bring up my question, anybody at IPACS to give an answer please ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• The question is : what is the appropriate syntax and folder structure to have an addon structure work in the external user folder? (the same addon structure we have by default on the C: drive and in the Steam library)

When I mirror the addon structure from the C: drive in the external user folder, it gets simply disregarded by AFS2.

When I mirror the scenery structure instead, it's being used by AFS2.

In other words, the external user folder doesn't seem to work the same as the default game folder.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Antoine

• Official Post

I don't think the addon folder is considered part of the external user folder at all. The addon folder in the installation folder - I think - is reserved for automatically installed scenery, such as DLCs.

When you have user made scenery you can put it in the subdirectory "scenery" of the external user folder.

If you have user made aircraft I think you can also put them in the subdirectory "aircraft", not sure if that works yet.

• The addon folder in the game folder on the C: isn't used for DLC's.

The goal is to avoid the scenery structure of the game folder, that spreads constitutive parts of various sceneries into common folders, leading to a quickly growing mess :

To remove or deactivate a scenery, you'll have to search for bits and pieces in various sub directories.

The addon structure is far superior for scenery management as illustrated below : all elements are gathered in a specific folder with the substructure below:

The addon structure works well on the default game folder, but it's on the C: drive which is to be avoided.

The same addon structure works well also in the Steam Library, but it is not intended for home made sceneries.

So, please consider making it work in the external user defined folder.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Antoine

Edited once, last by Trespassers (July 4, 2018 at 9:36 AM).

• In addition to a package based scenery organization as Antoine suggests it would also be useful to have an easy way to disable packages,

A folder name convention hook such as

!package
    ___elevation

___ images

___...

or

#package

___elevation

___images

___...

would not be loaded.

package

___elevation

___images

___...

would be loaded.

That would make it easier to quickly enable/disable packages rather than moving them to an out of the path location.

i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz | ASUS Z170-A | 16Gb DDR4 | Samsung SSD 950 PRO NVME M.2 256GB | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on GP102-A GPU | Oculus CV1 | Windows 10