V-SYNC OFF/ON in nVidia settings and/or AFS2 ?

• Dear All,

Haven't seen if such a post has already been made so my apologizes if so...

I just wanted to know about the V-Sync on/off option (on video card settings and in AFS2) if - on a basic recent configuration (i7 processor - 16GB RAM - GeForce 1030 minimum GPU) - it is better to have V-Sync on in the graphic cards settings and in AFS2, or only on one of them, or maybe both off in case of a good graphic card and good screen. (I currently have a HP Spectre X360 laptop with Geforce MX150 and an extenal 2K Samsung C32H711 monitor)

Globally my experience in AFS2 is satisfying except at very low (< 3000ft) altitude were I start to see some jerks.

So I just wanted to know which settings generally gives better performance results, even If I know that this is often depending on each one's config.

Thanks in advance,

Vincent

HP Spectre X360 15bl100xx

i7-8550U / 16 GB SDRAM DDR4-2400 / SSD PCIe NVMe M.2 512 GB

NVIDIA GeForce MX150 2GB

Samsung LC32H711QEUXEN 32" Curved Monitor

TrackIR PRO

• Official Post

In general for running in 2D mode, you should check your current FPS limitation by turning off VSync in the settings and pressing CTRL-F1. Take a look at your FPS, if it's over 120 FPS then setting Vsync to limit at 120 will benefit you. if your FPS is below that then I suggest just leaving it set to off (or ON with no limitations if you are seeing screen tearing).

If you are running in VR mode then its strongly suggested to keep Vsync OFF.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Have you tried to get a fixed 60 fps from your graphics card menu and leave off all the vsyncs? I find this gives me less hessitation/lag/judder....... Laptops tend to have fewer control options so you might not be able to set this.

Hello,

Well my screen is a 60Hz screen so I can't set it over :)

Also I did not tried to have one or both of the V-SYNC options set to OFF. Maybe I'm not wrong here by saying that V-SYNC is an option that you must try at the moment you encounter screen-tearing. Otherwise don't use it.

I will do more tests and will give the results here by this week.

NVIDIA GeForce MX150 2GB

TrackIR PRO

• Official Post

Maybe I'm not wrong here by saying that V-SYNC is an option that you must try at the moment you encounter screen-tearing

Indeed

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• In general for running in 2D mode, you should check your current FPS limitation by turning off VSync in the settings and pressing CTRL-F1. Take a look at your FPS, if it's over 120 FPS then setting Vsync to limit at 120 will benefit you. if your FPS is below that then I suggest just leaving it set to off (or ON with no limitations if you are seeing screen tearing).

If you are running in VR mode then its strongly suggested to keep Vsync OFF.

Hi,

1. When you talk about turning off VSync you mean at nvidia card and AFS2 level ? or only within AFS2 settings ?

2. Pressing CTRL-F1 in AFS2 will show the FPS, is that right ?

NVIDIA GeForce MX150 2GB

TrackIR PRO

• Official Post

Only use the Vsync settings from within Aerofly. Make sure you don't have any outside application controlling Vsync. You should have your NVidia Control Panel settings set to use only default settings.

Yes, CTRL+F1 pressed displays your FPS in the lower left corner of your monitor.

Regards,

Jeff

• Only use the Vsync settings from within Aerofly. Make sure you don't have any outside application controlling Vsync. You should have your NVidia Control Panel settings set to use only default settings.

Yes, CTRL+F1 pressed displays your FPS in the lower left corner of your monitor.

Thanks a lot !

I will try these different scenarios and let know about which one gives best results.

NVIDIA GeForce MX150 2GB

TrackIR PRO

• Only use the Vsync settings from within Aerofly.

Which is what I did up to the latest update but since I am using Vulkan the vsync option in AFS2 doesn't work anymore so I turned on vsync in the nVidia CP and luckily that one does work. Without vsync I get a lot of tearing!

• This let me think that maybe, within the coming weeks, and with regards also to VR and the coming big new update, it could be helpfull to have a summary of the most commonly encountered or tested graphic settings at windows/graphic card level and AFS2 level.

This could be for example a special section in the Wiki documentation.

Don't know if you find it valuable or not.

Thanks again.

NVIDIA GeForce MX150 2GB

TrackIR PRO

• Hello,

As a (final) result the best options for me were the followings :

- VSync in nVidia Control Panel set to : use the 3D application settings

- I have also applied these settings in nVidia Control Panel : https://www.mainperformancepc.com/nvidia-control-panel-settings/

- VSync in AFS2 set to : ON

- Monitor refresh rate set to : 60fps (if 59fps and 60fps are both shown in the list of possible refresh rates)

Regards,

Vincent

NVIDIA GeForce MX150 2GB

TrackIR PRO

Edited once, last by Vince7212 (July 3, 2018 at 1:58 PM).

• Hey Simmers,

As my final result after lots of Tests , the best options for me were the followings :

- VSync in nVidia Control Panel set to : on or fast

- VSync in AFS2 set to : ON

- Monitor refresh rate set to : 60fps

best results I get with these Settings, smooth flying, no tearing in 2D and VR

BTW, no beta is installed

cheers, Eike