Using different pedal axis for left and right rudder?

• Hi all,

Now that I'm testing the new releases I wanted to try out my hotas and G920 pedals for rudder. I have the issue that if I'm using the clutch pedal for left and gas pedal for right rudder, the center will be off in one direction, making the aircraft yaw and extreme rudder correction is needed to counter. It is also seen in the menu that the rudder position is confused after giving one axis as 'left' and the other as 'right', the center position being way off center (depending on which axis was given later).

In the Logitech setup program I can only combine the gas pedal with the brake pedal to make one single controller axis, the clutch does not have this option. But this is very inconvenient as even with that plastic piece removed from inside the brake pedal (to make it feel like braking with a brake servo failure), it's still much harder to push than the accelerator. I'll keep looking for a solution but any suggestions are welcome here.

Thanks in advance!

Hello all,

In the meantime I've found a workaround that can be used until IPACS comes out with a solution.

(Software option to combine two axes for rudder, pleeeease? ^^).

By using vJoy and UCR, one can combine the two separate input axis into a single one:

After that, the rudder can be added from the virtual joystick.

Cheers

Best Regards

Balazs

Ryzen 2700X, HyperX 32GB, 2060 Super 8GB, win10/ubuntu19

Saitek X52 HOTAS, Logitech G920 pedals

freetrack/opentrack
    X-Plane 11, DCS modules: A-10C, Ka-50, FC3, Mirage 2000C, F/A-18C, Persian Gulf

• Hello,

After setting up the UCR and installing vjoy, do you actually see the output preview in UCR moving, as well as seeing the VJoy axis moving in the Game Controllers list?

For me, Vjoy never gets to install correctly at the first time, hanging in the installer forever, directly at the end of install. When I shut down the installer, it will say 'success', but it will not work, due some failed registry change (UCR will also notice). But if I just plain reinstall Vjoy, it will start to work.

Make sure to restart windows before launching UCR again. You can also expect that UCR might not save your plugin choice so it will not be 'remapper' (but code runner), thus again, it will not work until it's selected manually again. Homebrew drivers/installers + not overly tested GUIs + windows10 = bah :rolleyes:.

The chosen Output Virtual Axis is basically irrelevant, just make sure it goes to vJoy Stick 1 (assuming you only have one virtual joystick). I've just picked Axis 4 to try to make sure it will not interfere with stick-like axes coming the HOTAS.

Should you see any cross-axis movement in the Game Controllers->Properties preview, just make a calibration and only move the pedals when calibrating the axis you picked as UCR Output Virtual Axis.

Hope this will get your setup going! :)

Cheers

Best Regards

Balazs

freetrack/opentrack

• Thank you Kisvakond for this detailed guide and all the time you have used to answer me πŸ˜€

Yes, I had the exact same issues with the vJoy installer hanging at the end of the installation every time i tried. The only way I could end it was to restart the computer.

I didn't see any movement in the output preview in UCR, but and thought the hanging installation could be the cause.

After alot of attempts I gave up and deleted my question in this thread.

Only combined axis and throttle/brake combination worked for me.

But now I must give it yet another try and follow your guide above πŸ‘

Thank you!

Windows 10 64bit | I7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X motherboard | Corsair Vengiance RGB Pro 16GB 3000Mz | Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC | SSD 512 GB + HDD 4 TB | Oculus Rift CV1 | X-Plane | DCS: F-15, F-5E, SU-27, SU-33, Mig29, A10 & Nevada | T Flight Hotas X | G29 Logitech

• Yeah, it's a pity that Logitech only allows to combine the throttle and brake axes, especially that the factory brake pedal is so hard. Even after removing that 3 cm hard rubber piece that Logitech expects you to flatten out with around a good 40-50kg, you still have a significant difference in pedal stiffness.

Btw the Logitech G-series pedals have some mechanical deadzone , which will make fine movements tricky (as you don't feel where rudders starts to work). Not necessarily a problem in AFS2, as one does not have to use the rudder to aim with the guns, but be aware. ^^

Oh, I forgot to mention, that the input Axis Stick number may vary on each computer/setup (hooking up the very same controllers on a different computer at home will result in different numbers). It's probably due to USB device enumeration sequence being something pretty much unpredictable. So if you have a working setup saved on a different computer/installation, you'll most probably have to try the number until you find the input stick that has your pedals and save again.

Once again, we should ask IPACS nicely, to introduce options to combine (any) axes of (any) controllers (including some basic invert/add/slider etc., options), like in e.g. DCS World. Please? :)

Best Regards

Balazs

freetrack/opentrack

• Have you tried to assign two inputs for one axis? From my understanding this was added in the last few updates, hope that I'm not mistaken here

Yes, and no mather what I try the axis/rudder goes all the way to one side int AFS2.

Only combined axis checked in Logitech software (throttle/brake) seems to work in AFS2. But this results in a very stiff left rudder (brake) pedal due to Logitech G29 was meant for racing and not flying πŸ™‚

It would be nice for all racing pedal users to be able to assign the clutch and throttle (different axis), but I don't know how difficult it is to implement (if not already implemented). 😡

Today it my daughters birthsday and our house will soon be filled with guests, but I will dig into it tomorrow πŸ‘

Thank you Jan and Kisvakond for your replies πŸ™‚

Oh, I forgot to mention, that the input Axis Stick number may vary on each computer/setup (hooking up the very same controllers on a different computer at home will result in different numbers). It's probably due to USB device enumeration sequence being something pretty much unpredictable. So if you have a working setup saved on a different computer/installation, you'll most probably have to try the number until you find the input stick that has your pedals and save again.

THANK YOU!

This made all the difference. I chose "Stick 1" in UCR and suddenly the sliders moved :thumbup:

It feels so much better with the clutch as left rudder!

Thank you SO MUCH :)

It suddently stopped working and I have used many hours trying to use the clutch.

I feel like giving up and hope for an update that allow to use different axes in the future.

Windows 10 64bit | I7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X motherboard | Corsair Vengiance RGB Pro 16GB 3000Mz | Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC | SSD 512 GB + HDD 4 TB | Oculus Rift CV1 | X-Plane | DCS: F-15, F-5E, SU-27, SU-33, Mig29, A10 & Nevada | T Flight Hotas X | G29 Logitech

Edited 2 times, last by Pokredde (November 20, 2018 at 3:38 PM).