Approach guides disappearing

• Trying the beta at present. I notice the Approach Guides are sometimes disappearing.

This is what I observe:

1) Boxes nearer the aircraft, but in front, disappear while still a long way out. Boxes further in the distance are still visible. Boxes on or behind the aircraft are still visible, and can be seen by turning head to the side, or using the external camera. So just boxes both near and in front are gone.

2) Boxes disappear completely, often approaching a turn in the flight plan, the whole lot are gone. They usually reappear after a while.

Happens with both normal and vulcan renderer.

Could this be a bug introduced with the beta?

I'm a noob, I like the approach guides!

• I see the game's had a new update.

This issue persists.

I'm attaching screenshots to explain.

In front, the near guides are gone, only distant ones are visible. Sometimes all are gone.

(This is a cropped image, they are almost invisible at full resolution.)

Look behind, and they are often quite normal.

• I found a very temporary work around.

If you ESC to the main menu, then Start, the guides will return.

It seems something is calculated relating to heading or direction, but not being updated correctly.

Re-starting the flight session seems to update whatever it is, causing guides to work for a while. At least until you change heading :(

By the way, is there anyway to tell these bug reports are being monitored and not just lost in the ether?

• We are working on this at the moment.

There is no need for workarounds. We have identified the problem and are working to get it resolved.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• OK, we have found and fixed the issues here.

A new update will be sent to the public Steam build shortly.

All should be working again once Aerofly patches to the new updated version.

Thank you for pointing this bug out.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• OK, we have found and fixed the issues here.

A new update will be sent to the public Steam build shortly.

All should be working again once Aerofly patches to the new updated version.

Thank you for pointing this bug out.

That's good to hear. However, I have problems identifying the PAPI lights on approaches. They are really almost invisible until one is virtually on the threshold in VR. I have supersampling at 2.00, but still can hardly make them out in full daylight.

P3D 3.4/XP 10,11/AFS2/DCS/Flyinside FS - Win 10 Home 64 - ASRock Z270 Extreme 4, Intel i7 7700k 4.5GHz, 32Gb 3,200 G.Skill Trident RAM, Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti Extreme 11Gb, Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb M.2 NVMe + 2Tb WD Gold, NZXT Kraken X62 Oculus Rift.

• I put a post in a while back about the size of the real life PAPIs at Miami, they can be seen in both Google Earth and in the actual Aerofly Southern Florida scenery but the PAPI images do not seem to have been recognised for what they are by the scenery design people and Aero' put undersized and miss-placed mini-PAPIs close to the runway edges. It is easy to get the runway layouts from sources such as SkyVector.

This is a link to the original post, Jan was kind enough to read it and consider the possibility of doing some PAPI adjustments at a future date. Grossly undersized PAPIs are hard to see from normal distances.

Sorry MIAMI PAPIs also.

• OV, are you flying in VR or with monitors?

I remember at the beginning of the year that street lights in VR looked blurry because they were optimized for higher resolution monitors (needed more pixels to be seen). Then with the summer update, it appears the street lights were scaled down some so they now look better in VR. If this is true, maybe IPACS also scaled down the size of the PAPI lights. I also think they are hard to see (red vs white) at the final approach point.

It's been many, many years since I was in a cockpit for a night final approach, but my distance memory was that the PAPI lights were intense/obvious.