@admin: Testing with the RX 480/580 GPU

• admin You've stated that you probably have to get a RX 480/580 in order to fix the Vulkan issue (crash) on that GPU.

While you have that GPU in your possession, could you please take that opportunity to test AF2's VSync with OpenGL (which never worked on that GPU - confirmed by other RX 480/580 owners) as well?

Thanks in advance.

Edited once, last by RiseT (July 12, 2018 at 2:54 PM).

• Official Post

RiseT: We do have a RX 580 for testing now and can reproduce the crash. But after looking at it for quite some time we have no single clue on whats causing the issue. It would be great to get some support from AMD here, but the chances are low.

As for OpenGL VSYNC: The next version on Steam will output some more debug information for us, but we can't see what we should be doing wrong. Double check you haven't overwritten anything inside your 3D graphic card driver settings.

• As for OpenGL VSYNC: The next version on Steam will output some more debug information for us, but we can't see what we should be doing wrong. Double check you haven't overwritten anything inside your 3D graphic card driver settings.

Does that mean VSync works for you with the RX 580, i. e. you're getting a constant 60 fps on a 60 Hz display?

I can give you some additional info, though.

• With default driver settings (and VSync enabled in AF2's settings), VSync doesn't work
    • With setting VSync to "always on" in AF2's dedicated game profile in the driver settings (and VSync enabled in AF2's settings), VSync doesn't work
    • BUT: With setting VSync to "always on" in the global settings in the driver settings (and VSync enabled in AF2's settings), VSync does work
      But that's rather a workaround than a real solution.

Also, I wonder how display technologies like FreeSync or G-Sync play into this. The RX 580 only knows FreeSync, but the display I'm currently using features neither FreeSync nor G-Sync.

Edited 3 times, last by RiseT (July 13, 2018 at 6:23 PM).

• We do have a RX 580 for testing now and can reproduce the crash. But after looking at it for quite some time we have no single clue on whats causing the issue. It would be great to get some support from AMD here, but the chances are low.

Could also be a bug in the Radeon driver. In its release notes, there are almost always some bug fixes corresponding to designated games.

Edit: One thing that is pointing in that direction is the fact that sometimes the AF2 crash can take Windows with it, i. e. crash Windows as well. A bug in a "normal", i. e. "driver-less" application like AF2 shouldn't be able to do this, while a bug in a driver certainly can.

Edited 5 times, last by RiseT (July 13, 2018 at 6:39 PM).

• As for VSYNC: We can confirm its not working on our side as well which is strange as we basically follow sample code to enable/disable VSYNC.

Anyway, for now you need to use OpenGL on AMD cards until we find out more. As for VSYNC we will analyze this more.

Fair enough. I just wanted to make sure you're aware of and acknowledge the issue and that it's not just some problem with some old driver or some setting on my personal system.

• As for VSYNC: We saw that the default AMD driver setting is to always OFF for VSYNC in our case. Setting this switch to application controlled enables VSYNC with Aerofly and OpenGL.

That's interesting.

In my case, the AMD driver's default global setting is "Off, unless application specifies". This has always been the case (and I've done a) several clean re-installs of the driver and also b) did factory resets on its settings). Btw, it also doesn't work if set to "On, unless application specifies".

Like I've stated in an older post in this thread, when using the default driver settings (global vsync setting: "Off, unless application specifies"), vsync does not work with AF2.

If I change the global setting to "Always on", vsync in AF2 does work, but that's not what I want. While I enable vsync in each game's settings with most games (successfully btw), there are exceptions where I do want to leave it disabled. So I enable/disable vsync in each game individually in its in-game settings and do not override that by the graphics driver's settings.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same setting: You mean "Gaming" >> "Global Settings" >> "Wait for Vertical Refresh", correct?

Edited 3 times, last by RiseT (July 15, 2018 at 12:02 AM).