Suggestions for new video card?

• Hi everyone,

I'm new to Aerofly FS2 and absolutely love it. I have almost all the available downloads at present, It runs beautifully on my system with all settings on high.

My current specs are Win 7 64, i7 3770K @4.2Ghz; GA-Z77X-D3H; 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz; ATI 7850 2GB;

I cannot run in Vulkan as I get terrible artifacts etc. I suspect that my 2GB ATI video card is whats letting me down, Can someone confirm? and I'd be greatful for suggestion for a new video card. Also Is nvidea better than ATI for flight simming?

Thanks

Tony

• I have artifacts with vulkan on a geforce 1080 gtx, especially when turning. But open gl is fine and my understanding is that there is no need right now to use vulkan.

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• Official Post

Welcome to our forum!

I normally wouldn't respond to questions like this because they are subjective but to answer you, it really depends on whether you are planning on using VR or not. Even though Aerofly runs great on many different GPU's, even older ones, but if you want the best experience in VR then you should look at the NVidia GeForce 1080Ti. Otherwise, if you are just planning on running in 2D (not 4K) then even a GeForce 980 will aloow for you to run Aerofly with maxed settings.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Welcome to our forum!

I normally wouldn't respond to questions like this because they are subjective but to answer you, it really depends on whether you are planning on using VR or not. Even though Aerofly runs great on many different GPU's, even older ones, but if you want the best experience in VR then you should look at the NVidia GeForce 1080Ti. Otherwise, if you are just planning on running in 2D (not 4K) then even a GeForce 980 will aloow for you to run Aerofly with maxed settings.

Thanks Jeff, much appreciated. I think the GeForce 980 will suite my purposes.

Cheers

• UPDATE: Hi all, just an update for anyone with an ATI video card.

I just downloaded the very latest driver for my card and my humble ATI 7850 2GB is now able to run vulkan. I have to have my settings on high rather than ultra, but I'm still very happy with the performance. This buys me a bit more time to save up for a better graphics card.

Cheers

• Anyway, when you decide to replace the card, do not forget that Aeroflys "Insane" shadow mode was recommended only for cards with 8gb of memory or more. Aerofly will automatically display lower settings on cards with less memory in GL mode. But for Vulkan this seems different - I run "insane" mode on my 2 GTX970 (I have no idea does Aerofly support SLI or not yet).

A GTX 1070 will work with this setting, but it's intended for 1080 and above graphics cards.

• Anyway, when you decide to replace the card, do not forget that Aeroflys "Insane" shadow mode was recommended only for cards with 8gb of memory or more. Aerofly will automatically display lower settings on cards with less memory in GL mode. But for Vulkan this seems different - I run "insane" mode on my 2 GTX970 (I have no idea does Aerofly support SLI or not yet).

A GTX 1070 will work with this setting, but it's intended for 1080 and above graphics cards.

Excellent thank you

• I used to run with a GTX 970 and 3rd generation I5 processor with a Windows Mixed Reality headset. It ran perfectly well with just minor stuttering in built-up areas. I have an 8th gen I7 now and GTX 1080, but the experience has not changed a great deal (no more stuttering); though this leaves room for more complex scenery in the future. Apparently a price drop in the 10 series cards is anticipated soon to clear stock before the 11 series is introduced. I guess there is always something around the corner.

Edited once, last by GrahamD (July 25, 2018 at 10:52 AM).