Remap VR controls?

• I'm kinda new to this whole VR thing. Is there any way to remap the VR gestures & buttons on the Touch like you can with buttons on yokes and the keyboard buttons? Just wondering.

Edited once, last by DrBanner (July 19, 2018 at 3:28 PM).

• Official Post

We have hard coded the controls because we took a fair universal approach. The Touch obviously has more buttons than the Vive that could have been used for other functions but we had to meet in the middle so that users with a Vive, Touch, and even other motion controllers were all on the same playfield, and are able to use this feature.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• drhotwing1: Thanks for the response. Do you know if this will change in the future so that if a new type of interface, like the gloves and such, comes out we can change it? Kind of like there are a lot of different joysticks with lots of different button layouts?

DHolm: I completely agree....it's breathtaking in FS2! They did an amazing job. I am really excited to see where this technology heads, and I was just getting ready to buy into a crowdfunded glove project, but wasnt sure if I should if the software I would use it with wont ever support it.

Thanks

• Official Post

drhotwing1: Thanks for the response. Do you know if this will change in the future so that if a new type of interface, like the gloves and such, comes out we can change it? Kind of like there are a lot of different joysticks with lots of different button layouts?

DHolm: I completely agree....it's breathtaking in FS2! They did an amazing job. I am really excited to see where this technology heads, and I was just getting ready to buy into a crowdfunded glove project, but wasnt sure if I should if the software I would use it with wont ever support it.

Thanks

We haven't tested gloves with Aerofly at this time. If anyone from the community has done so we would like to hear their feedback. However, we don't really have any plans to make many more changes to our motion control system as it took a long time for us to make it universally compatible with systems like the Oculus Touch, Vive, and WMR motion controls. We have a ton of other priorities to accomplish. Maybe some day we will look into the gloves if they become more mainstream but even then it will be a while.

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Ok, so this is what I am thinking. IPACS is pretty satisfied with their VR control implementation, and I agree it is in a very usable state. Some of us though with LEAP would like to try to get that to work inside FS2 without their support, which I think is cool so they can stay focused on helicopters, ATC and weather. LEAP could solve some VR problems for those of us that use hardware yokes and such, that not everyone uses.

I have been able to get LEAP to work in SteamVR using openVR, but it was very buggy and hard to configure. If need be, I could always write something forked from GitHub. With that said, I will continue experimenting and seeing if I can MacGuyver up something that works to get LEAP working inside FS2 in an easier, more stable way, without writing something myself.

We know using the mouse pointer works in manipulating the controls in VR, and we know that there are already applications that make LEAP manipulate the mouse pointer, like listed below.

https://gallery.leapmotion.com/touchless-for-windows/

And from the looks of it, you can map gestures to keys and clicks and mouse scrolls. So this seems promising. This is the next direction I will take this since it was mind-blowing to actually have my actual hands inside the sim. It was un-freaking believable....like when you first launched FS2 for the first time right after you closed your other flight sim and saw the difference in graphics. It was that jaw-dropping.

Anyone wanting to contribute, please feel free.

PK

• So far, AeroTouch, Touchless, and GameWAVE, are all total failures trying to get LEAP to work for mouse pointer redirection. They are either too touchy, or too insensitive. The OpenVR is so far the best implementation, but the gestures hardcoded into FS2 prevent any key or gesture remapping, while the it solves the mouse pointer jumpiness. About the only thing you can to reliably is switch radio standby's and grab the throttle or mixture.

Honestly, all we need is the right hand mapped to the mouse. Looks like I might have to write my own :(

• I do think VR controller could be improved. For example, X-Planes has a nice remapping interface, and their menus by default are done better. Just pausing the game is a bit of a pain right now, and almost impossible to navigate with the touchpads with WindowsMR (way to sensitive for the smaller touchpad size in WindowsMR).

• I understand that the common controls of different vr controllers are hard coded to get a similar base.

But it would be great, if additional buttons ( i use the oculus) which are not in common use can be used for some extra commands, for example switching views ore others.

Often i'm fumbling for keys which are not assigned to my joysticks so i could map some of them to the oculus controllers.

Regards,

Roger

Win10-x64 | ASUS X370Pro | Ryzen 5 1600X | G.Skill 16 GB DDR4-3200 | 2TB SSD Samsung 860 | ASUS RTX 2080 8GB GDDR6 |
    ASUS ROG Swift Curved PG348Q 100Hz | TM T.16000M | CH Pro Pedals | CH Flight Sim Yoke | Oculus Rift

• Ok! I was able to remap controls and got Leap Motion working, albeit it a little touchy!

1. Opt into the Steam VR beta.

2. Install https://github.com/cbuchner1/driver_leap (follow the instructions here and get Orion from Oculus if you havent already)

3. Install the https://github.com/SDraw/driver_leap

4. Launch SteamVR

5. You should now see 2 Vive controllers in Steam VR, these are your Leap Hands

6. With Steam VR running open a webbrowser to:

http://127.0.0.1:8998/dashboard/controllerbinding.html

7. Select Aerofly FS2 Flight Simulator

8. Then click Edit button under Current Binding

9. under Left vive_controller delete all the actions that you dont want.

10. I deleted everything under Left vive_controller and will add things back on, one at a time until I get it right where I want it

11. Save Personal Binding

Go try the game with Leap and only the right hand will function now

• Guys, please understand that we can't be responsible if you end up messing something up with your configuration trying to get Leap Motion to work with Aerofly. I also have to inform you that using the Oculus Rift with Steam VR mode may also not be optimal as there is the Oculus SDK for Rift owners that's much better optimized.

At some point we may look at Leap Motion support but this is likely not going to be for some time, and it won't be at the expense of the Oculus Touch, Vive, and WMR controllers VR Hands already implemented into Aerofly FS 2.

Those of you that still wish to proceed, please use this mod at your own risk.

Regards,

Jeff

• I also have to inform you that using the Oculus Rift with Steam VR mode may also not be optimal as there is the Oculus SDK for Rift owners that's much better optimized.

That's what puts me off. I went SteamVR with my Oculus for a bit to try and get motion compensation working on my motion platform. It was too flaky and inefficient so I'm done with that. ....now if the Pimax 8k ever happens I'll be very interested in SteamVR.

• Take it one step at a time. Do step 1 and step 2. Download Orion beta if you havent. Do the controllers now light up in Steam VR?

• The pause/menu implementation is terrible. I'm sure that at least could be improved. The long press for the menu with no pause is just bad. There is a menu button in all three controllers (vive, oculus, and wmr), and camera angles could be implemented with a better menu, like what x-plane is doing.