Ordered the Ocolus Rift

• G'day all,

Well, I bit the bullet today and bought an Oculus Rift.

I hope it doesn't take toooooo long to get here (Australia)

Any pointers from our VR simmers?

Cheers,

Paul

Handy cultivation tools

Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift

• Quite amazingly, when I ordered my Rift a year ago it only took a week for it to get from the Netherlands to Brisbane (where I live). In the same amount of time something else I ordered got delivered from Sydney, but that's Australia Post for you. :P I hope you enjoy it, VR is an incredible experience. One year on and I'm still loving every moment I spend in AFS2 with it.

- Ashley

P3D v4 / AFS2 / XP11 | Intel i7-4790K oc'ed @ 4.6GHz | 16GB RAM | 8GB Nvidia GTX1070 | Windows 10 64-bit | Oculus Rift

• Quite amazingly, when I ordered my Rift a year ago it only took a week for it to get from the Netherlands to Brisbane (where I live). In the same amount of time something else I ordered got delivered from Sydney, but that's Australia Post for you. :P I hope you enjoy it, VR is an incredible experience. One year on and I'm still loving every moment I spend in AFS2 with it.

Excellent, I'm looking forward to it.

Handy cultivation tools

Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift

• great expirience , you will love it. In Germany last year it cost me 449,- Euro with 2 Controllers and 2 sensors. I bought a 3rd sensor to get the roomscaling Feeling, but it is not required for AFS2. But more for othter games, but this is not the correct platform for it.

three green

Eike

• great expirience , you will love it. In Germany last year it cost me 449,- Euro with 2 Controllers and 2 sensors. I bought a 3rd sensor to get the roomscaling Feeling, but it is not required for AFS2. But more for othter games, but this is not the correct platform for it.

three green

Eike

Thanks Eike:)

Handy cultivation tools

• Would all Oculus owners chime in please on basic setup for our newbie friend: (I know that some of you will disagree with my thoughts)

- If you have been using your 40" Philips with HDMI, you will need maybe to move it to a Display Port because you need the HDMI for the Rift

- the RIft USB prefers USB 3.0

1) I would choose to stay with Oculus Classic Home for now - not to use Rift Core 2.0 Beta until all else seems normal

2) Start without Oculus Touch controllers - just use joystick/throttle/keyboard/mouse for initial setup and checkout for AFS2

3) Use Oculus VR mode first, then checkout Steam VR mode

Dave W.

• Dave I love just my controllers. I fly with the littles sticks only. It gives me more control of of the aircraft. I have had no problems with the core bata as is works for me using AF2. Not sure what you mean in #3. I would get use to VR but starting with Oculus Rift. Then After you get the feel for things (If you have never been in VR it is an eye opener. ) Then go into SeamVR to use AF2 you do need to have both open.

• Okay, thanks Dave.

I'm excited about this, hope I don't get sick!

Handy cultivation tools

• With cockpit sims you can get sick two different ways. If your computer can’t keep up and you get stutters, you may not even realize it’s happening but it can be a nausea inducer. You might want to keep an eye on frame rates until you know they are good and adjust settings as necessary.

The other cause is just having what you see be moving when you don’t experience the same thing. The more cockpit you have around you and the gentler your flight, the less tendency for feeling sick. Aerobatics in the Bücker would probably be worst for that but are a kick.

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, 2 dof Motion, Valve Index

• I hope you will enjoy your purchase more than I did mine... ;) It was great for a while but I am 100% back to 2D for various reasons. So my tip for you is: temper your expectations! 8) But well, I think I am in a minority when it comes to VR so don't take me too seriously. ^^

• I've had mine for two years and still love it. I occasionally go back to 2D when I have to do some fiddling and setting up, but the flying is just really unsatisfying for me in 2D now. You are starting with one of the best VR experiences with AFS2 (not just flight sim but any VR experience); the smoothness and clarity is just about the best out of everything I've tried.

I'd also recommend trying out other sims and experiences such as Google Earth, Mission: ISS, Discovering Space 2, Project CARS 2 (if you have a wheel), DCS World, even Robo Recall is worth a look and gives another dimension to the rift experience.

AFS2 is one of the easiest ones to set up too, on my system it runs most things maxed and keeps a steady 45fps. The Buckmeister Biplane was born for VR, you can chuck it around and land it anywhere, it will take off from a car park and you get a great view.

You are in for a treat I'm sure.

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals

• I absolutely LOVE flying in VR even after 19 months. I think you will be delighted. My advice is to fly for a while without adjusting the SS. Let yourself be captivated by the feeling of real flight before you try and see how far you can crank up the resolution. Then after a few days start experimenting.

• I hope you will enjoy your purchase more than I did mine... ;) It was great for a while but I am 100% back to 2D for various reasons. So my tip for you is: temper your expectations! 8) But well, I think I am in a minority when it comes to VR so don't take me too seriously. ^^

Bedankt :)

Handy cultivation tools

• Absolutely amazing, I ordered the Rift on Wednesday (from Australia) and it arrived Friday on my doorstep (2 days)

Go Oculus Rift and DHL, well done. (Australia Post could learn a lot from you guys)

Just downloading software, and ready to go :thumbup:

I will leave feedback regarding my first ever VR flight :)

Handy cultivation tools

• I expect we'll hear back from you again after a couple days :D Enjoy! And my condolences to your 2D monitor which probably won't be seeing much use anymore.;)

Oculus software wont install, keeps telling me to reboot. I have followed all of their instructions, nothing works!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:(

Handy cultivation tools

• Oculus software wont install, keeps telling me to reboot. I have followed all of their instructions, nothing works!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:(

Might check on their company forum. Might get some help there. Sounds like a software conflict of some kind. Be sure to detail your OS, computer, any installation peculiarities, all messages, and look for a log file from the install and include that.

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, 2 dof Motion, Valve Index