Virtual Reality absolutely ROCKS in AFS2

• Yep, I am longsighted, I wear reading glasses :(

I'm also longsighted and am delighted that I don't have to wear glasses in VR. The funny thing is, I am used to not holding things too close to read when I'm not wearing glasses. It took a while to get used to the fact that in VR you can move in close and read the fine-print.

• Sometimes you don't appreciate how fast and sharp Aerofly is until you compare it to some of the other offerings out there. In vr at least, I always get a sense of relief after coming back to aerofly.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Limiting is the vr hmd, not aerofly. It is a repeating story as with screens, they were not crispy sharp in the beginning. VR will also improve over time, we are just at the beginning and this is promising. I enjoy aerofly in VR every day.

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• One simple issue with VR piloting is simply not being close enough to the instrument panel, Make sure your eyepoint is directly above (look straight down) the front edge of your seat.

In Settings, ->Controls -> View -> Scroll to the bottom until you see the Move forward/backward/left/right/up/down commands and I used several of them with my POV hat so I could easily move right up close without needing so much leaning.

Then choose cockpits like F-15, F-8 with HUDs, , Jungmeister, Pitts, and a few others that really work well in VR. The Pitts especially should be very clear.

Render Scale Factor must be at least 1.5

Dave W.

• If you look at the balls on the windscreen brace on the Q400, you will see that the default position with VR is too far back. Adjust your seat position so that the black ball covers the white ball and you are the correct distance away. That helps with clarity on the displays.

You are still too high after you have done this. Lowering yourself into a more realistic position also helps with clarity because again it puts you closer to the screens.

• Changing your position helps indeed when it comes to the cockpit (though it's a pity you have to do this every time) but it doesn't help with the pixelated runways in the distance... ;) Don't get me wrong, the immersion is totally awesome, but I am just one of the few unlucky guys who can't get used to the low resolution. In my case the cockpit isn't the real problem: the scenery is. I keep on squeezing (if that is the right word) my eyes all the time trying to see what's really down there. When I get close to my destination it really annoys me that I can't clearly see the airport while I actually should. Even after landing I still can't see everything clearly like I can on my 2D screen: towers and terminals on larger airports are still bundles of pixels then.

Maybe this all has to do with the fact that I am a graphic designer and allergic for low res stuff. ^^ I seriously envy those who don't see any problems with it because yes, the immersion is totally awesome!

• Official Post

If you look at the balls on the windscreen brace on the Q400, you will see that the default position with VR is too far back. Adjust your seat position so that the black ball covers the white ball and you are the correct distance away. That helps with clarity on the displays.

You are still too high after you have done this. Lowering yourself into a more realistic position also helps with clarity because again it puts you closer to the screens.

Maybe your chair moved? Cause the default camera position is not different between 2D and VR as far as I know and it is perfect in 2D. That means you probably just recalibrated it wrong.

• Then I suspect lots of people have done the same thing.

Every time I get in the C172 I shift my body to the left a little so I'm directly in front of the yoke. I also move forward a touch and up a touch. It would be nice to able to store this.

• The reason I suggest the Pitts on the ground at idle for a test of seating/eye position is that you should be just able to read the altitude error table - the rectangular sticker - just left of center on the glareshield and read the 10000 feet phrase on the Altimeter .if you can do that, you have your HMD sweet spot/IPD adjusted, eye position adjusted, and your Render Scale Factor set high enough. The outside view seems to be 20/25 or maybe 20/30 (and seems to require squinting - which does no good of course) and will be so until we get more close to 2K PER EYE and higher - come on PIMAX!! )

I just really appreciate what we have already with AFS2 and VR - it works pretty well. I also fly DCS and Combat Air Patrol 2 so I can fly in formation and even tank up.

Dave W.

• Every time I get in the C172 I shift my body to the left a little so I'm directly in front of the yoke. I also move forward a touch and up a touch. It would be nice to able to store this.

We need ChasePlane for AFS2. ;)

• One simple issue with VR piloting is simply not being close enough to the instrument panel, Make sure your eyepoint is directly above (look straight down) the front edge of your seat.

In Settings, ->Controls -> View -> Scroll to the bottom until you see the Move forward/backward/left/right/up/down commands and I used several of them with my POV hat so I could easily move right up close without needing so much leaning.

Then choose cockpits like F-15, F-8 with HUDs, , Jungmeister, Pitts, and a few others that really work well in VR. The Pitts especially should be very clear.

Render Scale Factor must be at least 1.5

Dave W.

Thanks Dave, Move forward/backward/left/right/up/down commands did the trick :)

Handy cultivation tools

Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift

• Homegrown VR and buttkicker beats Aerofly........ :D

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I use my Odyssey with the VR roller coaster sim "No Limits 2" and added a roller coaster chair bar (heavy iron pipe) for extra realism along with 2 small fans that vary in speed based on the sound/speed of the roller coaster itself. The rattle/shake sounds come through the ButtKicker to complete the experience!

Sorta "flying" on tracks :)

• If you look at the balls on the windscreen brace on the Q400, you will see that the default position with VR is too far back.

I installed my Rift again yesterday to see if my thoughts about the state of current VR were still valid and I noticed the balls in the Q400 were spot on...! Odd. Maybe something is wrong on your side?

Make sure your eyepoint is directly above (look straight down) the front edge of your seat.

That's way too much in front imho. I usually check if my head is in the correct position by looking at the co-pilot's seat. Moving forward like you do may make some stuff more readable but the position isn't realistic.

BTW My thoughts about the current state of VR haven't changed. After 5 minutes of squinting my eyes in the Q400 the Oculus was uninstalled again and I was happily flying in glorious 2D once more. ;)

• The sweet spot for sharpness is quite small in the rift, I find it needs to be slightly angled downwards, and the front of the HMD pivots to allow this. Even during use I have to keep adjusting it to keep the image sharp. Also getting the IPD right in the original setup procedure has a big effect.

Anyway, glad you like it.

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals

• 2 small fans that vary in speed based on the sound/speed of the roller coaster itself.

NICE ! Can you explain how you make it that RPM is via Speed Sound ? :) :)

mfg, Jens ... Flight-Sim.org

Mein Home-Cockpit ... My Simulator Hardware

MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4 --- SI INTEL Core i7-13700F 2.1GHz LGA1700 Tray --- Palit RTX4070 JetStream 12GB DDR6 --- 16GB DDR4 PC4400 --- SSD Patriot 1TB M.2 Viper VP4300 --- Pimax Crystal

Alles fliegt irgendwie,
    fragt sich nur wielange