Will the R22 be free or paid?

• I don't know but I have the feeling the days of freebies are over when it comes to DLC from IPACS. And rightly so. I was already surprised the Q400, the best plane of them all, was given away for free...! I gladly would have paid for that one! Looking at the time it cost to create the R22 and also at how much people want it IPACS would be utterly crazy to release it for free. I really expect (and actually hope) the R22 to be payware. ('Hope' because it would be good for the future of AFS2 and IPACS.)

• The R22 will be free.

8|=O:!::?:... You gotta be kidding...! I really didn't expect that! My goodness, you guys are totally nuts! 8o Are you serious?! You must be. Wow... :thumbup:I really don't understand it but well, I can't say I'm not happy with it LOL ^^ Consider your next paid DLC sold, no matter what it is. ;)

• Maybe it's free because it won't be released until Christmas 2019.

No, I'm just kidding. It should be released really soon now.....isn't it?:D:D:D

But seriously, I'm also surprised it's free. I think customers would certainly like to pay for such a great addon.

But I prefer it that way, of course.;)

• I always expected it to be free......

I almost see this more as adding a capability to aerofly. And adding the capability required a copter to demonstrate to third parties how it can/should be done.....

Well.... at least that's my take on it.

They could have charged for it, and people would have gladly paid, but I think they want a stable of default aircraft types: Jets, taildraggers (Yuck!) gliders, prop planes. and now copters.

I suspect the conclusion will be some sort of watercraft. (And maybe a Vtol?)

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Official Post

I always expected it to be free......

I almost see this more as adding a capability to aerofly. And adding the capability required a copter to demonstrate to third parties how it can/should be done.....

Well.... at least that's my take on it.

They could have charged for it, and people would have gladly paid, but I think they want a stable of default aircraft types: Jets, taildraggers (Yuck!) gliders, prop planes. and now copters.

I suspect the conclusion will be some sort of watercraft. (And maybe a Vtol?)

Yes you are spot on here. The R22 is the first helicopter for Aerofly and it's part of what was planned for the base of the product. It is also something that is much needed and makes the fleet complete (well, just not a seaplane just yet). It was also very much requested from the community when we were asking what everyone wants to see in Aerofly.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Great news that the R22 will be free, even though I and many others would have gladly paid for it. Very encouraging to see that IPACS are taking a long-term view on this, and that you consider a helicopter a necessary “tick in the box” in order to go mainstream with the sim. I know that I am an enthusiastic advocate for AFS2 and have recommended it to many of the guys I fly with on the line. VR is clearly the future for simming, and AFS2 is head and shoulders ahead of all others in this market! Excellent work IPACS - waiting with baited breath!!

Flying A330 as a day-job and enjoy VR-flying with PIMAX 5k+. NextLevelRacing v.3 Motion platform, Watercooled and overclocked i9-9900k, 32Gb 3600RAM, Samsung 970EVO Pro 2Tb m.2, nVidia RTX-2080Ti FE, Thrustmaster HOTAS, VKB pedals, Cockpitforyou motorised throttle quadrant, Precision Flight Controls Jetliner column

• I would have prefered to pay for it if only to establish an honest expectation that all of its bugs will get attention and will be fixed. There are several long term Aerofly aircraft imperfections that appear to have been permanently written off, the gear doors of the dear old Baron might not have been left dangling if it had been a true first class PC paid for aeroplane.

Are any of the aircraft in PC going to be income generating, has the concept been left behind with the move away from mobile? The gradual improvements to cockpit controls, instruments and physical interactions are pleasing and welcome, it is hard to see any further financial incentive such as a MS FS4 style 'technical pack', anyway realism should be for everyone.

• There are several long term Aerofly aircraft imperfections that appear to have been permanently written off, the gear doors of the dear old Baron might not have been left dangling if it had been a true first class PC paid for aeroplane.

In my eyes at least, Aerofly has gained a lot of "street-cred" with the community since the days when the various gateway guardians dismissed it as a game. (which is apparently akin to the scarlet letter within the community) :P

Now, it's pretty widely acknowledged as an up-and-coming sim, albeit with a lot of missing features people hope will eventually be added.

My criteria for the actual planes however, has always been pretty forgiving.

I've always thought that Ipacs needed to supply no more functionality than the default FSX aircraft, and that far more important was providing third parties the tools to take it further, with the R22 as an important step.

For myself, as far as aircraft, I really just want ipacs to complete the necessary system building blocks (And document them better!!) to hand off to the third parties.

More important to me are features whos current lack is borderline weird in an age when $9.99 plane games on Steam can accomplish them. Dynamic lighting (decades old tech!!) real water, better clouds (just about everyone has good clouds, at this point) etc.

Really basic stuff nowadays.

On the other hand, perhaps all of that is already in the works, and will abruptly erupt nearly out of nowhere with strangely little fanfare, like Florida and the recent vulkan update....... 8o

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

Edited 2 times, last by HiFlyer (July 29, 2018 at 1:15 PM).

• Owning the R66 from Alabeo, and using this one often it's one of the best heli for VFR due to it's super nice round windows...

So any Robinson heli is a great choice

BennyBoy. I5 8600K @ 4,3ghz, 16 ram, GTX 1060 6G @ UW @2560 X 1080. Sim: AF2 & P3D V4

• Whilst I would have paid for the R22 personally, that's because I am already a fan of AFS2. I think it's a good idea to include it in the toybox of the base game, so that it demonstrates the potential for payware stuff down the line. It helps make the sim an overall package with a range of different aircraft, and makes it more appealing to new users.

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals

• I can't wait for a helicopter, traffic and some weather so I can delete P3D and Xplane and free up that space for FS2 scenery, lol

• I can't wait for a helicopter, traffic and some weather so I can delete P3D and Xplane and free up that space for FS2 scenery, lol

It's pretty obvious that the R22 is around the corner.... and I'm sure this first heli is the hard one to do, I'm pretty sure 1 or 2 more will come. An small size to medium size heli fly about the same, it's nothing like a 172 VS a 747 :)

I kind of do care about some traffic but in the air, ATC, I have never use that in my life. Moving water, kind of nice but not a must. a SLIGHTLY better weather engine but not one that will kill the sim.

As to weather, if they could add a "fog" system that would be perfect. Maybe some variant sky color....

Cheers, Ben

BennyBoy. I5 8600K @ 4,3ghz, 16 ram, GTX 1060 6G @ UW @2560 X 1080. Sim: AF2 & P3D V4

• I kind of do care about some traffic but in the air, ATC, I have never use that in my life. Moving water, kind of nice but not a must. a SLIGHTLY better weather engine but not one that will kill the sim.

As to weather, if they could add a "fog" system that would be perfect. Maybe some variant sky color....

I don't think IPACS is into doing things just a bit. I really don't see them adding just a fog system. They will be adding a weather system that's almost perfect or they won't add anything at all. The same with ATC. Now obviously this kinda sucks because things are taking years this way but in the end... I do like their commitment to perfection. It's a double edged sword but in a few years time I think we will all appreciate IPACS has been doing it this way.

• When I say traffic, I mean multiplayer. ATC would be cool, but even if we had CTAF with PTT and it went to other people within 50 miles of us flying on our whatever frequency is on the COM, that would be great. While flying a helicopter...that would be orgasmic.