Still fly the beautiful scenery w/out VR?

• Hello All.

As yet I don't have the VR glasses. Xmas coming along and I'm dropping hints to the family. Anyway, am I still safe to buy scenery and fly without VR?

I really 'love' the setup in AFS2 that's why I fly it so often but I'm just concerned that seeing it the way people do, through those glasses it may change visually now, if you aren't wearing them.

The older contingent, that is the very old contingent will recall when 3D made it's first appearance and you needed those red/green cardboard glasses perched on the end of the nose, viewing was near impossible without them.

So can I safely buy the scenery without VR and still get good quality.

Jim.

Computer: PB Gaming 62000 Skylake Core i5 6600, Quad Core 3.3Ghz with Premium Cooling, 16GB DDR4 Gaming Ram, 250GB SSD, 2TB HHD, N'VIDEA GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5, DIRECTX12 Gaming Graphic's Card, VR Ready, Windows10 Home Edition, 64bit, 2 x 24" Widescreen HDMI 1080p VDU's

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Amateur Radio Station: ZL2BMH

• So can I safely buy the scenery without VR and still get good quality.

Of course you can. Scenery isn't created specifically for VR. VR simply uses what's there to make thing look 3D through VR glasses.

- In 2D the sim uses the available data to show you everything on one flat screen;

- in VR the sim uses the available data to show you everything on two flat screens but with a slightly different viewpoint.

That's it and that's all. In VR either eye is only seeing one of those two screens which is why you get that 3D effect. It's the EXACT same method as was used with those old stereo photographs! Only with VR you are using two screens in a headmounted device and the pictures are updates 90 times a second. ;)

Scenery will ALWAYS be usable for 2D and 3D. I myself don't use VR (I have it but don't like it) and I am buying every piece of scenery that gets released so... go on and buy it all! ;)

Edited once, last by J van E (July 31, 2018 at 12:58 PM).

• I would say it is the exact same method as in real life, two eyes, two slightly different images for the brain.

It's the EXACT same method as was used with those old stero photographs!

Regards,

Thomas

i7-14700KF @ 5.6 GHz, Geforce RTX 4090, 32MB RAM, 1TB SSD M.2, 1TB SSD M.2, 2TB SSD M.2, 32" Monitor 4K, Pimax Crystal

• In VR the cockpit will look 3D. Stereo vision does not give you a sense of 3D for the scenery because the left and right images are pretty much identical due to the distance. If you use a Fresnel lens to put your monitor optically at an infinite distance, the scenery will look 3D. This sense of 3D for distant objects comes from perspective, relative motion and knowledge. When looking at a monitor, stereo vision tells us that we are looking at a flat picture at arms' length. I used to fly flight sims with a fresnel lens and HUD-only view. The experience was much like VR, but with a wider field of view; you just could not look around you or get a 3D cockpit.

• One question that I would like an opinion on for someone wanting to buy into VR at the $400 USD or so price point is whether the Samsung Odyssey glasses are as good or better (increased resolution) and work fine in AFS2 - any owners out there? I have Oculus myself but would like to compare with the Samsung.

Dave W.

• I have an Odyssey and it works fine in AFS2. I've never tried a Rift but I have used a Vive for 20 minutes. I think you would notice an improvement with the Odyssey since it has 70% more pixels. It will also require a better graphics card for the same reason.

• Thank you everyone for your answers. It was extremely good reading, actually I learnt a lot.

Taranakian

Computer: PB Gaming 62000 Skylake Core i5 6600, Quad Core 3.3Ghz with Premium Cooling, 16GB DDR4 Gaming Ram, 250GB SSD, 2TB HHD, N'VIDEA GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5, DIRECTX12 Gaming Graphic's Card, VR Ready, Windows10 Home Edition, 64bit, 2 x 24" Widescreen HDMI 1080p VDU's

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Amateur Radio Station: ZL2BMH