Activation and BIOS Update

• Can someone confirm this? Every time, I update the BIOS the Activation of the Aerofly FS 2 is gone and I have to reenter the key which is only possible for one more time?

In the short time I run my Alianware PC I get from time to time an BIOS Update. Every time after that the Activation of AFFS2 was gone. First time I could reenter the key, second time I needed to contact the support for a new key which took some time because I bought the DVD at Aerosoft but both support worked fine.

Today I had a new BIOS Update and again the activation was gone. Luckily the new activation key was working but I expect I need to contact support again the next time.

What is the recommended way for a BIOS Update so I don't loss my AFFS2 activation?

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• What is the recommended way for a BIOS Update so I don't loss my AFFS2 activation?

Although, depending on your mainboard, there may exist different ways to do a BIOS/UEFI update, the end result is technically always the same - an updated, i. e. modified firmware in the CMOS chip of your mainboard.

As long as IPACS includes this in the (programmed) question "Is this a different computer than the one registered before?", you will always have to re-activate AFS2 after such an update. So there's nothing you as the (normal) user can do. Imho, it's bad design to include things like the firmware used in such a license check, though. So IPACS might change that.

• Still open...

What is the recommended way to do BIOS updates without loosing the activation? Or do I need to request new keys from IPACS support every second time?

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• Well, because normal system checks from Dell suggest to do so. And it is a quiet new model, so from time to time there are updates, also BIOS Updates. Why should I not update? Also I had important updates in the past for the previous laptop, since they made rubbish to control the fan until an update comes out.

So the only solution is to contact support? Or is there a possibility to officially unregister before the update without uninstalling the whole sim?

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

• To be honest, I've never updated my bios in the past (don't change a running system) ;) and I don't think many users do this.

Why do you update your bios that often?

Well, your system (or more specifically: BIOS) might be "running", but at the same time it could be insecure, plagued by known but unpatched vulnerabilities. Spectre and Meltdown are just recent examples of this:

• I believe that there are very few people that do this, and I wouldn't recommend updating BIOS unless you are having noticeable computer problems.

There are two common phases in the I.T. field, 'If it's not broken don't try to fix it' and 'Fix it till it's broke'

If anyone does this and has activation problems I suggest to simply contact us via email support and it will be resolved.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• It seems that I have exactly the same activation problem with the DVD version after a BIOS update.

Is there another way to contact the support than using the form available on https://www.aerofly.com/support/contact/ ?

No answer after two days :(

Thanks in advance for your help !

This is a very old thread. The only way for us to troubleshoot your activation issue is to email our support by filling out the form HERE

Also, please give us some time to respond as we are very busy.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff