Still important functionality features of the Q400 not available

• Went back after a while to the Q400 and discovered the recent update did nothing to recover the ILS display on the MFD during landings (by holding down the right mouse button over the FORMAT key, as I remember) after being discussed here at the forums that this feature would be recovered and it was important not to lose it :sleeping:.

• Previously we had right click available for this but now we need to detect if the button is held down long enough. There is no good way of doing this, it is doable but there might be a better solution soon, that is why I had decided not to hack in a temporary solution for a second time and waste more time with that but instead wait a bit until its time to add the final solution.

• and waste more time with that but instead wait a bit until its time to add the final solution.

Don't say this is a waste of time, please. AFS2 has demonstrated it can deliver very good and realistic scenery, but in my opinion, the weakest point of the sim remains the lack of functionalities of the aircraft fleet in general and the lack of addon aircraft in the market (other items already mentioned several times here in the forums like real weather, ATC, AI, Traffic, etc., as well).

Cheers, Ed

• Don't say this is a waste of time, please. AFS2 has demonstrated it can deliver very good and realistic scenery, but in my opinion, the weakest point of the sim remains the lack of functionalities of the aircraft fleet in general and the lack of addon aircraft in the market (other items already mentioned several times here in the forums like real weather, ATC, AI, Traffic, etc., as well).

Cheers, Ed

Agreed, although I also agree with what Jan said. The main problem lies in this sentence though:

but there might be a better solution soon

With AFS2 'soon' usually means in a few months or years. ;) It's the same old story about slow progress again. But as I posted elsewhere in the end I also prefer a good (to perfect) solution over a temorary fix. At least as far IPACS is concerned. Any fix that we can take care off ourselves (like the cold and dark state for the Q400) is welcomed by me!

• With AFS2 'soon' usually means in a few months or years. ;) It's the same old story about slow progress again. But as I posted elsewhere in the end I also prefer a good (to perfect) solution over a temorary fix. At least as far IPACS is concerned. Any fix that we can take care off ourselves (like the cold and dark state for the Q400) is welcomed by me!

In my opinion if IPACS wants to make AFS2 evolve into a much better simulator it should concentrate on aircraft functionalities. That would mean that more than half of the development time should be dedicated exclusively to aircraft.

That history of a perfect solution instead of a practical and good one makes me sick!.

Cheers, Ed

• In my opinion if IPACS wants to make AFS2 evolve into a much better simulator it should concentrate on aircraft functionalities. That would mean that more than half of the development time should be dedicated exclusively to aircraft.

That history of a perfect solution instead of a practical and good one makes me sick!.

Cheers, Ed

Er... I think that's already the case? What makes you think it isn't? They are working hard on the helicopter, for instance. And I do think ATC is part of 'aircraft development' because ATC also has to do with flight planning, FMS/FMC/MCDU's, GPS, AI, etc. The fact that new sceneries have been released does doesn't mean half of the team is working on that.

• Their's a thing that I do not understand, what's the difference between calculating the pixels's light level everytime the airplane moves and create a shadow and doing the sme thing for lights?

Well... One source of light against multi source? And shadows just darken the scenery (ok, it depends. If you would render the sun as a disk you would have half-shadows... ) where light is influenced by the material it hits.

Wish for Aerofly FS 2/4:

- Flightpath recording on hard drive and replay in sim from different view points

- Smoke for aerobatic planes

- Multiplayer or at least watching other people flying sitting on ground or inside tower

• Ed, you have to understand how our development works. Just because we are releasing scenery it doesn't mean that aircraft functionality is being neglected in the process. we have completely separate people for that.

In the last major update you seen two things, 1) a long list of fixes and new features for existing aircraft that Marc, Andras, and Jan worked on for the most part, and 2) a completely revised graphical rendering engine and the introduction of a new option for rendering, vulkan that was mostly Torsten. This as followed by the release of our South Florida scenery package that mostly myself, Stefan, and Michael worked on.

We all have different tasks, so when you say 'more than half of the time should be spent on aircraft functionality' is not accurate at all, we have dedicated people spending all of their time working on aircraft functionality. Just because you don't see one item that you want doesn't mean that any of us are slacking. You seen that last changelog, it was huge. So please keep in mind we are all releasing new stuff even while still working on other core features like ATC and the R22. We can all only work so fast.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Just because you don't see one item

Thanks, Jeff, for your answer. I understand your point. That *only* item is just an example, of course. There's also the completion of all the MCDU functions, the opening of the doors in a workable way, the aircraft startup situations, and some other depending on the aircraft you're considering.

I'm also sure you visit AVSIM frequently and if you read people posts about AFS2, you could realize most of them argue the limiting factor to jump into AFS2 is the lack of aircraft complexity/functionality. That's what your market (call it potential or real, whatever) is saying, like it or not.

So I only encourage you to progress further (and fast) on that regard to see this community growing rapidly and enjoying AFS2.

Cheers, Ed

• Thanks, Jeff, for your answer. I understand your point. That *only* item is just an example, of course. There's also the completion of all the MCDU functions, the opening of the doors in a workable way, the aircraft startup situations, and some other depending on the aircraft you're considering.

I'm also sure you visit AVSIM frequently and if you read people posts about AFS2, you could realize most of them argue the limiting factor to jump into AFS2 is the lack of aircraft complexity/functionality. That's what your market (call it potential or real, whatever) is saying, like it or not.

So I only encourage you to progress further (and fast) on that regard to see this community growing rapidly and enjoying AFS2.

Cheers, Ed

Ed,

all I can say is that we are nowhere near finished with Aerofly and as time goes on we plan on adding a lot more features including aircraft functionality.

As for the one item as an example that you mentioned, 'the opening of the doors in a workable way' , i'm not sure if you are using VR or just a mouse but please keep in mind that it has become much more difficult to handle these tasks because we have to now incorporate these types of functions into the VR Hands so that it all works well in VR. It may be more tricky using a mouse but in VR the function is smooth and natural.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Please for one second consider a real world pilot in a piston twin. Would he/she go for a flight in normal weather autumnal Europe expecting with high confidence to get to the destination with non functioning mixture controls and an inability to identify the nav aids en-route. Add to this broken cylinder head temperature gauges and frozen exhaust gas temperature displays. The various lever and knobs might move but that FS2 aeroplane needs a truely enormous overhaul or else needs to be scrapped.

Opening cabin doors is .... well secondary to the realistic operation of an aeroplane in the air, we can probably find an Xbox driving sim that could absorb that sort of pointless, marginal diversion.

A twin needs a fuel powered heater. Sort of a bit of real life stuff.

I can't afford a VR set-up but I admire the insight and success that IPACS have displayed in this field. It will get very well deserved attention, please make the best of it.

FS2 is obviously miles and miles ahead of the opposition, I only moan because it could be tons better if it didn't waste resources on trivia whilst endlessly defering screaming holes in the core sim. Please try to look at a thirty year old Frasca simulator or book a trial lesson in a twin on a grey overcast day.

It is the very best, it will get better and all the future add ons will be 100% excellent, absolutely worthwhile free or as in sim purchases.

Edited once, last by Overloaded (August 5, 2018 at 10:04 PM).