• The VR experience is amazing and the reason I only use AFS now, but I believe the following could be better in VR:

• The Oculus menu "Reset View" function doesn't work. I have to fumble for the keyboard and press space, which isn't always convenient with a headset on. (This one is pretty annoying).
    • Make the virtual hands invisible after no movement (within a threshold) for {x} seconds. Many of us fly VR with a real yoke, so my virtual hands are floating in the cockpit where I've hung the controllers temporarily
    • Do the "laser pointer out of your finger" thing for selecting from the menus. Jabbing at virtual buttons and then smashing info my throttle quadrant isn't the best
    • Allow the Oculus touch controllers to be easily remapped. Again, if you fly with a yoke, throttle and rudder pedals, that's a lot of useful buttons wasted
    • Allow the location map to be controlled with the touch controller buttons. The "pinch to zoom" thing works, kind of, but it's a bit clunky

And for bonus points

• A grabable virtual tablet on the seat next to you showing GPS, weather etc. That would be so cool.
    • The game could start in a virtual hangar next to a beautiful aircraft, give it some initial wow factor.

Not VR but while I'm here :)

• Search for airport by airport code on the location screen

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• Am I assuming that you are using the Oculus Rift CV1 and Touch controllers? If so, you shouldn't be having trouble here.

But here are some responses.

Please keep in mind that we spent a lot of time trying to make the controls universal so that they work seamlessly between using the Touch, Vive and even now WMR. With a focus on users being able to strap on their headset and use only their hands in VR for a fully immersive and realistic feeling. We have also tested many different combinations for users that use a yoke while in VR and this was the result.

The Oculus menu "Reset View" function doesn't work. I have to fumble for the keyboard and press space, which isn't always convenient with a headset on. (This one is pretty annoying).

The re-center VR view function is bound to the Touch MENU key and will re-center with a short press of that button.

Make the virtual hands invisible after no movement (within a threshold) for {x} seconds. Many of us fly VR with a real yoke, so my virtual hands are floating in the cockpit where I've hung the controllers temporarily

You can adjust the opacity of your VR hands by adjusting the slider located in the Aerofly settings

Do the "laser pointer out of your finger" thing for selecting from the menus. Jabbing at virtual buttons and then smashing info my throttle quadrant isn't the best

The laser pointer is the old way of doing things and that is how we initially had it for control. It's totally immersion breaking and never worked well. The whole concept here is so that you can hop into VR and fly with only your hands, and the majority of casual gamers out there that love our VR Hands would likely stop playing Aerofly if we ever changed to a laser pointer.

Allow the Oculus touch controllers to be easily remapped. Again, if you fly with a yoke, throttle and rudder pedals, that's a lot of useful buttons wasted

We made the control bindings to work with the Vive and Touch controllers. To make it universal we decided to not allow for the Touch buttons to be re-programmable because the Vive doesn't have most of those buttons. In the future we may open up just the couple of buttons on the Touch so that the user can choose the function he/she wants but it may be a bit down the road before we get to it. Bue keep in mind, the controls are all hard coded to work universally.

Allow the location map to be controlled with the touch controller buttons. The "pinch to zoom" thing works, kind of, but it's a bit clunky

We set up the main menu screens to act like you are holding a tablet, and touching the screen works best here.

Both of your bonus points I fully agree with and you may see these down the road a bit. Grabbing the tablet on a seat may be the way to introduce a way to read PDF's, charts, checklists, etc. from inside VR, and The hangar menu system was one of my ideas from even before x-plane implemented theirs. We just didn't get to it yet.

Be sure to check out our instructional section on virtual reality on our wiki HERE

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• You can adjust the opacity of your VR hands by adjusting the slider located in the Aerofly settings

The laser pointer is the old way of doing things and that is how we initially had it for control. It's totally immersion breaking and never worked well. The whole concept here is so that you can hop into VR and fly with only your hands, and the majority of casual gamers out there that love our VR Hands would likely stop playing Aerofly if we ever changed to a laser pointer.

Thanks Jeff, yes Rift and Touch controlers. To clarify a few things...

Reset view

Good to know the menu button resets the view, I missed that. This should also work as expected though..

https://i2.wp.com/skarredghost.c…ngapp.jpg?ssl=1

Hands

I sometimes do grab a controller and use the VR hands, so when I'm using them the default opacity is good.

I then put them back (actually hang them from my yoke stand - need a better solution!) so I can use the yoke. They're now pointing down and floating half way inside the cockpit, it looks weird is distracting.

Every yoke flyer is going to only want them visible when they're being moved or pressed.

I'm suggesting an "auto-hide VR hands" feature, default to off. A bit like how your mouse cursor hides in a video player.

Laser Pointers

I mean the laser pointer for selecting menus only, not flight. The hands are great for flight.

I get the design decision, but almost every other VR game uses laser pointers for start menu navigation, plus Oculus home itself does. Maybe it's just what Oculus has got everyone used to.

Anyway, maybe if you do the VR hangar thing the menus will need a rethink. They need to be on a some kind of stand / surface in the hangar rather in front of your face, blocking the view.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

Edited once, last by nickhod (August 11, 2018 at 6:53 PM).

• For the re-center VR menu button, you are using the wrong one if you keep bringing up the Oculus Dash screen. We only bound this to one controller as the other menu screen does what you see in your screenshot.

To be honest, we all hate those laser pointers, even for menu use.

As for the auto-hide hands, let me discuss this with Torsten. I wouldn't want it happening all of the time as it would be bad if you are using only hands and they keep disappearing. We would have to have a toggle in the settings to maybe say 'Make VR Hands invisible after 5 seconds' ON/OFF

I can't promise anything but I will discuss this internally.

If we change our menu system and add the VR hangar, yes, a lot would be changed here and we would have something innovative.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff