Is raytracing the future for flightsim

• @Rune - There are a number of new things about the new cards. Though Jensen Huang tried to say the 2080s were eight times faster than the 10s, that was an unfair comparison and he was speaking of the raytracing capability. The fact is that the 20 series has significantly more pixel renderers that do more per clock than in the 10s. In addition, the 20s have more and faster cache and higher bandwidth to faster memory. Not counting the RTX and DLSS technologies, dropping in a same level 20 series card (e.g. 2080Ti for 1080Ti) will get you an immediate performance increase as long as your system wasn’t limited already some other way. DLSS and RTX are bonuses on top of that. Where the speed increase pays off is in high frame rate applications like VR. There was an interview with an Nvidia engineer this week where he noted that the raw speed increase is in the range of 35-50% but benchmarks will come out in a couple of weeks which will tell the most accurate story.

While you are probably correct that DLSS and RTX aren’t supported yet in flight sims, that may not take long at least for DLSS. Getting DLSS support is free for the dev. All they need to do is submit their app to Nvidia so they can run it through their AI engine to generate the DLSS coefficients. After that, you get deep learning supersampling that effectively increases the resolution at much lower compute costs than regular supersampling. I’d be surprised if RTX gets implemented that quick but the driving sims are pretty much guaranteed to add it fast if you run those, and maybe some flight sims will add it eventually. You don’t have to implement it all at once either. It can be used just for better shadows which all the sims have issues with. And don’t forget that Jensen Huang discussed RTX is key for foveated rendering in VR. No headsets do super high resolution and eye tracking yet, but no headset really could before. Now that we have the rendering hardware to support that, new headsets will probably pop sooner rather than later. It’s now a race for the manufacturers.

As to buying the next iteration, the choices out right now are fairly limited and for most of them we don’t even know the clocking. The next iterations will be the higher tier with more fans and blinky lights in general, but in the 10 series, the differences in clocks generally weren't really significant percentage-wise. That said, we don’t know what the ceilings are but will fairly soon and probably before preorders start shipping.

Just my opinion, but for VR especially, I think the 20 series will be a significant uptick in performance that will come just by swapping cards. Anything else will be gravy. If headsets come out that need the VirtualLink interface and support eye tracking, there won’t be any other choice.

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, 2 dof Motion, Valve Index

• I'm one of those who will update to this new gen of Nvidia cards. I need to replace my GTX980.
    My biggest question is whether update to the 2080 or the 2080Ti. I'll have to see some reviews before I make my mind.

This is the one I have on preorder, which required me to practically live in front of my computer, refreshing the newegg page, and purchasing within 30 seconds of the item becoming available. Any longer than that, and it goes right back into sold out status. 8|

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc…N82E16814500434

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5