So I'm a noob, playing with ILS on the Beechcraft Baron 58.
I've already followed the excellent tutorial in the wiki.
What is the minimum interaction required to get the ILS working for a runway?
I thought it was just:
1) Take note of the ILS frequency in the Navigation screen.
2) Dial in the frequency on Nav 1 in the cockpit and shift it to active from standby.
3) Fly near the runway and use the ILS bars to line up landing.
This does not seem correct from my experience.
I'm not sure if the HSI and direction nobs or OBS and CDI affect the ILS at all.
I can use those for autopilot or general navigation assistance.
I have more questions from observations:
1) When I start flying, why do the ILS frequencies for the landing runway not match the Nav frequencies set in the cockpit?
2) When attempting to use ILS, why does the ILS, when set to landing frequency, sometimes appear out by X degrees on gauge?
3) When AP and APR are working, why does aircraft sometimes want to land well before the runway as if ground elevation incorrect, even when ILS gauge shows horizontal bar high?
I'd just like to know the minimum cockpit setup to use ILS, and some things that might go wrong.